Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5858 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165 ... 235  Next
 Wrestling (WWE, IMPACT, NXT, AEW) 
New Server, Same X

Post Re: Wrestling (WWE, TNA, ROH)
This is simultaneously the best and worst time to be a wrestling fan. The worst for fans of male wrestling and the best for fans of women wrestling.

I'm not much for year-end lists or retrospectives, but I can't help but look back on this year and see the progress and triumphs of this division. They held their first all-women Royal Rumble, where Asuka reigned supreme and Ronda made her debut. Asuka was the chosen one going into 2018, Ronda was the UFC fighter trying to prove she had what it took to be a WWE superstar, but they always needed someone else to rise above and that was Becky Lynch. Some of the best moments and careers are built on unintended success and Becky has done that.

Asuka had one of the roughest years unfortunately, but it all came back around. Pretty amazing to see she came up with huge wins at the first and last PPVs of the year in the main-events.

The biggest loser of the entire year is WWE for pushing two PPVs in Saudi Arabia, ignoring their womens division which had its best year yet. As long as WWE makes these dumb decisions (going to places that wont allow women to perform like that), I think they can still fuck this up. But I seriously hope to God they don't.

(I really haven't been this passionate about anything WWE in years. Maybe since I was a kid.)

Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:58 pm
100% That Bitch

You are right, so far this year is the best ever for women's wrestling. But it can keep growing if they elevate someone along with Becky. They need to.

Becky is the face of the company and I'll fight anyone for it.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:12 pm
New Server, Same X

I caught hints of a triple threat match at Mania last night between Ronda, Becky and Charlotte. Is that what'll happen? I guess it doesn't matter as long as it's the main event, but I don't want Charlotte involved. It should only ever be a triple threat when two people can't sustain enough interest for a Wrestlemania main-event. Or will they have Charlotte face Ronda sooner?

Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:04 pm
New Server, Same X

The McMahons and Triple H coming out and pandering to the crowd was way more unsettling and ultimately detrimental than they likely intended. We hear you... we're here to save RAW... we have no actual plan, but when we think of one, boy will you be happy!

Kurt Angle continuing his random appearances is unfortunate. I hope they at least give him a proper, one-on-one match at Wrestlemania, something he desperately needs.

Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:33 pm
Devil's Advocate

I initially dreaded WWE throwing in a 2 night, 5 hour UK tournament thing as someone who's already 6 months behind, but it doesn't get any better than that from the tournament itself to the tag matches. Even the Bazler match was great

Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:26 pm
Devil's Advocate

Random thought on 205 live. I think I realized why it's not more popular. The actual top cruiserweights are wrestlers like Bryan, Styles, Ziggler, Zayn, Balor, Woods, Dunne, Bate, Cole, Gargano, etc., but they aren't on 205 cause as soon as you're a good enough asset to be on the main roster or future main roster on NXT, you are. Adam Cole has everything you could possibly ask for except size which means he could have had the title for a year if he debuted on 205, but Vince knows he's so good he can at least be a main roster IC champion, so business wise they understandably save him for the main roster. Same with Gargano, I don't know where he is in 6 months, but it would be stupid to send him to 205 imo when he could be the next Daniel Bryan with a main roster push. That leaves a bunch of guys that while talented workers, Vince has on 205 cause he doesn't think they're going to make it as more than main roster jobbers, and so do the casuals audience after Smackdown. I predict Zayn ends up there (as of the Lashley feud his career looks fucked) if he's small enough but even if he does great, I doubt they get ratings out of building a show around a guy the main roster crowd already rejected. Imagine they had a divas show but without Charlotte, Sasha, Becky, etc., instead it was Dana Brooke, Tamina and Mae Young signings, but not the Mae Young signings they have big plans for like Bazler and Bianca Bel Air, the ones they don't have confidence in. Or a heavyweights show with Ryback, Jack Swagger, and a bunch of unknown big guys (good lord). It's a credit to cruiserweights their version is more watchable than that.

Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:45 pm
The Kramer

Well Shack, I know you’re way behind, but your point is extra valid considering Mustafa Ali pinned the WWE Champ clean last night. No way he goes back to 205 now.

