Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 2019 Shows in Review 
Keeping it Light

Post 2019 Shows in Review
Let's go.

A
True Detective: Season 3

Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:57 am
Forum General

Post Re: 2019 Shows in Review
Glad to see you start this thread early stuffp, because I know by the end of the year I won't be able to remember a lot of these shows. Anyways, so far from what I have seen.

A
When They See Us: Season 1
Chernobyl: Season 1
What We Do in the Shadows: Season 1
Big Little Lies: Season 2

A-
Doom Patrol: Season 1
Stranger Things: Season 3

B+
Swamp Thing: Season 1
The Boys: Season 1
The Act: Season 1
Billions: Season 4
Dark: Season 2
Happy: Season 2
Barry: Season 2
Black Monday: Season 1
Cobra Kai: Season 2
Hanna: Season 1
Deadly Class: Season 1
Kingdom: Season 1
The Umbrella Academy: Season 1
Wayne: Season 1
I Am the Night: Season 1
Punisher: Season 2
The Society: Season 1
Brockmire: Season 3

B
Too Old to Die Young: Season 1
The OA: Season 2
The Widow: Season 1
Black Summer: Season 1

B-
Black Mirror: Season 5
Game of Thrones: Season 8
Chambers: Season 1

C+
Jessica Jones: Season 3
The Order: Season 1

Last edited by Dil on Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:48 pm, edited 17 times in total.

Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:20 pm
now we know

2019 shows I've watched
After Life

Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:48 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (final season) - A | Up to this shows usual high standard. Will be missed.

Planet Earth: Dynasties (season 1) - B+ | The last few years were better , but I like how they changed it up a little and focused on only one animal per episode

Umbrella Academy (season 1) - B | Very up and down, I will definitely watch season 2 though.

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:43 am
The Kramer

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (final season) - A | Up to this shows usual high standard. Will be missed.

Planet Earth: Dynasties (season 1) - B+ | The last few years were better , but I like how they changed it up a little and focused on only one animal per episode

Umbrella Academy (season 1) - B | Very up and down, I will definitely watch season 2 though.

Arrested Development (final season) - B+ | Arrested almost went out in style with a strong story involving Michael discovering family secrets and Buster on trial for murder. I was midly displeased by the production quality and a few narrative decisions though.

A Series Of Unfortunate Events (final season) - B+ | The first half of the season is rough as they struggled to stretch the thin plots of the later books into two episodes. The final three episodes are suberb though and I felt much more satisfied with the saga than I had when finishing the books.

Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:41 am
Keeping it Light

A

A-

Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:57 am
now we know

2019 shows I've watched
After Life - Series 1
Cobra Kai - Season 2

Thu May 09, 2019 10:05 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Planet Earth: Dynasties (season 1) - B | The last few years were better , but I like how they changed it up a little and focused on only one animal per episode

Arrested Development (final season) - B+ | Arrested almost went out in style with a strong story involving Michael discovering family secrets and Buster on trial for murder. I was midly displeased by the production quality and a few narrative decisions though.

A Series Of Unfortunate Events (final season) - B+ | The first half of the season is rough as they struggled to stretch the thin plots of the later books into two episodes. The final three episodes are suberb though and I felt much more satisfied with the saga than I had when finishing the books.

Our Planet (season 1) - A | Superb nature series and the best of its kind since 2016's The Hunt. I'm perfectly fine with Planet Earth's way of doing things, they always include a message of conservation at the end to encourage us to help these animals continue living and such. Our Planet is absolutely brutal in this regard though, mixing it in throughout the episodes and making you feel like a huge jerk for being human, but then they pivot at the end of each episode to show how conservation efforts are actually working and what else can be done other than 'care more'.

The Dragon Prince (season 2) - B | A slow start, but it recovered and resolved a lot of the person-to-person conflicts as we leave the world of humans and journey into Xadia (hopefully next year).

Game Of Thrones (final season) - B- | Very difficult to grade. I liked more than I didn't, but the bad stuff really dragged it down. Benioff and Weiss' decision to end the series at 73 episodes was an unforced error. Still, this was television at a level we have never seen and probably won't again for a long time. I'll always appreciate this show for everything it did right even if it stumbled at the end.

Tue May 21, 2019 12:43 pm
Keeping it Light

[quote="Flava'd vs The World"]

Wow, that came out this year...gotta see it.

Wed May 22, 2019 11:53 am
Keeping it Light

A

A-

B+

C

Mon May 27, 2019 12:26 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

I know who I am, and I can be very hyperbolic...

