Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Replicas 

Rate this film:
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Replicas 
Keeping it Light

Post Replicas

Quote:
Replicas is a 2018 American science fiction thriller film directed by Jeffrey Nachmanoff and written by Chad St. John from a story by Stephen Hamel. The film tells the story of a neuroscientist who violates the law and scientific principles to bring his family members back to life after they die in a car accident. It stars Keanu Reeves, Alice Eve, and Thomas Middleditch.

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:21 pm
Cream of the Crop

Post Re: Replicas
I agree with this review:
Quote:
A fascinating movie with that raises all kinds of questions about morality and possibility. If this is the way the world is going, if this is where we are headed, I fear for the future.

I saw it with not much in the way of expectations: mostly went because it was a Keanu Reeves movie. Turned out to be a good Keanu Reeves movie even tho a bit different for him. The "what if" features were great. I like a movie that actually has an interesting story, and this definitely has one; and one of my favorite kinds of stories comprise those in the wide range of "what if" stories that include sci-fi. It's full of subtle nods to cool B movies of the past, combines deeply moving, comedic, and stylized features; and is so free of artsy hi-brow ostentation. Also believe it or not this is really a very cool family movie. We need more movies that can deal with some tough family challenges and play out the "what ifs" of life in humane and believable ways. Oh and on top of everything else: there are some cool Jason Bourne type sequences and Bourne music tributes at Bourne-like moments ... very awesome IMHO but then I enjoy tributes like those. Likewise, there were cool "I Robot" elements - very appropriate and very well handled.

8/10

*A*

Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:02 pm
Forum General

Eh I wish I could say I liked this movie because I really wanted too, but I just didn't think it was very good and as much as I love Keanu he was so miscast in this. I can enjoy a good, dumb B sci-fi movie from time to time, but this one wasn't all that entertaining although it has some cool and interesting ideas.

C-

Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:31 am
Pure Phase

I enjoyed this in an almost perverse way. It is ridiculous and not particularly well-acted or shot, and it almost seems an undocumented immigrant in theatres in an era when lower-budget genre films with veteran stars are routinely available on demand first. Yet there is also a compulsively watchable quality to its madness; it plays as if an overexcited teenager conceived the plot every morning on the set. Consider the way the first 20 minutes establish the protagonist as a scientist attempting to transplant human consciousness into a robot. Then his family dies, and...wait, all of a sudden he and his comic-relief friend are also entirely capable of human cloning. Before one's disbelief can register, they are easily stealing extensive equipment from their top-secret laboratory and cloning his wife and children in a suburban basement. The film constantly swerves hard left or upends itself. For a while, it seems to become a modest body-horror film, complete with a genuinely compelling plot element (his Sophie's Choice moment when he realizes he can only clone two of his three deceased children). Then it is an action movie with corporate-espionage overtones. And it builds to an insane, hilarious, fascinating final image.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:46 am
Cream of the Crop

It's more Ed Wood than Paul W.S. Anderson, which is a plus.

Ator: I love you.
Sunya: And I love you.
Ator: Why can't we marry?
Sunya: Ator, we are brother and sister.
Ator: I'll talk with our father.

Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Keanu plays a fucking psychopath in Replicas. From the moment his wife and three children die, he never sheds a tear or a worry. Instantly he thinks about re-making them. It's really insane. Despite that, the film kept my interest and its 'movie science' made sense too! It's not great but it's not terrible either. The more enjoyable scenes are the ones where he's solving the real world problems, such as his children's school absence, his wife remembering their third daughter, etc.

It ends with possibly the most un-quotable line ever: "Boot the mapping sequence". Or maybe it will become popular, on the ironic meme circuit.

Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:47 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Interesting sci-fi concept executed horrendously. I like the feel of the early sci-fi movies that it gives but even then it fails to execute properly. Keanu Reeves is miscast in this, he cannot carry the emotions required for a man that just lost his family but then again he also keeps things moving in the middle half. The reveal to the wife that they are clones is handled badly. This falls under the "its so bad its good" category.

C-

Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]