Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 General new series thread 
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: General new series thread
The Twilight Zone reboot is pretty mediocre. It makes more sense when realizing this isn't actually Jordan Peele's baby creatively, he didn't direct or write any of the episodes. He's just executive producer/host and was in the works to do this before his career blew up the last few years. It's too bad because a real Jordan Peele Twilight Zone series would have no doubt been amazing. I think CBS All Access is doing a low key stellar job getting the right projects to put them on the map (The Good Fight, Star Trek, Twilight Zone, The Stand, etc.) despite not having the same budget as a Netflix, but whether that means quality is a different story. They are CBS after all

Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:53 pm
Sbil

Have to give major props to The Act on Hulu. Devastating and sinister portrayal of a tragic/bizarre real life event. Patricia Arquette and Joey King are giving awards worthy performances.

Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:42 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I actually enjoyed The Comedian episode of Twilight Zone. Not willing to pay for CBS All Access though.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:05 pm
New Server, Same X

Canada is awesome cause we get The Twilight Zone on free TV.

I really enjoy it so far. Both first episodes were fun. I want to see a darker, more horror-centric anthology series, but my knowledge of The Twilight Zone is limited so it's probably close to what the original went for. That said, I like it and I hope it does well and attracts some bigger names to do episodes, in front of and behind the camera.

Episode Three is a tad heavy-handed.

Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:47 pm
now we know

So I've watched After Life three times now. It certainly has the rewatchability factor like Extras and The Office. I love it when a new Gervais series comes out. It tops up my worldviews and philosophical outlook, plus they're hilarious.

I'm not quite sure Gervais pulls off the grieving character that well. He seems to be too much of himself. But the supporting characters are what make this a true winner. Paul Kaye as his psychiatrist is gold. Just his manner and the way he expresses himself. He's a total wanker but I loved it. Then there's Joe Wilkinson as the postman (aptly named Pat), Tony Way as the newspaper's photographer, and then there's Roisin Conaty who plays a prostitute that befriends Gervais. But one of the standouts is Penelope Wilton. The chats they have are poignant, and they have a charming understanding of one another.

Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:25 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Episode 4 of The Twilight Zone was the best one so far. Written by Glen Morgan, a veteran X-Files writer, it felt creepy and well-developed. The show has so much potential, and if it stays in this lane, it'll work. Last week's just felt obvious and hammered you over the head with its message. I'm not saying it was bad, it just could have used more subtlety.

Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:32 pm
Extraordinary

Maybe I'm just a sucker for the Twilight Zone name, but I've been enjoying the series so far. I look forward to a new episode each week. Kind of gets eye rolly with the SJW items peppered in what seems like every episode so far but whatever. I've liked them all anyway though the first one was a bit bleh. One thing I don't like is the unnecessary use of swear words. Just not needed. I've also been watching Discovery to catch up on that and they got swear words in their too. Pfft.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:32 am
New Server, Same X

It's not bad at all. One major criticism I might throw at it is that it has a bit of that CSI glossy look to it sometimes, which I hate for a show like this. It comes across like cheap TV then, and it should look better than that. I'm sure it has to do with budget, but it's how I feel.

Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:31 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Netflix' Dead to Me is a nice surprise .

Entertaining show. 10 half hour episodes breeze by. Cardinelli and Applegate have great chemistry. Funny, touching - worth watching.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu May 23, 2019 9:23 pm
New Server, Same X

The Twilight Zone was very hit and miss. Some worked well, some didn't. I'll still watch Season 2.

Anyone watching NOS4A2? It was extremely slow getting going, but I'm almost caught up to episode 5 and I kind of like it. It's hard recommending these shows because it is a slow burner, but I appreciate where it's going. Can't imagine it'll get renewed so I hope Season 1 kind of wraps up the main story.

Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:47 pm
New Server, Same X

I had no idea there was a show called What Just Happened??! With Fred Savage, but saw that Vince Gilligan and Kevin Smith were both guests on what I assumed was a cheap summer talk show.

Man. I'd like to know who thought this show would work. It's basically a (partially?) scripted parody of after-shows (like Talking Dead), serving as an aftershow to a fake FOX drama called The Flare. It's like The Earliest Show (Ben Schwartz and Lauren Lapkus fake morning talk show on Youtube, which is actually pretty funny) but with zero comedy and zero reason to exist. Why do a fake aftershow about a fake show? Why have guests pretend the fake show exists? Why not just do a genuine talk show? Fred Savage is a likable guy, but he's turned up to 100 here, which is not at all how Chris Hardwick is. I've never seen Andy Cohen's show, so maybe that's more what they're going for. But again... why?

