Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Green Book 

Rate this film:
A 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
B 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Green Book 
Keeping it Light

Post Green Book

Quote:
Green Book is a 2018 American comedy-drama film. Set in the Deep South in the 1960s, it follows a tour between African-American classical and jazz pianist Don Shirley (Mahershala Ali) and Tony Vallelonga (Viggo Mortensen), an Italian-American bouncer who served as Shirley's driver and bodyguard

Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:31 am
Forum General

Post Re: Green Book
This was a really enjoyable, feel good film, but I can't help but be a bit dissapointed that it didn't do more for me besides being perfectly serviceable entertainment on the most basic/surface level. The standout here is easily the chemistry between Mortensen and Ali and while I did love their interactions I can't remember a single thing that stood out other than those two. I mean we have seen these type of black and white race relation movies before with the typical racist stereotypes, and you know by the end their going to be friends and its going to be some kind of happy ending. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it kind of surprised me with how safe this movie played it for the most part, but I enjoyed the leads enough to give it credit where credit is due, because if it wasn't for their performances I know I would have liked it a lot less.

B+

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:16 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This movie needs to step the fuck off and go away. The fact that it's winning so many of the big precursors this season is baffling. Ali is good but the film itself feels like something like The King's Speech that is genetically manufactured to win awards.

Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:04 am
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

It is conventional, but elegant, sincere, and supremely well-acted.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:27 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

It's obnoxious and borderline racist.

Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:50 am
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

Eh. The whole argument of this movie being "racist" feels so unnecessary to me. There are so many more prescient battles in this era. Do we seriously need to be furious there is a film focused on a racist white man's horizons being expanded? Is it such a moral crime? It hardly under-serves Mahershala Ali, either. It is a great two-man showcase for two great actors.

It is this strange blend of virtue signaling and, most grotesquely and pitifully, Oscar-season sabotage.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:55 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

This movie makes The Help look subtle.

Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:03 pm
Profile YIM
Gamaur's sex slave

thompsoncory wrote:
This movie makes The Help look subtle.

thompsoncory wrote:
This was fantastic. Equal parts funny and heartbreaking. Stone, Spencer, Chastain and especially Viola Davis all deserve Oscar nominations. Definitely one of the best movies of the year so far. A

Uuuhhh! Suddenly The Help is no longer good??? :whistle:

Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:09 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I love The Help. It's a great movie despite the fact that it does kind of push its message through at the end. The performances and emotion come through and help it overcome the tropes of the genre. This is not a good movie and basically sledgehammers its point through. Even the first scene with the racial tension with the water glasses is eyeroll-worthy. And Mortensen's performance is beyond hammy and his character unlikable.

Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:12 pm
Profile YIM
Defeats all expectations

Is the movie sincere like David says it is? I am curious. Based on the trailer, it looks like another feel-good fantasy manufactured by Hollywood.

Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:18 am
Devil's Advocate

I really enjoyed this. I agree that Viggo and Ali's performances and chemistry take this to another level. The low class/high class, and loose/repressed intellectual combination just worked great. This is old school in the sense that it's two movie stars laying it down, then you get a nice happy ending at the Christmas table. I wasn't expecting Ali to feel like completely different person than his other roles in this. This came off like he could be an A lister like Denzel and Will Smith in a few years to me if he wants to. I was surprised Cardellini couldn't get a Supporting Actress wife nomination for this. She did a lot considering her role was mostly just to read letters lovingly.

I think the complaints are overdoing it. The movie's heart is in the right place and it treats the main characters with respect and complexity. This movie could have been one where Tony spends the first half being blatantly racist and treating Don like crap and then gets taught the error of his ways and the movie forgives him, but that's not what this is. He is a little bit racist in that he throws those cups out, but mostly less racist than everyone else around him, it seems he takes to Don almost immediately. Plus is surprisingly not homophobic. I don't think this is a journey about Tony becoming less racist. There's really no way they could win here, if they didn't make him racist at all he would feel like an unrealistic fantasy/white hero, while if they made him super racist making him the hero by the end of the movie would also feel way too apologetic. Having him be racist out of ignorance more than anything else and changing his mind after about spending about a day with Don may have been the best to handle it

Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:31 pm
The Kramer

This is very corny and too heavy-handed sometimes, but it also cute and I mostly enjoyed it. The two actors have great chemistry and I always like seeing Cardelinni.

Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:10 am
The Kramer

I know category fraud is abundant every year, but Mahershala Ali should have been submitted for lead actor. He gets less screen time but a much bigger arc.

Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:11 am
now we know

I thought this was great. A very simple story but really well written and acted. Viggo is superb, really giving a performance when usually he's quite subdued. Ali is also great. Great chemistry between the two. But Ali's everywhere at the moment. I definitely think this should've won Best Picture. It's the best film out of the nominees that I've seen so far. It's funny and a lot of the exchanges between Tony and Don are very interesting. It is just a pleasure to watch, and I'm glad it was aptly rewarded.

Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:24 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Great film, fully understand its awards contention and wins. It's a very well scripted and acted road trip drama. Ali is perfect as Don Shirley, but he's out shined even by Viggo who really transformed himself in his role, he's a presence that attracts in every scene.
The film is humorous and the depiction of that time is interesting. There's a few moments when it perhaps feels a bit too scripted, but the film is a great win because the bonding between the two leads is engaging with heart throughout. Nice feel good ending too.

A-

Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:43 am
Child Actor

B+

I liked the way that Viggo Mortensen gain that so similar to me weight/shape... hahahaha.
I loved the way the movie was made, the year 70's cars and streets... the dialogs and how the relationship between white immigrant and blacky friend was evolving...

Watching it I felt hungry many times!

Good stuff.

Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:13 pm
now we know

I loved how my race saved the black people again. No, I truly did. No sarcasm here at all. The "blacky" tried to influence the Italian but by the end of the film he hadn't really changed one bit, but the "blacky" even changed his eating habits! Well, I guess Tony changed his opinion toward that one black person, but from what I saw he didn't really harbour any hatred towards him from the very first meeting anyway, so I am not sure if he really changed at all.

This is also my way of saying it was totally a white saviour film. Can't any race save themselves? Why must we always be the ones to save everyone? It puts a lot of pressure on us whites to fix everyone's problems, carrying this overwhelming burden through life with us. Add in the already huge burden of being a man and the expectation to provide and be impenetrable. No wonder the white male suicide rate is through the roof.

I love white saviour films. They empower us white males when we're feeling down (from all the pressure we've had lumped on us!).

Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:58 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

I watched this again yesterday, it's just a very well made film with great performances. Still my 4th best film of 2018.

Sun Jun 27, 2021 3:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]