Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5858 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174 ... 235  Next
 Wrestling (WWE, IMPACT, NXT, AEW) 
New Server, Same X

Post Re: Wrestling (WWE, IMPACT, NXT, AEW)
Decided to look back at Goldberg's only other SummerSlam appearance, in 2003, to see what amazing matches the card had.

La Resistance defeated The Dudley Boyz
Undertaker defeated A-Train
Shane McMahon defeated Eric Bischoff
Eddie Guerrero defeated Chris Benoit, Tajiri and Rhyno
Kurt Angle defeated Brock Lesnar (for the WWE Championship)
Kane defeated RVD
Triple H defeated Goldberg, Chris Jericho, Kevin Nash, Randy Orton and Shawn Michaels (Elimination Chamber for the World Heavyweight Title)

Man, the more things change, the more they stay the same. Goldberg wrestling, Orton fighting for a title, HBK likely will be present, Lesnar in a world title match. At least Shane is wrestling someone who can carry him this time.

This era of wrestling is where I got back into it heavy (2002-2010), so a lot of this is familiar but still seems so foreign. A-Train was a legit opponent for The Undertaker? Wow.

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:04 pm
New Server, Same X

Rowan? Rowan vs. Roman? Is this where we are? Hopefully it's just a bait and switch because one of the worst storylines of the year ending with Roman vs. Rowan would be the shit icing on the shit cake.

If they actually ruin Aleister Black like they've ruined every other NXT call-up... oh forget it. Lost cause already.

Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:45 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Still not watching WWE, really, aside from the Raw/Smackdown Top 10 moments.

A have a question...Why are Goldberg and Ziggler having a match at SummerSlam? I understand that having Goldberg on the card will "help" ratings/attendance, but he's one of those guys reserved for "dream matches."

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:01 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I'm not 100% on that either, because I skip a lot of both shows. They hyped it on RAW like it would be HBK vs. Ziggler, which makes a million times more sense even if it means HBK wrestling again.

In the long list of guys who deserve so much better in the last ten years, Dolph Ziggler has to be near the top. He'd be a strong player in 90s WWF. But in the era where WWE forces one guy as The Guy (Reigns) and another guy as their only worthy champion (Lesnar), Dolph is another in a long line of lost talent.

I'm only watching because certain things intrigue me. I love Kevin Owens right now. Some of the new talent, like Aleister Black, is exceptional. And who can not be into Bray Wyatt for the last four months? And after a disastrous run with Seth, Becky is where she should be. I wish she was having a match with Ronda at Summerslam, but maybe they'll save that for Survivor Series or Wrestlemania.

If Becky didn't have the character almost ruined, I think there would be a strong chance she'd get the better reception in Toronto. There's still a chance, but Canada is a tough crowd to predict. They'll likely still go for Natalya.

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:46 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Yeah, the clips I saw had HBK superkick Ziggler. Maybe it's setting up HBK actually helping Ziggler at SummerSlam to set a future Goldberg/HBK match at Survivor Series or a Super-Show Down/Saudi PPV?

I don't really get why you'd feed Ziggler to Goldberg, if they do go that route.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:19 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

That would make sense. And also if HBK wrestles his second match in ten years in Saudi Arabia, again, how can any of his fans cheer him in good conscience? If you're going to wrestle again, at least do one at home.

I forgot to mention how odd it is to have Charlotte Flair vs. Trish Stratus at Summerslam. It makes so little sense. Rookie (sort of) vs. Veteran matches are usually reserved for someone that needs it. Unless it's a Goldberg situation where the veteran is undoubtedly going over. I'm sure Trish won't be beating Charlotte. And Charlotte doesn't need the victory. Would have made more sense if Trish appeared on RAW a few weeks back, and Liv Morgan came out with a new gimmick. Someone that could build off a Trish win.

Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:34 pm
The Kramer

Tonight's Takeover has to be the weakest card in their history - I'm so burnt out on The Undisputed Era. Should be Gargano v Matt Riddle.

I do love heel Io Sharai though. So hot and definitely deserving of the grudge match spot on the show. :wub2:

Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:04 pm
The Kramer

OMG Goth Sombra Io. :wub2: :wub2: :wub2: :wub2: :wub2: :wub2: :wub2:

And maybe I'm just bias, but I thought the match with her and Candice was fantastic and stole the show. Probably the best women's match in at least a year, counting WWE too.

Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:49 pm
The Kramer

I guess Bray Wyatt is awesome now?

Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:48 am
New Server, Same X

Wow, once in a great while, WWE does things right.

