Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Creed II 

Rate this film:
A 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
B 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

Creed II 
Keeping it Light

Post Creed II

Quote:
Creed II is a 2018 American sports drama film directed by Steven Caple Jr., and written by Sylvester Stallone and Cheo Hodari Coker. A sequel to Creed (2015) and the eighth installment in the Rocky film series, it stars Michael B. Jordan, Stallone, Tessa Thompson, Dolph Lundgren, Florian Munteanu, Phylicia Rashad, Andre Ward, Wood Harris, and Brigitte Nielsen. Creed writer-director Ryan Coogler serves as an executive producer on the film.

The film follows Adonis Creed training in order to defeat the son of Ivan Drago, the powerful athlete who killed his father in the ring more than 30 years prior.

Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:32 am
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Creed II
If you've seen any Rocky film you can pretty much tell where it's going. But the funny thing about it is it still finds fun of enough ways to make them different.

No Spoilers, but I wish there was just one last interaction between Rocky and Ivan. Just because Dolph was actually really good in it, and his last moment is actually pretty powerful for anyone that knows the series. Anyone wants me to elaborate, PM is always there.

And LOL. Brigette Nielson. Stallone finally got his revenge.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:11 am
The Kramer

I still liked this movie, but it is definitely a far cry from the previous installment. Which is fitting since that is exactly how I feel about Rocky 4. But while that movie is brought down by too many montages and scenes of patriotism, Creed II is just kinda dull at too many points.

I think they did well at mimicking Coogler’s style outside the ring. One of the opening scenes has a long cut of everyone in Donny’s corner boosting him up before his title win, concluding with Stallone doing his bit out of a mirror. The fights, however, lose the personal intensity from the first film. In fact, the camera always seems more interested in the people outside than in the squared circle. It is more about fighting the weight of legacy than an opponent in the ring. It is a good theme, but its just not good to watch these people mope around because of it for two thirds of the film.

Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:48 pm
The Kramer

Bill Simmons made a great point; why do these people have no money? It is 2018, Donny would be making millions and millions per fight and Rocky should be raking in millions off the nostalgia for his stories career. Yet they are all living in small depressing apartments in Philly...

Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:10 pm
Superman: The Movie

Because they’re “underdogs”. You can’t have a rich underdog in 2018. Maybe you could get away with it in a hypothetical Creed III just like Stallone got away with it in Rocky III and IV as Stallone grew out the character to where we still cared for him in those sequels. We saw him ride and fall. We’re not there yet with Creed.

Also, Russia = bad
and
Clubber publicly challenged Rock’s “masculinity” to Adrian. And he was black.

Those were/are easy bad guys in America. Especially in the 80s.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:17 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

I can’t quite put my finger on it. The movie is good, and the last five minutes are a home run, but there’s something missing. Maybe it’s because Creed was such a surprise? Maybe it’s because Coogler is only an executive producer and not in the director’s chair this time around? Or maybe it’s because the emotional crux of this movie is basically the same as the last one?

I kind of wish this movie was told from Drago’s perspective. I thought everything from the Russian side was quite good. It also would’ve been a way to keep things new.

I liked it, but I don’t think this needed to exist. Then again, I’m glad it exists for those last five minutes. Don’t make Creed III.

Also, I know this movie is going for realism, but Adonis couldn’t have one “vision” of his dad? When he gets knocked to the mat in the final fight and he looks out to the crowd all blurry, he couldn’t “see” his dad? And right after that the Bill Conti theme could’ve kicked in. That theme was earned in the last movie. It wasn’t here.

Carl Weathers should’ve been in these last two films, this one especially.

And why does Rocky bring Creed to the desert to train? I know Stallone probably didn’t want to copy Rocky IV all the way through, but send him to the mountains in Russia! Hearts on Fire!

B

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:21 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

I think there was an Apollo cameo that was scrapped. At least a "get up dammit!" sound cameo.