I can't believe I'm talking this much about the show, but it's abysmal and would probably just confuse most people because it sure doesn't back up its flimsy reason to exist with actual entertainment.

Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:52 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I... disagree that Fred Savage is likable.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:51 am
New Server, Same X

Really? I think in the right format, he can pull off his overly excitable persona. He can just give way too much most times, which makes him come across as desperate.

I also tried The Rook on Starz. My attraction to Olivia Munn wasn't enough to hold my interest. It felt like a bore to sit through for an episode and a half.

Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:39 pm
New Server, Same X

Also, when did the summer become the age of the primetime game show again? Every network has given over countless hours to game shows. Match Game, Beat Shazam, Card Sharks, Press Your Luck. And why are fairly big names hosting them? Is the money that good? Jamie Foxx, Elizabeth Banks, Kevin Hart. Even Joel McHale and Alec Baldwin seem like they could do better than game show hosts, but here they are.

Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:42 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I liked him somewhat on Friends from College, but always found something unlikable about him when he's just being himself. (could be my boy meets world bias?)

As for game shows, I think it's seen as a time where people are vacationing a lot, so they can't put anything of substance on TV. So... game shows! You don't have to follow a storyline. idk! Even Netflix has em!

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:05 pm
New Server, Same X

Anyone watch Killing Eve? I finally watched Season 1 and I'm now starting Season 2. I kind of love the unpredictable nature of the show. Things can happen and change so fast, and I genuinely never know where they'll go. Sandra Oh gets a lot of the accolades, deservedly, but Jodie Comer is equally fantastic.

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:00 pm
Devil's Advocate

The Boys is really good. The best Amazon show easily

Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:57 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Mister Ecks wrote:
Anyone watch Killing Eve? I finally watched Season 1 and I'm now starting Season 2. I kind of love the unpredictable nature of the show. Things can happen and change so fast, and I genuinely never know where they'll go. Sandra Oh gets a lot of the accolades, deservedly, but Jodie Comer is equally fantastic.

Yes have seen both seasons and loved it.

Sandra Oh is fantastic but i'd say Comer is even better. Yes she has the showier role but she plays her character with such great aplomb - she does steal the show.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:11 am
Waitress in LA

First episode of Les Norton came out last night. Loved the books as a teenager, so wasn’t sure about the casting, but it pulls it all off pretty well. Like a sillier 80s version of Mr Inbetween only way more Aussie, with slightly worse acting. Humour’s hit and miss but overall still makes for some quality viewing. Worth a look!

Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:19 am
New Server, Same X

I'm a big fan of Preacher, the series and the comic book, but I don't like how rushed Season 4 feels just two episodes in. I've been catching up on the comic and I'm in the middle of Volume 5 (of 9) and it's basically around where the show is now. It would be like if Game of Thrones had covered the first three books, then had the last season to cover the remaining books and whatever GRRM hadn't written.

I don't know how they'll adequately wrap the show up in the remaining eight episodes. I know it's basically a loose adaptation, considering almost all of Season 1 is not in the comics, but they stayed pretty close to the material for Season 2 and 3.

And the show has a super fake look to it this year, likely due to the new location and probably a reduced budget. Too bad considering the show was good up to this point.

Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:54 pm
New Server, Same X

I don't know where else to post this, but all the controversy surrounding Sean Spicer being on DWTS is hilarious. How is this a shock? They've made a series based on controversial casting all along. Heather Mills shortly after her mega-divorce from Paul McCartney, Rick Perry after his failed presidential bid, Marla Maples because Donald Trump was the Republican nominee, Ryan Lochte after his 2016 Olympics fiasco. Not to mention every imaginable athlete missing arms, legs, vital organs and everything in between, because who doesn't want a success story on a schmaltzy, campy dancing show with D-list celebrities?

Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:19 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I'd imagine none of those people said Hitler "never used chemical weapons".

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:57 am
New Server, Same X

Canada is now airing Swamp Thing, which I vaguely knew existed, and surely didn't know it was cancelled just as fast as it premiered. The pilot isn't bad but it's not grabbing me. It's probably in the back of my mind that the series is pointless to invest in at this point.

Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:23 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I mean, it's a quick 10 episodes. And there's some great SWAMP THING stuff in there. Some real gory stuff and some top notch character acting, especially from Will Patton and Kevin Durand.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:15 pm
100% That Bitch

If you aren't illiterate and can read subtitles, I'd 100% recommend both, La Casa de Las Flores, La Casa de Papel and Elite.
Mexican and Spain's Netflix. That would require to you know... Read (unless you like the dubbed versions, which is a No). They're great and different genres (dramedy, drama, action, thriller).

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 154 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next