-Becky and Natalya opening SummerSlam was a shock for me, but it set the tone for the night. As I suspected, the crowd was evenly split for both. And it wasn't booked that way, Renee was putting over Natalya while Corey was backing Becky. Becks was meant to be the heel of the match, but it didn't work out that way entirely. She needs to stay in this lane, after what was a disastrous post-Mania run against Lacey Evans and her partnership with Seth.

-We didn't need Goldberg last night. Dolph sure didn't. It was a pointless squash match that did nothing for either man. Goldberg didn't need a win, and Dolph didn't need another loss. Waste of both men.

-Kevin Owens being super over in Toronto was a no-brainer, but I think he's going to get that reaction regardless if they keep him going like this. Not much else to say, he's a potential star right now, if WWE doesn't fuck him over.

-Great to see Trish Stratus give a great potential last match. Although if WWE does another all-women PPV, I can't see how they don't have her perform again.

-Bray Wyatt is perfection right now. The icing on the cake was the lantern with Bray's old face wrapped around it. WWE has spent three decades trying every so often to replicate the creepiness of The Undertaker (The Boogeyman... Kane... the original run of Bray Wyatt...), but they may actually have someone right now that can replace Taker with the bone-chilling entrance, the intimidating character and the persona that is actually terrifying and not just silly.

-And in the end, WWE shocked me and everyone else with a wonderful main event. I went back after the match and watched Seth's face as Toronto more or less booed the shit out of him, and he looked damn heartbroken that the biggest moment of his career would be thwarted by bad booking and another Lesnar title run. But the beautiful thing about wrestling is the littlest of moments that become legendary. The Toronto crowd completely turned around on Seth and cheered him on as the match progressed, until a huge pop for his victory. Good on WWE, on Brock and especially on Seth for this one. They may have saved Seth Rollins on that one.

Going into RAW, I do hope Brock goes away for a while. His return is inevitable, but I'd pray they find some non-title matches for him. And wow, did WWE actually do a PPV with a respectable running time? It still ran almost three and a half hours (without the kickoff show), but I was expecting much longer. Look at WWE and Vince learning that less is more. Now let's get that Wrestlemania running time shorter than twelve hours and we'll be all set.

Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:41 pm
New Server, Same X

Some suggestions for the future of Bray Wyatt:

-I'm not a fan of squash booking over the lower-card performers. It was wise to have his first feud be against Finn Balor. But of course he can't steamroll the mid-card either. It could be wise to keep him away for another week or two before his next feud. I don't need The Fiend making short order of EC3 or Eric Young. Maybe his next one should be with Rey Mysterio. Someone that can afford to put someone else over.

-If they ever do Wyatt vs. Undertaker again, maybe forget about Wrestlemania. Taker has lost two Mania matches and last year's was barely a match. Then he didn't even appear this year. If he has it in him, do it at Survivor Series, where Undertaker debuted. Wrestlemania is no longer special for the Dead Man. The last remaining sacred event is where it all began. And where it could potentially all end.

-They were smart to keep the Firefly Funhouse Bray going. Maybe that's the key to keeping the character going without giving us too much of The Fiend. I would have pushed to have the Funhouse Bray wrestle in that persona as well, but I'm more mixed on how that could work. But keeping the Funhouse going would be good.

Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:51 pm
New Server, Same X

And I hate giving Brock Lesnar credit, but when he wants to have a good match, he can have a phenomenal match. Good storytelling, good selling, good action. But it takes us too long to get to those moments and matches where he's brilliant. And I could end up taking all this back if they do a rematch right away.

Actually I would imagine they could end up moving him to Smackdown for the big FOX debut.

Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:24 pm
New Server, Same X

In her home country and mentioning her deceased father one year after his death... Natalya still got booed. I feel bad. Kind of. I do think there's a genuine dislike from fans when people use real life tragedy to further themselves in wrestling, and it's possible she was fine with using Jim Neidhart's name and image last year in a feud, and again mentioning her father on RAW. It's a fairly cheap way to get any sort of reaction from a crowd.

It'll be interesting to see moving forward who gets the better crowd reactions between Sasha and Becky. The star of Becky has faded a lot. The Toronto crowd shouldn't be a beacon for the future. I believe there will be some level of disappointment in Sasha for any perceived rumors that she threw a fit at Wrestlemania after losing to The Iiconics and then went on extended break.

