Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 2001: A Space Odyssey 

What grade would you give this film?
A 74%  74%  [ 26 ]
B 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 35

Extraordinary

Post Re: 2001: A Space Odyssey
I guess what I'm thinking at the moment is something like....
every coordinated nuance in decorating the future contributes to the fulfillment of Kubrick's schoolboy fantasy. the film's intellectual antihumanist basis is secondary to, and contradicted by, Kubrick's self-satisfied cleverness, and in taking on such broad-minded themes, the neverending attention to detail and rigorously composed frames force the viewer to relate with the film from its making, on the exterior, rather than with film itself. I really think 'craft,' is the best word for it.

Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:41 am
Extraordinary

basically, kubrick's playing humbert humbert here.

Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:43 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:45 am
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Eyeing little girls with bad intent.

Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:46 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Luckily, he'll never get past the censors.

Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:57 am
now we know

I'd heard great things about this, so I decided to eventually watch it today. When I've seen the cover over the years I always thought that it was Pierce Brosnan in that suit, no idea why, just never paid close attention to it. It kind of looks like him at a quick glance (and if you haven't seen the film and don't know it isn't him).

The beginning is fine, the apes are there with the black slab (the monolith, I believe), then one of the apes has a psychological surge and becomes 'technologically superior' and thus begins the story of how humans became. The black slab is important, though I'm not sure how or why. I guess, because it sort of affects the computer system (HAL 9000) on the spaceship too, that it is some sort of magic slab that enables otherwise second-class entities to become dominant. The film certainly shows a time when humans were given control and then when it was taken back.

I can describe the film in a word: tedious. I think the movie is really a 30 minute spectacle, but because everything moves so slowly, they eeked it out to a 2 and a half hour experimental experience. The long passage of space crafts and planets with music being played (at the start of the 2nd act) was totally unneeded, as was the part at the start of act 3 with all of the lights and the eye ball close-ups - in fact it reminded me of Tree of Life's going-off-on-a-tangent scenes. At the end there is a shot of Earth next to a baby's foetus, I guess he's making a comparison between how they are formed - but I don't get the relevance of the whole movie (the spaceship scenes) to that (perhaps he;s making different points, I don't know). That whole scene of him in the room with the bed and chairs at the end...I don't think Kubrick has a clue what that means himself. Trying to be artsy. Regardless, I don't care to know what it was all about any more. I've read comments earlier in this thread and I was on the right lines of the point of the movie, but not exactly on it. I've lost interest, and I want to forget this bad experience as soon as possible.

I thought it was going to get good again when HAL 9000 said "I'm sorry, I can't do that", but it didn't. The pace absolutely kills any excitement or interest, not that I had any to begin with. One thing I don't get is the black screen at the start with music playing for 5 minutes, then again at "INTERMISSION", then again after the credits. WTF?!

This is probably the most boring movie I have ever seen. It's certainly the worst science-fiction movie I have ever seen, perhaps even the worst non-violent movie I have ever seen. Kubrick is incredibly overrated. He's done a sci-fi (this) which was shit, a war movie (Full Metal Jacket) which was ok, a horror (The Shining) which was ok, he made A Clockwork Orange which is shit, and he finished his career with Eyes Wide Shut which was amazing. Weird career. Also, I don't think sci-fi got good until the 80s.

I was surprised to see Rising Damp's Rigsby in one of the early scenes.

F

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:55 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Algren wrote:

I'd heard great things about this, so I decided to eventually watch it today. When I've seen the cover over the years I always thought that it was Pierce Brosnan in that suit, no idea why, just never paid close attention to it. It kind of looks like him at a quick glance (and if you haven't seen the film and don't know it isn't him).

The beginning is fine, the apes are there with the black slab (the monolith, I believe), then one of the apes has a psychological surge and becomes 'technologically superior' and thus begins the story of how humans became. The black slab is important, though I'm not sure how or why. I guess, because it sort of affects the computer system (HAL 9000) on the spaceship too, that it is some sort of magic slab that enables otherwise second-class entities to become dominant. The film certainly shows a time when humans were given control and then when it was taken back.

I can describe the film in a word: tedious. I think the movie is really a 30 minute spectacle, but because everything moves so slowly, they eeked it out to a 2 and a half hour experimental experience. The long passage of space crafts and planets with music being played (at the start of the 2nd act) was totally unneeded, as was the part at the start of act 3 with all of the lights and the eye ball close-ups - in fact it reminded me of Tree of Life's going-off-on-a-tangent scenes. At the end there is a shot of Earth next to a baby's foetus, I guess he's making a comparison between how they are formed - but I don't get the relevance of the whole movie (the spaceship scenes) to that (perhaps he;s making different points, I don't know). That whole scene of him in the room with the bed and chairs at the end...I don't think Kubrick has a clue what that means himself. Trying to be artsy. Regardless, I don't care to know what it was all about any more. I've read comments earlier in this thread and I was on the right lines of the point of the movie, but not exactly on it. I've lost interest, and I want to forget this bad experience as soon as possible.