But Doom Patrol is just tremendous.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue May 28, 2019 11:05 am
Forum General

Chippy wrote:
I know who I am, and I can be very hyperbolic...

But Doom Patrol is just tremendous.

Finally something we can agree on Chippy lol. I don't feel you are being hyperbolic at all honestly, because it really is a fantastic show and I hope we get a second season.

Tue May 28, 2019 3:24 pm
Keeping it Light

A

A-

B+

C

Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:25 am
Forum General

Just finished Black Mirror: Season 5 and while I still liked it enough overall its a huge drop in quality from the previous seasons. It honestly makes me wonder why they even bothered, especially for only three episodes.

Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:40 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Swamp Thing is stupid good. What the ever loving hell? How can DC be so all over the place with their content? Doom Patrol, Swamp Thing, Legends of Tomorrow, all legit fantastic.

Everything else is all over the place in quality. Sometimes great! Sometimes very average! Sometimes bad!

I guess that's how it should be? Even the most consistent studio in Marvel has had a few duds, especially on TV.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:40 pm
Forum General

Swamp Thing is really solid so far and it's a shame about the cancellation because it and Doom Patrol are easily some best DC related tv shows I have ever seen, especially when you take into consideration how inconsistent the CW stuff can be.

Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:46 pm
Keeping it Light

A
Chernobyl

A-

B+

C

Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:10 pm
The Kramer

Planet Earth: Dynasties (season 1) - B | The last few years were better , but I like how they changed it up a little and focused on only one animal per episode

Our Planet (season 1) - A | Superb nature series and the best of its kind since 2016's The Hunt. I'm perfectly fine with Planet Earth's way of doing things, they always include a message of conservation at the end to encourage us to help these animals continue living and such. Our Planet is absolutely brutal in this regard though, mixing it in throughout the episodes and making you feel like a huge jerk for being human, but then they pivot at the end of each episode to show how conservation efforts are actually working and what else can be done other than 'care more'.

The Dragon Prince (season 2) - B | A slow start, but it recovered and resolved a lot of the person-to-person conflicts as we leave the world of humans and journey into Xadia (hopefully next year).

Game Of Thrones (final season) - B- | Very difficult to grade. I liked more than I didn't, but the bad stuff really dragged it down. Benioff and Weiss' decision to end the series at 73 episodes was an unforced error. Still, this was television at a level we have never seen and probably won't again for a long time. I'll always appreciate this show for everything it did right even if it stumbled at the end.

Veep (final season) - A | Now here was a final season that didn't let anyone down, and somehow kept on the tradition of each season of Veep being better than the last (I never thought they'd top Catherine's documentary story.) While it was also very good as a political farce, the show became almost a farce of itself as we watch people like Jonah and Richard rapidly ascend the ranks of power. That's dangerous territory, and why we have the phrase jumping the shark, but Veep somehow managed to keep it all together, even as Selina trades every good thing she's ever done (which wasn't much to begin with) for one more chance at the highest office. Bravo.

Barry (season 2) - A+ | The best show on TV. It's a perfect balance of crime thriller and heartful comedy, quite the opposite of Barry's actual life in the show. The Ronnie/Lilly episode is already a legend. And that didn't even have the best character, Noho Hank, in it!

Love, Death and Robot (season 1) - B | Some episodes were not great, including the first one I got Sonnie's Edge that almost turned me off the series. The very next about the robots and cats was my favorite though, and there are definitely more good than bad. It's a mix of Heavy Metal and Black Mirror.

Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:55 pm
Keeping it Light

A
Chernobyl

A-
Big Little Lies: Season 2

B+

C

Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:34 am
The Kramer

Veep (final season) - A | Now here was a final season that didn't let anyone down, and somehow kept on the tradition of each season of Veep being better than the last (I never thought they'd top Catherine's documentary story.) While it was also very good as a political farce, the show became almost a farce of itself as we watch people like Jonah and Richard rapidly ascend the ranks of power. That's dangerous territory, and why we have the phrase jumping the shark, but Veep somehow managed to keep it all together, even as Selina trades every good thing she's ever done (which wasn't much to begin with) for one more chance at the highest office. Bravo.

Barry (season 2) - A+ | The best show on TV. It's a perfect balance of crime thriller and heartful comedy, quite the opposite of Barry's actual life in the show. The Ronnie/Lilly episode is already a legend. And that didn't even have the best character, Noho Hank, in it!