I also hope there isn't genuine animosity between her and Becky. The dangerous chair shot on Becky's head (crowd cam picked it up, showing Sasha getting over-excited with the swings) and the rough smack on Becky and Becky then kicking and shoving Sasha away. Looked a bit too genuine. If it were someone else, I'd shrug it off or assume they wanted it to look more real, but Sasha has a history of some recklessness. She did, after all, do a fairly unsafe move that cost Paige her career. Not to mention the oft-rumored real life hate between her and Alexa Bliss.

But that all aside, The Man vs. The Boss is a good way to go.

Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:46 pm
New Server, Same X

It's been a fun five-to-six months of Kofi's WWE Championship pursuit and reign, but... I think it's time he drop the title. Unfortunately Orton shouldn't be the one, unless he drops it a few weeks later to someone else. And I'm tired of the "heel threatens the babyface's family" thing. It's been done to death, even in the last year with Samoa Joe and AJ Styles. I don't find it compelling.

I do have an awful feeling that Brock Lesnar's no rematch for the Universal Title scenario will develop into him taking the title from Kofi, maybe on the FOX debut of Smackdown Live. I'd prefer if Brock switched to Smackdown, except that it means we'll likely get ANOTHER Brock vs. Roman Wrestlemania match out of it.

Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:55 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

WWE is finally becoming interesting again. Subscription renewal? Maybe. :P

The Fiend's debut was amazing. WWE did heavily edit his entrance after posting it on YouTube though, so I hope that isn't a sign they plan to tone him down. Don't do away with the severed head lantern, please. This character is far and away one of the most creative and all-out amazing in a very, VERY long time, and has that special mystique about it. Kudos to Bray. Don't mess this up WWE. His new, remixed entrance theme is also incredible.

Sasha Banks coming back as a heel is great. But I also worry about her behavior. It's hard to say how authentic all the backstage drama really is, but it does seem at least factual to some degree. I don't think the chair botch on Becky was intentional or anything, probably just her getting into the new role a bit too much. Of course, that can certainly be an issue. People really like to hate on Nia Jax for being too rough, and botching too often, but Sasha has a concerning history as well. That said, and as Mister Ecks said, The Man vs. The Boss could be an amazing feud.

Lastly... WTF is going on with Ziggler? I can only assume he's being handled this way because he's parting ways with WWE, but that's been a rumor for at least a couple years now, and it never actually happens.

Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:59 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Well I went from 35 weeks behind to about 19 in a month, so I will give my post Wrestlemania thoughts and then the next update will be all caught up, i think

- BECKY LYNCH! What can you say? It's weird because in the 2 years before this I think she kind of deserved to be buried as a mid carder, then she became the best promo of anyone. I guess this must be closer to her real personality or something? The main event was only decent though. I think it needed more kendo sticks and Charlotte moonsaulting them through a table, and I don't get the ending at all especially if they knew Ronda's intentions. I will miss Ronda, her intensity was perfect and she did as well as you could hope for in the ring. My favorite is when Becky calls her little weirdo. And Charlotte is the GOAT, she was too good of a heel to not be in that main event.

Kofi winning was a fantastic moment, and the build from the Elimination Chamber to gauntlet matches and Vince screwing him over and over again worked. Would be interested to see if Big E turns on him, the biggest obstacle storyline wise to the New Day is like Cena they can't give up the merchandise dollars, which is why they never became heel again even though that's how they became stars

- Triple H's match with Batista was a fun entry to his old man vs old man series, like against Sting a few years ago. Batista did great in the feud, the promo where he was spitting on the mic and saying give me what I want worked. I also liked the Shane vs Miz thing, I bought into the whole emotional family storyline.

- Reigns vs McIntyre was trash, I thought Reigns spearing him was only the halfway point of the match but then it just ended. I like Drew's character as this humiliating guy who hurts people, but much like Corbin who's the best heel in the business until he gets in the ring, he's just not good enough at having matches I guess. The period after Reigns went away was illuminating for who's not going to be the the guy going forward - when they tried to do that storyline with Corbin, McIntyre, Lashley beating up Braun, it was straight dreadful. Braun is in dope shape so maybe that'll change things for him, but I feel like there's not much they can do with him outside of destroying cars, saying get these hands and running people over outside the ring. Maybe if he talks like a regular person more of a genuine personality will come out? I think Nia Jax is in some ways more talented for womens because she is so charismatic

- I used to think it was just the part of my brain that doesn't work anymore, but I haven't been feeling AJ's matches for a long time. I would like to blame their good not great match on Orton (who is a constant source of confusion how he was ever the 1b guy in the business), but honestly it wasn't much worse than his recent ones with Bryan, Joe and Nakamura. Like how does the Bryan/Styles feud not deliver??? At 42, did he just get old? Or is he low key a guy like Orton that is half assing it?