There is a lot from Rocky III that they could use even if it's just reused Ghost Apollo.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:01 am
Forum General

Solid, but I can't help but echo the sentiments above that its just not as good as the first film IMO. I have to agree with a lot of what Jmart has already said, because I don't know if its due to the novelty wearing off or the fact that the first Creed was such a surprise, but something definitely felt like it was missing here. That last fight was excellent though and I will say that the movie does end on a pretty damn satisfying, emotional note with those last 5 minutes, but holy crap does it take forever to get there. I got so bored with the family drama at points in this, and while I get why the Creed character is the way he is I thought he was even more of douche in this than the last film and I really didn't like how he was treating Rocky. Granted, I still liked the character overall and MBJ's performance is still very solid, but I wish they wouldn't make him come off as such an unlikable prick at times. Also, I wanted way more scenes with the Drago's. The stuff with Russia was so well done and Dolph is actually pretty great here as is the guy who played his son who is just a beast, but I liked that they at least tried to make him a bit three dimensional. Loved the fact that they were able to bring back Brigette Nielson too lol.

B

Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:30 pm
now we know

Excellent. The connections to Rocky IV alone made this a near masterpiece compared to a very underwhelming Creed. It was quite an emotional experience watching this, especially a few times near the end. The movie is slightly marred by editing flow and one huge logic-defying outcome*, but besides that it is a touching, beautiful boxing film. Against the odds, they managed to create a Russian angle with Ivan and Viktor which was authentic and extremely interesting to watch (more so than Adonis), and they hit a shocking home run with that ending of Ivan throwing in the towel. Stallone was perfect again. Great to see. The final scene with him meeting Robert and his grandson, Logan, was heartwarming. Every time the story centers on Adonis and Bianca, it is much less interesting than when Dolph or Stallone or Florian are on-screen. Though Michael B. Jordan gives a damn fine performance. The film should have been perhaps 15 minutes longer to fill in some gaps.

*There is no way on Earth I'm buying the outcome of the final fight. In their first fight, Drago hands him a beating as if he was fighting a child. He breaks his ribs and Adonis looks pathetic. Rocky says his natural fighting style won't be enough for Drago, and they train for what felt like no time at all, then suddenly Adonis is ready and equipped to win? No strategic planning or anything is mentioned. So the fight starts and he's being embarrassed yet again, though lasting a bit longer. But his ribs break again. And then it happens...the unearned, illogical switch. Now suddenly Drago is getting his ass kicked by a guy that has broken ribs and is still fighting the same way as he did in the first fight and most of the second fight. Makes no sense, and just screams of lazy writing to find a crowd-pleasing ending.

Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:23 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Creed II is everything the sequel to Creed could be, I love how it extends Adonis story while using the right characters from Rocky's past to make the film a superb achievement. Caple Jr. picks right up, where Coogler left off, in some way it's a bit more flashy and colorful, where Coogler felt a bit more artistic, but each hand is just applied so well to the respective film. Stallone is the connecting factor though, and without Rocky the film couldn't blossom as much as it does, and Sly wins another best supporting actor for me with this. Creed got to me more as we see the titular character coming of age as a boxer and in love. Creed II is at least as, if not more, entertaining, it only felt too recognizable at certain moments, but its execution is still great. And everything new, mostly what involved the continuation of Drago 30's year later is so appreciated, from their father-son moment, to the coldness of Russia's motives. It's an iconic follow-up to the best film of 2015 and I feel I already under appreciate it. It nails score and cinematography and every actor/ actress is on point.

A

Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:47 am
Keeping it Light

I watched it again today, and while I was just as pleased I also remarked a few more things.
Creed II is the better continuation of Rocky's story than Creed, Stallone gets points for Rocky going through cancer in Creed, but I found him even more sublime in this facing the recollection of his Drago experience and connection with his son.
The "validation" line from the trailer, was cut from the film, and that let to a bit of an off the mark comment by Bianca before the second fight of not being a team before, as we now missed that kind of divide between the two before the first fight.
The sudden reversal of Creed's fortune in the 2nd Drago fight, I'd like to believe it's possible, but he's gotten beat badly by Viktor for the most part that him getting the upper hand eventually at the end doesn't flow so well. It led however to that great moment of Ivan throwing the towel to end the fight.

Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:28 am
The Kramer

That last round also goes like ten minutes. Whenever Creed is in trouble the bell conveinantly rings.

Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:25 pm
Keeping it Light

The first Adonis-Viktor fight is the best one in the film.

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]