Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Roma (2018) 

Rate this film:
A 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
B 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
C 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 5

Roma (2018) 
Keeping it Light

Post Roma (2018)

Quote:
Roma is a 2018 drama film written and directed by Alfonso Cuarón. Cuarón also produced, co-edited and photographed the film. It stars Yalitza Aparicio, Marina de Tavira, Marco Graf, Daniela Demesa, Enoc Leaño and Daniel Valtierra. Set in the early 1970s, the film is a semi-biographical take on Cuarón's upbringing in Mexico City, and follows the life of a middle-class family and its live-in housekeeper. The title refers to the Colonia Roma district of the city.

Roma film had its world premiere at the 75th Venice International Film Festival on August 30, 2018, where it won the Golden Lion.

Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:01 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Roma (2018)
Gorgeous to look at but mind-bogglingly dull. Easily 2018's most overrated film.

Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:55 pm
Profile YIM
100% That Bitch

Movie of the year

A+

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:32 pm
Forum General

With such an impressive film catalog, Roma may be Cuarón's best film to date. On a technical level, it's lush, visually impressive and huge but it's also a small, slice of life drama anchored by a moving performance Yalitza Aparicio. It also includes some of the most heartbreaking, real scenes of any movie this year.

Also, I feel like this needs to be said: as someone who was not able to see this in theaters and watched on Netflix, I don't feel like much is lost by watching this on your TV. Now I'm not by any means saying to watch Roma on your cell phone or laptop but watching on your flat screen TV still proves to be a satisfying and gorgeous experience. I think people saying "YOU NEED TO SEE ROMA IN THEATERS!" may only make people NOT see it if they're not able to find a theater playing it. Should you see it in theaters if you can? Absolutely but if not, watching it at home is perfectly fine and the film still looks beautiful.

A+ - - - my only A+ film thus far this year.

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:42 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pure Phase

There is an elitist component to the people saying it MUST be watched on the big screen. It is, say, Edgar Wright on Twitter in L.A. or a Manhattan-based writer for Slate...people for whom an art-house playing it is right down the street.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:54 pm
Romosexual!

thompsoncory wrote:
Gorgeous to look at but mind-bogglingly dull. Easily 2018's most overrated film.

Agree with this

C

Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:02 am
100% That Bitch

All the little touches on this film, we as Mexicans got all of the things happening in th background it really is an ode to Mexican life.

Plus that beach scene (it's less than half hour from my hometown) is probably thr best scene of the yesr

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:01 am
The Kramer

Roma is good, but could have been great at a tighter 100 minutes or so. It does get a little boring sometimes. I think the movie’s biggest achievement is how it always feels like the characters are moving through a living world, rather than one tailor-made for them. I appreciated the authenticity.

Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:09 am
Indiana Jones IV

I've held off on writing any reactions to this movie after seeing it almost two weeks ago. I guess I wanted to give it time to digest... I was not initially blown away by the film like I partly expected to be. Certainly there is a LOT to champion, including the centrality and strength of female characters. But I felt like the movie held me at a distance from the core emotional experience of the characters, and a lot of this can be attributed to the decisions made in directing and cinematography. Something about how the movie was shot gave me a cold, observer experience, like I was witnessing something happening in an external environment. It's almost like the camera moves through the world and just happened to catch the characters at different times.... which on one hand is very skilled and stylish, but for the emotional component, created an unwanted feeling of distance.

On the other hand there were a few scenes that definitely gave me goosebumps. The stillbirth scene was horrible, beautiful, and intimate. And the subsequent beach scene (and Cleo's admission after the rescue that she didn't want the child) was rousing, glorious and tender. I also loved the martial arts class and how it subtly ended with Cleo seemingly effortlessly exhibiting the same kind of strength and balance as the teacher.

So..... I guess I'm still uncertain how I feel about Roma. It suffered a little in my experience for having received such accolades before I saw it. But there's so much about the movie that is undeniably beautiful. It probably belongs in my current Top 10 of the year, but I'm having some resistance to putting it there, because the initial viewing experience did not transport me fully into this world. And I'm hesitant to be a bandwagon jumper. Perhaps I'm also being too demanding of my expectations of Cuaron, who directed a number of my favorite films ever, including one that hovers near the top, Children of Men. Perhaps if there was an eight minute continuous-take tracking shot following the dead baby in Roma, I'd like it better. (that's a joke)

letter grade:
A-

Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:56 pm
Devil's Advocate

My review http://wokj.worldofkj.com/the-search-fo ... g-in-roma/

Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:01 pm
Wallflower

thompsoncory wrote:

Agreed. The only thing that impressed me was the cinematography. It's a huge chore to get through. :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:37 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I hate this movie. I can't believe it's winning tomorrow.

Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:50 pm
Profile YIM
Wallflower

thompsoncory wrote:
I hate this movie. I can't believe it's winning tomorrow.

I really hope it doesn't. I don't think it's a lock for Picture.

Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]