- Happy trails to Dean Ambrose who I think could've had a great second act as a tag team wrestler if he stayed, he has the comedy playing off people down and the hot tag. I heard Sasha is disgruntled, though according to IMDB she appeared this week. I have never been the biggest fan on the main roster, but she never got to be a heel for real, I guess they don't like the smallest wrestler being heel, but it worked for Alexa. I hope my dream of seeing Bayley turn heel and HATING FUN comes true by the time I catch up.

- I'm not really bothered by Nakamura and Asuka getting buried. They can't talk. It is what it is. I hope they give Rusev and Nakamura some wins and the titles for a few B PPVs. More screentime for Lana's new haircut :wub2:

- Johnny Gargano NXT career is the stuff of legends from Ciampa feud to others like Andrade and the Revival as well. I can see why his main roster career could go either way as I realized after Alestair Black's suddenly looked like a cruiserweight after his call-up that all these guys look smaller on main roster. At the very least he and Ciampa can be a great tag team again if the latter is healthy.

Edit - Oh, I forgot to mention Rollins win. I guess that sums up his Wrestlemania

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:04 am
New Server, Same X

Corpse wrote:
Sasha Banks coming back as a heel is great. But I also worry about her behavior. It's hard to say how authentic all the backstage drama really is, but it does seem at least factual to some degree. I don't think the chair botch on Becky was intentional or anything, probably just her getting into the new role a bit too much. Of course, that can certainly be an issue. People really like to hate on Nia Jax for being too rough, and botching too often, but Sasha has a concerning history as well. That said, and as Mister Ecks said, The Man vs. The Boss could be an amazing feud.

The chair shots definitely weren't intentional, but they just show how reckless she can be at times, which has already resulted in someone retiring long before she should have. It's a double edged sword since typically the women have a harder time pulling off aggressive moves like chair shots properly and believably.

Reading Shack's post, I tend to forgot how special Becky really was from August 2018 to Wrestlemania. I don't know if WWE ruined her or if the persona worked best against Ronda Rousey and Charlotte. Sasha's return should answer that question for us. Could be the start of an incredible feud, but if any of the backstage drama surrounding Sasha is true, I don't want the audience cheering her over Becky.

Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:33 pm
100% That Bitch

I am glad I wasn't the only one who thought Becky was pissed when Sasha smacked her and then kicked at her. No wondr Alexa use is ha IMG the Career Sasha wanted. Lmao

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:45 am
New Server, Same X

I feel like WWE is genuinely on a decent course right now, for better or worse. It's a turning point to where they put out a product that will be better than recent years, or they could crash and burn in spectacular fashion. For all its strong points, here's some shit they went with this week:

-They've done a decent job building the tag team division with a few good teams, but they do the obvious storyline of throwing potential enemies together and making them champions. They just did it with Alexa Bliss and Nikki Cross, so now Seth and Braun are in the same boat.

-Never a fan of new talent attacking legends. One of the rare exceptions was when Bray Wyatt attacked Mick Foley, and promptly stole the mandible claw. Then they undid that awesome moment and had him attack Lawler this week. Didn't really care for that. It was a cool visual for Bray when he snuck up behind Lawler, but beyond that, he should only be used for feuds, not throwaway moments.

-The Roman Reigns saga is horrible. It started as an awful ending to Smackdown a few weeks ago and has only gotten worse. The only time it was interesting was when Samoa Joe almost turned face trying to help him. The "reveal" last night felt like some WWE circa 2003 crap. Roman Reigns has been getting almost respectable reactions lately, especially in his match with Buddy Murphy last week. Why waste him (and Buddy and Daniel Bryan) in this ridiculous storyline?

Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:39 pm
Devil's Advocate

Ok, random pre MITB thoughts:

- Boy, that was a long 6 weeks to get through, and I watched it in about 1. Some of those Raws were just disgusting and that they panicked and made a rule for Reigns to be on it isn't a great sign for their ratings. It was so bad that Sami Zayn is semi-getting over as a heel with one of the most overdone schticks you can do, criticizing the audience for being turning on people. Rollins as champion so far seems to be fledgling. Kofi happening at the same time hurts him - Rollins should be the one that's defending the championship on back to back nights and proving he's the anti-Lesnar, instead he spent the entire build doing tag matches and being protected like he's Reigns. I assume an AJ heel turn is coming, but I would find a Rollins turn more interesting, since AJ turning after MITB would make it almost the exact same as the Cena feud, especially if he puts the Club back together. The other way Rollins reign hurts Raw is they really need that midcard show stealer match now that he's above that and Balor is on SD - it would help to let Cesaro wrestle more often and bring back Ziggler, though.