I thought it was going to get good again when HAL 9000 said "I'm sorry, I can't do that", but it didn't. The pace absolutely kills any excitement or interest, not that I had any to begin with. One thing I don't get is the black screen at the start with music playing for 5 minutes, then again at "INTERMISSION", then again after the credits. WTF?!

This is probably the most boring movie I have ever seen. It's certainly the worst science-fiction movie I have ever seen, perhaps even the worst non-violent movie I have ever seen. Kubrick is incredibly overrated. He's done a sci-fi (this) which was shit, a war movie (Full Metal Jacket) which was ok, a horror (The Shining) which was ok, he made A Clockwork Orange which is shit, and he finished his career with Eyes Wide Shut which was amazing. Weird career. Also, I don't think sci-fi got good until the 80s.

F

No one could write the above review with a straight face - - now I know for sure that you're just punking us!

Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:21 am
now we know

Ok Bradley, you love the movie, it's your favourite. I'm happy for you. You don't have to criticise people that don't share your love.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:01 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Algren wrote:

F

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:52 pm
Profile WWW
Another You

I can understand one person hating this but liking Clockwork, but to hate both films is totally not cool. :disgust:

Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:16 am
Extraordinary

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
No one could write the above review with a straight face - - now I know for sure that you're just punking us!
Algren wrote:
Ok Bradley, you love the movie, it's your favourite. I'm happy for you. You don't have to criticise people that don't share your love.
OMG - - you were serious?!? Then you have my deepest condolences. :(

Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:33 am
now we know

2001 wrote:
I can understand one person hating this but liking Clockwork, but to hate both films is totally not cool. :disgust:

That's fine with me because I'm not trying to be cool. I've recently drafted a list of my 100 worst movies and they both feature in the Top 20. I'll post soon.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:48 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I would much rather see your 100 favorite films.

Negativity tends to be boring.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:52 am
now we know

David wrote:
I would much rather see your 100 favorite films.

Negativity tends to be boring.

I've done both. I'll post at the same time. My Top 100 needs to be re-jigged a little though as the last time I did it as about 7 years ago.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:02 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

“I don’t like to talk about 2001 much because it’s essentially a nonverbal experience. Less than half the film has dialogue. It attempts to communicate more to the subconscious and to the feelings than it does to the intellect. I think clearly that there is a basic problem with people who are not paying attention with their eyes. They’re listening. And they don’t get much from listening to this film. Those who won’t believe their eyes won’t be able to appreciate this film.”

- Stanley Kubrick

Sat May 25, 2013 7:28 am
Keeping it Light

This is one of the harder films to judge after seeing, it maybe even needs a re-watch to be more sure on how I feel about it, but I wouldn't want to because the film feels so long due being so slow at parts, it even made me doze off. Now the middle part of the film, with Hal becoming self aware the film is at its best and it's riveting. The first and last part are interesting too, I enjoyed watching them, even though I wasn't really able to connect all the dots. Especially the ending, of which I can't say I'm sure of the way to understand it. The art direction and score of the film feels pretty unique, like something I've never experienced before, and in some sense Kubrick seems very visionary in this sense. It could also be that he was just completely high in the way he executed this. So I like it and appreciate how it explores certain elements, but at times it's also just low on sentience, that I'd have to say it's a film of peaks and valleys (like before, during and after a psychedelic experience). Keir Dullea is also great as the astronaut going one on one with Hal, and now I know there is a sequel I'm interested in that as well. 2001 is not the great product I expected but it does enough to be very good.

B+

Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:08 pm
now we know

That's IMDB-snob pressure right there. Film made you fall asleep, but still gets a B+. Fuck off

Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:13 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
“I don’t like to talk about 2001 much because it’s essentially a nonverbal experience. Less than half the film has dialogue. It attempts to communicate more to the subconscious and to the feelings than it does to the intellect. I think clearly that there is a basic problem with people who are not paying attention with their eyes. They’re listening. And they don’t get much from listening to this film. Those who won’t believe their eyes won’t be able to appreciate this film.”

- Stanley Kubrick

And that's a stupid fucking opinion. I wasn't watching it with my eyes closed. I saw everything, and dedicated my complete consciousness to it. Not understanding it is not my problem, it's the filmmakers. It's a weak director that blames the audience when things go wrong. Should've made a better film. You can't blame a viewer for wanting to make sense of what you're putting in front of their eyes.

Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:32 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Algren wrote:
That's IMDB-snob pressure right there. Film made you fall asleep, but still gets a B+. Fuck off

Well, as I started my review it's a bit of a hard film to define. It's neither an A nor an F, and I feel the credit for a B is there, despite me not finishing it one go, there were other factors at play too. When I did have my conscience to it was quite visceral and entertaining.

Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:43 am
now we know

For such an entertaining and visceral film, I bet you never watch it again in your life.

Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:12 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Rock Hudson got AIDS from dismissing this film. Don't repeat his mistake.

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:07 am
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

This has been my top 10 film for years. I need to re-watch it to see if I will change my opinion.

Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7