Love, Death and Robots (season 1) - B | Some episodes were not great, including the first one I got Sonnie's Edge that almost turned me off the series. The very next about the robots and cats was my favorite though, and there are definitely more good than bad. It's a mix of Heavy Metal and Black Mirror.

Stranger Things (season 3) - A- | Another strong year for the Stranger crew. They've really got the pacing down on this show as it really felt like an 8 hour movie, the story always moving forward. The new characters/villains were all welcome additions as well, nobody was a distraction or made a really dumb decision for the sake of plot.

Veronica Mars (season 4) - A- | Wonderful to back in Neptune with the Mars family. Seeing how much/little they have grown as people was worth bringing it back by itself, the murder mystery of the season being so compelling was just a bonus.

Glow (season 3) - B+ | The middle of this season, particularly the episode where they all switch characters, is as strong as the show has ever been. It may have tried to be Mad Men a little too hard, but we are still in a good place with this show and I look forward to seeing where it goes next.

Los Espookies (season 1) - A- | The surprise of the year thus far. Six episodes was not enough of this random humored team of independent horror effects artists that find themselves creating fake scares in increasingly dangerous situations. Ursala and Andes are dynamite characters, Renaldo's earnestness drives the plot and every time you wonder if Tati is too much she delivers a huge laugh.

Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:17 pm
The Kramer

Love, Death and Robots (season 1) - B | Some episodes were not great, including the first one I got Sonnie's Edge that almost turned me off the series. The very next about the robots and cats was my favorite though, and there are definitely more good than bad. It's a mix of Heavy Metal and Black Mirror.

Stranger Things (season 3) - A- | Another strong year for the Stranger crew. They've really got the pacing down on this show as it really felt like an 8 hour movie, the story always moving forward. The new characters/villains were all welcome additions as well, nobody was a distraction or made a really dumb decision for the sake of plot.

Veronica Mars (season 4) - A- | Wonderful to back in Neptune with the Mars family. Seeing how much/little they have grown as people was worth bringing it back by itself, the murder mystery of the season being so compelling was just a bonus.

Glow (season 3) - B+ | The middle of this season, particularly the episode where they all switch characters, is as strong as the show has ever been. It may have tried to be Mad Men a little too hard, but we are still in a good place with this show and I look forward to seeing where it goes next.

Los Espookies (season 1) - A- | The surprise of the year thus far. Six episodes was not enough of this random humored team of independent horror effects artists that find themselves creating fake scares in increasingly dangerous situations. Ursala and Andes are dynamite characters, Renaldo's earnestness drives the plot and every time you wonder if Tati is too much she delivers a huge laugh.

What We Do In The Shadows (season 1) - A | Absolutely delightful. The episodic nature works so well that its one of the few movie adaptations to actually improve on its source material.

Disenchanted (season 2) - A- | Massive improvement over the first season. The main reason: Elfo, Luci and Zog were basically just extensions of Bean in season 1, but now they're their own characters who get their own side adventures and everything. Makes it feel like a proper Matt Groening show.

Wu Assassins (season 1) - B | Mostly just checked this out for Iko Uwais, and he would atleast bring some cool fights, but it turned out to be a solid series. Really enjoyed the family-you-choose dynamic between the main characters. If anything, the fantasy stuff only brings the show down with its long-winded expositions, but they usually lead to more fights so its cool.

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia - C+
Bojack Horseman - A
Fleabag - A-
Watchmen - A
Rick and Morty - A-
South Park - C+
The Good Place - B+

Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:08 pm
The Kramer

What We Do In The Shadows (season 1) - A | Absolutely delightful. The episodic nature works so well that its one of the few movie adaptations to actually improve on its source material.

Disenchanted (season 2) - A- | Massive improvement over the first season. The main reason: Elfo, Luci and Zog were basically just extensions of Bean in season 1, but now they're their own characters who get their own side adventures and everything. Makes it feel like a proper Matt Groening show.

Wu Assassins (season 1) - B | Mostly just checked this out for Iko Uwais, and he would atleast bring some cool fights, but it turned out to be a solid series. Really enjoyed the family-you-choose dynamic between the main characters. If anything, the fantasy stuff only brings the show down with its long-winded expositions, but they usually lead to more fights so its cool.

It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia - C+
Bojack Horseman - A
Fleabag - A-
Watchmen - A
Rick and Morty - A-
South Park - C+
The Good Place - B+
The Witcher - B
The Mandalorian - A-
His Dark Materials - A-

Pretty good year overall.

Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:16 am