Wed Dec 19, 2018 3:08 pm
New Server, Same X

I appreciate the effort to make things different on RAW and Smackdown, but it's hilarious that the biggest, most glaring detriment to WWE programming was not addressed once: Brock Lesnar.

And I don't want more McMahon's on my screen. If anything, we need less. People say the General Manager thing is played out, but we just added four of them for both shows. Just have Shane and Steph continue to run each show on-screen.

Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:38 am
New Server, Same X

I'm curious what they'll do with Charlotte. I desperately want Ronda vs. Becky at Mania, especially as a main-event, but Charlotte is tethered to the story, and unless they feed her to Ronda before Mania, they can't reasonably drop her. I'm not against a triple threat, but only if Becky wins the Rumble and hopefully the title at Mania. I'd even allow them if she beats Charlotte to win and keep Ronda unpinned, but she should have a legit loss at some point soon. Wins and losses are integral to all performers.

Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:49 pm
100% That Bitch

I feel we get Ronda/Charlotte at the Rumble while Becky wins the Rumble from #1 entry. Then You end the show with a Ronda/Becky staredown or even a Becky beatdown at the hands of Rousey

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:06 pm
New Server, Same X

Animal gave an interview or did a podcast or whatever reason someone would listen to Animal in 2018, and he made two points: when the women are the best match on the card and/or the main-event, that's an issue; and, Becky Lynch should back off "The Man" thing and just be a pure babyface.

Exact quote on point #1: There is a problem in the wrestling business. Yes, the women’s movement is growing, but when the women are the main event and they have the best matches on your card, there’s an issue.

On that first point, some people say he meant there's an issue with the male wrestlers. But he should have specified that instead of dragging the women for being given a chance they'd never get even five years ago. I'm sorry, but the women have been relegated to being the "bathroom break" of the card for years. Decades. Maybe since the beginning of their time in the ring. But the movement is growing and it's time to get on board.

Are the male wrestlers lacking? Sure. Or maybe people are just growing tired of the same old thing, even if we've seen it all before when it was successful. People want new stars, and what's more new to the main level of WWE and professional wrestling than women?

Exact quote on point #2: I would let her back off of ‘The Man’ thing and let her just be a pure white meat babyface that doesn’t quit. Those are the kind of babyfaces that work. When you come out there with the attitude and strutting your stuff like she’s some kind of tough guy, come on! Jesus, Lord, anybody that’s ever been in a fight can see right through it and I’m just being realistic because that’s what works in this business. You’ve got to think shoot and work the shoot and right now they’re not taking advantage of their stars who are stars.

Ridiculous. She was a pure babyface for years, and while she enjoyed success and decent pops, she has rode this train to incredible heights. If this was a flash in the pan, she would have died off after a month or so. But she's been feeding off the audience and it's working. Keep it going this way. People want something different. The audience got on her side because they were tired of her not getting chances and seeing Charlotte steal her spotlight. But they only intensified with her thanks to the character change. Until reactions change, stay the course.

He makes some decent points elsewhere, but he loses credibility with the above thoughts.

Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:21 pm
100% That Bitch

It's animal... He's probably a Trump supporter.

It's probably the most misogynistic thing ever said in wrestling this year.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:20 pm
The Kramer

It’s terrible, but in good news I bet this interview gets shoved in WWE’s face anytime someone mentions the words “Maybe Becky and Ronda shouldn’t go last....”

Also rumor is that Balor is getting a major push. I think the original plan was to have Rollins win the Rumble and face Lesnar. But after the crowd shit all over his TLC match (and the Ironman match back in July), and the supposed New Era of listening to the fans, Beast v Demon sounds like a much better option.

Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:34 pm
100% That Bitch

I mean, Balor was over as fuck so it may be a good idea to build him back up. Him bring the hottest man alive sure helps.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:36 pm
New Server, Same X

Animal won't like that.

Finn Balor is a bit of an oddity. He was so over, but they just let him die a slow death.

I don't think I buy into Seth Rollins right now. Even before the disastrous reaction at TLC. He's a bit like Randy Orton. He gets good pops as a babyface, but he's so much better as a heel. But he's probably the best option to put on a good, believable match with Lesnar.

I can't fucking believe we are planning Wrestlemania with Lesnar as Universal Champion AGAIN. Three years in a row. Four of the last five years holding one of the two world championships. And they want us to believe a New Era is here.

Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:10 pm
Devil's Advocate

Bobby Lashley is actually pretty decent talker. He does some nice things in terms of his facial reactions to people. I have enjoyed his little ego vs ego storyline with Reigns

Matt Hardy and Bray Wyatt vs The B team is horrible. I hope this is all just a way to make Bray and Bo Dallas canon. Then again Hardy, Wyatt and Bo wouldn't be a good fit as Woken Family. 3 flabby guys who are boring workers. In the Wyatt family Luke Harper could carry the load in the ring. Hardy and Bray need to turn heel but how does that make sense on a Raw with AOP, Ziggler and McIntyre, Revival, etc.? They were obviously trying to develop new teams but Raw really needed Usos or New Day

I think I may be back or close to it. Unfortunately the episode I just saw had a commercial for Ant Man vs The Wasp

Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:37 am
New Server, Same X

I can't tell if they're trying to copy the success of Becky Lynch with AJ Styles and Seth Rollins doing heel-ish things to get themselves over. Styles smacking Vince. Seth using a steel chair. If what we've been watching isn't the real AJ Styles, then why is some guy who knocks down the boss the "real" version of him?

It was a nice moment to have Cena and Becky team up on Smackdown. If anything it gave Cena more of a rub than Becky. He needs all the help he can get, especially with his JBL hair. I'm not sure what I expected Cena to look like with hair, but he needs to cut it.

Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:15 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

RIP "Mean" Gene...

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:21 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

And Toni Storm had nudes leak online and deleted her social media accounts afterwards...

She's great in the ring, deserving of the Mae Young Classic victory this year, and can definitely be a top name in WWE if she's ever called up. I just hope this incident doesn't cost her the opportunity... I mean, Rollins had nudes leak, too, and Paige/Xavier even had the tape, so... it'd be quite unfair if this hurts Toni.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:26 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Early January Mania predictions:

Becky v Ronda
Lesnar v Rollins
Bryan v Cena
AJ v HHH

Balor v Dean Ambrose v Drew McIntyre v ???
Strowman v Undertaker
Shane v Miz

Womens tag team championship match
US title ladder match with like 8 people
Undisputed Era v whoever is left on Raw

Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:23 am
Devil's Advocate

Why WWE pushes Reigns as theguy: If July 2018 Lashley feuded someone like Corbin, Ziggler, Owens, etc. for Extreme Rules it would be the first or second match of the night, like Corbin vs Finn Balor type of match. Reigns vs Lashley though is the main event and actually marketable as a big match... they even gave it the annually recycled brawl segment that they save for matches like Lesnar/Undertaker and Lesnar/Samoa Joe. Mans is good at making feuds important. Which is also extra confirmation Jinder is basura since nobody gave a fuck about Reigns Jinder

Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:14 pm
New Server, Same X

It's so weird seeing Shack's thoughts from the past in the present. He should be all caught up by 2025.

Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:30 pm
Devil's Advocate

Man the crowd and putting it last really ruined Ziggler Rollins at Extreme Rules. I will never understand the casuals that tune out for Ziggler matches but would treat him like a superstar if he had 2 more inches and a bigger chest or whatever. Even after all this time the WWE probably still wasn't convinced yet this version with help can't be a world champion level heel and tried one more time by putting him last here and on Raw, but shot down again. Even though he had a HOF midcard career he will probably always be frustrated by how close he was to knocking the door down. If he had as big tits as AJ Styles would his whole career be different? I don't know.

Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:58 am
New Server, Same X

I really hope they don't stick Becky Lynch in another multi-women match against Asuka, thus denying her the Royal Rumble. WWE hates a clear-cut path, and I feel like so many are pushing for it to happen that they're dying to do a swerve on fans. Just stay the course and do the right thing.

Or they'll have Becky and Charlotte repeat the 1994 and 2005 Royal Rumble endings and have both their feet hit the floor at the same time. Please God no.

Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:10 am
The Kramer

Kenny Omega is a free agent. Will probably sign with Cody Rhodes’ new promotion, but gosh that would be a great surprise Rumble entrant. And I know Cena has had his eye on a Mania match with Omega. Just keep putting money on the table till he says yes please!

Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:12 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5858 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 159, 160, 161, 162, 163, 164, 165 ... 235  Next