Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Once Upon a $63M+ Opening Weekend Club 
The Kramer

Post Once Upon a $63M+ Opening Weekend Club
Making this before the trailer even drops. I know Hateful 8 broke Tarantino's hot streak, but after his last flop (Death Proof) he bounced back with his two highest grossing films in Basterds and Django. Obviously people like his high-concept alternative takes on history better. So you have all the built up demand for another big Tarantino picture AND Leonardo DiCaprio returning from hiatus. Let's not forget that Leo previously took a movie where he might of gotten raped by a bear to nearly $200M.

Oh and it is the final movie for both Burt Reynolds and Luke Perry. And July is completely dead outside of two mega family-friendly movies. The market is ripe and the audience is hype. Huge opening incoming.

Last edited by Flava'd vs The World on Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:07 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Re: Once Upon a $50M+ Opening Weekend Club
Lock it up. Leo will guarantee this.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:10 pm
Extraordinary

This will happen especially with how little July is offering.

Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:44 pm
Devil's Advocate

For sure

Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:25 pm
Hold the door!

Django would have gotten close if it released on a Friday in summer. This is almost too easy.

In.

Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:07 pm
The Kramer

What would be an eye-popping number then? Perhaps topping Inception to become Dicaprio’s highest opener? I guess a real crazy scenario would have it beat Inside Out to become the highest opener that was not #1.

Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:35 pm
now we know

Why is this even a club? Have some balls. $50m is assured. Should've went $70m.

Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:13 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Yeah - its all about the event films and this one is going above $70m. I'd be in for that.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:18 pm
Keeping it Light

Easy in for 50, out for 70

Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:03 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Post Re: Once Upon a $63M+ Opening Weekend Club
EDIT: Delete

Last edited by Barrabás on Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:21 am
now we know

Should've went $70m.

Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:38 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Yeah this could definitely open to $70M. The combination of Dicaprio, Pitt and Tarantino is just too huge of a sell not to mention the rest of the cast is pretty damn crazy as well, especially with Robbie and Pacino being in there.

Anyways, I'm IN.

Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:02 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Is anyone out for this club?

Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:48 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Oh and it is the final movie for both Burt Reynolds and Luke Perry. And July is completely dead outside of two mega family-friendly movies. The market is ripe and the audience is hype. Huge opening incoming.

Just Luke Perry. I believe Reynolds never got to shoot his scenes.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:13 pm
Hold the door!

Still in. I think what Dunkirk did should be easily attainable, and that didn’t have any stars.

Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:18 pm
now we know

:wub2:

Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:05 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Great poster, still not sure about 70m, but 63m sure.

Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:36 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Out (unless the marketing totally changes direction). Trailer is really boring, and they're seemingly ignoring the whole Manson murders aspect?? A huge OW for me depends on that connection being made really explicit. People are fascinated by that and it's the real-life event that will take the film beyond Leo's/Tarantino's usual OW range. If the rest of the marketing resembles this trailer I'm thinking an OW in the 30s.

Also is it just me or did Brad and Leo have zero chemistry in that scene? I guess it's too little to tell.

Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic and paranoid but Tarantino films are usually the kind where it's easy to get a bunch of memorable scenes that only involve basic sets and the actors. You could've cut a great trailer for Django or Basterds just based on a few simple scenes, the best moments are filled with witty lines and great performances. This trailer was the opposite...does it suggest that perhaps there isn't much to choose from? This has so much potential so I'd hate if it was the moment where Tarantino jumps the shark. But that first scene between Leo and Brad has left a bad taste in my mouth. It's the first glimpse anyone has seen of this film...and it's SO dry. "Yeah I guess I carry his load teehee" that's it? Seriously?

Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:24 am
now we know

Yeah. I thought the trailer was weak as shit.

Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:36 am
Profile WWW
Veteran

Getting Jackie Brown vibes (his weakest).

I was blind, but now I see.

Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:17 am
Homo Dperious

Lol close the club. I enter this thread and think you people are fucking crazy. But I think I should at least look at the trailer. Was thinking 20s maybe 30s before, now it’s even possible it might drop into the teens.

This is not a blockbuster genre. I can’t think of a bigger OW comparison than American Gangster, which looked better and had a more marketable story (marketable, not famous).

Star power is dying in the streaming era, and was always circular anyway, like many things in Hollywood. You think someone is a star so they have a bigger budget marketing and hype. Like it used to be you couldn’t open a movie on the last week of April. You guys severely overestimate star power; this is one of its last stands.

I hate to tell you but there are a lot of things actors can’t control, aka luck. If you have 25-30 big names in Hollywood, odds are a couple of them will run off a big streak. People make the same mistake when picking mutual funds.

Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:37 am
Profile ICQ
Extraordinary

DP07 wrote:
Lol close the club. I enter this thread and think you people are fucking crazy. But I think I should at least look at the trailer. Was thinking 20s maybe 30s before, now it’s even possible it might drop into the teens.

This is not a blockbuster genre. I can’t think of a bigger OW comparison than American Gangster, which looked better and had a more marketable story (marketable, not famous).

Star power is dying in the streaming era, and was always circular anyway, like many things in Hollywood. You think someone is a star so they have a bigger budget marketing and hype. Like it used to be you couldn’t open a movie on the last week of April. You guys severely overestimate star power; this is one of its last stands.

I hate to tell you but there are a lot of things actors can’t control, aka luck. If you have 25-30 big names in Hollywood, odds are a couple of them will run off a big streak. People make the same mistake when picking mutual funds.

Tarantino and DiCaprio alone will ensure interest. Sub-20 opening would honestly be shocking.

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:09 am
Homo Dperious

publicenemy#1 wrote:
DP07 wrote:

Tarantino and DiCaprio alone will ensure interest. Sub-20 opening would honestly be shocking.

Well it will probably get in the 20s just from hype, but without a better trailer this type of movie isn’t a guarantee to do much better than body of lies, j Edgar, or hateful 8.

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:42 am
Profile ICQ
Homo Dperious

Also remember how corpse bride and dark shadows were overestimated? Film fans are prone to overestimate Tarantino’s pull.

Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:49 am
Profile ICQ
Homo Dperious

Forget the hype for a minute; that trailer genuinely looks like a 12m opener.

Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:46 am
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next