- Happy to be spoiler-free for MITB cause I have no idea who's going to win either of them, and the male winner has to go on to be the champion after Baron and Braun both took Ls with it. I assume the original plan was Drew McIntyre, but he is obviously flopping as a main event talent so I would think they can't make him world champion anymore. Owens have been the perfect guy if he wasn't in the title picture. Would they be bold enough to go Andrade? Or boring ass Orton win on the way? (post MITB edit: oh. Well, I'd take it over Orton winning)

- I was a little disappointed they turned Owens heel as I liked him as a babyface, but if he becomes champion he could have a nice run, although I'd be happy if the Kofi storyline continued a bit longer. It's obvious that Smackdown is setting up for Reigns and Charlotte to be champions by the time they move to Fox. Charlotte always seems to take backseat this part of the year so she can be hot during Wrestlemania season.

- Forgot to mention this last post, but shoutout to Carmella for being demoted from Smackdown champion to R Truth's hype girl last year and making the best of it. You took the sourest lemons that life has to offer, and made something resembling lemonade.

- Lacey Evans is the equivalent of the male big men projects Vince has pushed in the past. She has the size and athleticism and a character, not to mention is hot as fuck, but is probably going to end up being a stiff. Becky is still doing good promos but my problem with her for years before the Man era is her matches were always B/B- and felt the same (straight fire, etc.) and it seems to be headed that way again. I would like to see her as a heel if she cools down enough, since the brief period she was against Charlotte like Evolution she was great.

- I'm surprised they put Daniel Bryan in the tag division instead of making him put over some young guys like Ali, feud with Balor, etc. Justice for Rusev and Nakamura, I thought Hardy Boyz even before the injury were just a transitional champ to let the Usos go to Raw before a heel team takes over, but I thought Rusev and Nakamura would be those heels : (

- Firefly Funhouse is the best video segment in a while

- Who's dick is Dana Brooke sucking? 3 years later they're still trying to make her happen?
- Who's dick are Hawkins and Ryder sucking? At least 6 week title reign is about 5 weeks and 6 days more than it needed to be. Is WWE trying to get their action figure podcast over?
- Chad Gable seems to be in a tag team for 6 months and then break up. Time for 205 Live.
- lol at the War Raiders-The Viking Experience-Viking Raiders sequence

- Braun trying to murder Sami Zayn was one thing, but even worse than attempted murder is throwing a chair into Renee Young

- He's been saddled with wrestling Robert Roode twice and Baron Corbin so far, but not sure Ricochet is going places on main roster. I liked him in NXT but on main roster he's coming off as one of those guys that once the novelty of his cool moves wear off he's not as good at the rest of putting on matches. He also really comes off like a midg against the Raw behemoths. I was more impressed by Cedric Alexander's first match, although he got to face Cesaro. Also it's early, but Alestair Black's video promos about how complicated he is are pretty rough, and I question if pushing him as a heel will work as he is relatively light.

- A guy I can't really get into: Samoa Joe. He seems to have everything (size, intensity, good talker, multi faceted technique) but it just doesn't work for me. The Mysterio feud is pretty dull.

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:34 pm
I'm Batman

NXT UK and All Out. Or College football? Decisions decisions.

Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:24 pm
100% That Bitch

Guuuuuurl, Tyler Bate literally gave the best performance of the year, what a fucking match. MOTY right there, oh WALTER was there too.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon Sep 02, 2019 10:02 am
100% That Bitch

Well... That came outta nowhere but BAYHEEL is here!

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:41 am
New Server, Same X

As with everything in WWE, it's either WAY too fucking soon or about a year too late. But it worked thankfully. Hopefully they don't half-ass it like last time they kind of had her turn but not really.

Meanwhile, in "way too fucking soon" news, Bray Wyatt cutting a Firefly Funhouse promo on Seth and Braun... I hope they don't propel him into the Universal Championship picture already. Surefire way to kill his momentum. Now I'm fine if he challenges Braun, assuming Braun doesn't win the title at Clash.

Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:29 pm
New Server, Same X

Will WWE adjust Bayley and Sasha to have them act more like heels in the wake of the 50/50 crowd reaction? Or will they let it ride like with Becky last year? I'd go full heel with them, do your best to get them hated. Otherwise they'll have to turn Becky heel, which wouldn't be a bad thing. It's going to be interesting to see how this goes forward. Sasha was dying off on her own until Bayley turned.

Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5858 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 168, 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174 ... 235  Next