Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Why have they not rebooted The Matrix yet? 
Devil's Advocate

Post Why have they not rebooted The Matrix yet?
Do they need the Wachowskis permission or afraid to do it without them? I was predicting this years ago but no word yet

- Great fit for visual blockbuster, unique/memorable concept and look, everyone still knows what the Matrix is and recognizes the brand. The best series for trailer spots ever.
- About right time for people to be nostalgic
- It would have done well internationally anyways but especially now considering this would make a shit ton in China
- Fishburne is available and Morpheus survived so that's easy supporting role until he's finally killed off. Maybe Agent Smith cameo. Neo is dead but you could bring him back if you really wanted for supporting role
- Easy to reboot storyline, the Matrix still existed at the end and humans are destined to get greedy leading to another war with the robots
- It really has the perfect fit for a title. The Matrix: Rebooted or some variation

That's a 1 billion worldwide per film franchise right there

Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:54 am
now we know

Post Re: Why have they not rebooted The Matrix yet?
They have very cleverly not brought it back because they probably know it will fail. Matrix was a product of its time. Let's leave it there.

Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:00 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Maybe the original is too classic for a reboot yet. It holds up like it could be released today and still be the success it was in whatever year it was released.

The Matrix: Rebooted would be a terrible title.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:27 am
Dont Mess with the Gez

Because The Matrix crashed and burned like no other film series. The hype and anticipation for Reloaded was at fever pitch due to how beloved The Matrix was. But when Reloaded and its sequel didnt live up to expectations the franchise was almost forgotten overnight.

No doubt WB will go back to the Matrix well at some point though. If they can somehow connect back to the first film - they could have a winner.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:29 am
Homo Dperious

Matrix Reloaded would do well with some future audience perhaps thousands of years from now. It’s society that failed.

Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:38 am
Profile ICQ
Devil's Advocate

Looks like this is happening with the Wachowskis and Michael B. Jordan

Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:38 am
Romosexual!

I’ll believe the rumors when principal photography actually begins

Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:23 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Yeah the Matrix was such a anomaly and major cautionary tale of a lot of box office standards. A little bit of a retrospect for me.

The first Matrix was a surprise blockbuster (171 million off a 28 million opening, or 305 million off of a 49 opening in todays numbers) and it started the whole Bullet Time craze as well as the Americans doing intense martial arts. Then it was the perfect film for the beginning of DVD boom, had great hidden features but was also a huge success on video as well. Then a great marketing campaign for the sequels, and everything went decent enough for Reloaded.

I personally hated the second film. But cannot deny how excited I was for it. I actually remember it like it was Yesterday. I was getting close to my 16th birthday and my mom was always fine with me watching R rated films as long as there wasn't nudity. So she had no problems here. That Wednesday was also series finale of Dawson's Creek if I remember and my sister was having people over watching that. But my mom bought 8 tickets for me and my friends and we all went to see it that Wednesday night, which to this day is controversial that they they separated the 10pm previews from the OD. In today's numbers, the film made a crushing 200+million in 4 days, a number that is still mightily impressive 16 years later. It's total of 421 million is where the franchise hits its turn of course. The last two things you can say is that it had a solid international business, and some people did in fact enjoy it.

But definitely not to the point like they were obsessed with the first. At that point that's when the series couldn't recover with its extremely confusing cliffhanger, and that the film's lackluster WOM only had a mere 5 1/2 months for the third film to come out. Had they not filmed them back to back, they maybe could have had a few years to rework a better end to the trilogy. I remember being the first to make comparisons to Back to the Future Part III and Red Dragon on the boards back there, but many still thought the film would do well enough. Afterall AOTC had 3 years and still dropped off really high from Phantom. But maybe even if the BO potential was not as good, maybe it would lead to a fantastic ending. Fast forward to a noticeably weaker marketing campaign, and a pre Thanksgiving November release which always seemed out of place. Limping its way to just 83 million over 5 days which was 60% of it's total. If you would have told me a week before Reloaded that a movie with Will Farrell as an Elf would outgross the final Matrix movie, you would have been committed. I remember BOM touting that Revolutions had the largest international release ever making 203 WW at the time. But that was faint praise and it was a total disaster. But for me, I didn't even go to see it in theaters as Reloaded was such a turd for me, and when I finally caught it on HBO the following year, I am glad I did. In the span of 6 months an entire franchise was tarnished. It did manage over 100 million in DVD sales as I'm sure a lot of people went the same route I did.

I'm not sure a reboot would work theatrically, especially with no chance of any of the cast outside a noticeably older Agent Smith, but that would look even bad. I think it could work as a series almost in the same sense an Inception series could work. And if they did go theatrical, I don't know maybe hope for numbers for that sequel to 300. Budget would have to be considerably lower, which is tough considering the filmmaker and franchise's standards for special effects.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:45 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

They should have the Wachowskis on board as story consultants but not as the directors. They lost all their spark years ago. A continuation could work (NOT a reboot or remake) because the story didn't really end conclusively. We never got the mass unplugging scene we thought would happen.

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:05 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

You know who could direct the HELL out of a Matrix film? (Not write)

Zack Snyder.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:28 am

I'm not sure about that. I feel like the third film was very much Snyder esque. Maybe Rian Johnson or Denis Villeneuve.

What even type of story could you do. Would they go for a straight up rehash of the story of the new One. I wouldn't even attempt that until the 2nd film is made. I think if they get rid of the real world is still in the Matrix aspect and make it the story of how humans are able to hack in for the very first time, and find they're morpheus. But they would also have to steal someone who already was plugged in at birth and they raised him to be the first to go in. But then they run the risk of it being too boring again before they even get into the Matrix.

I think I really have to rewatch these again. I haven't watched the original even in probably at least 15 years.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:37 am
Extraordinary

No need to reboot yet. What I want is a dreaded prequel that will explore the FIRST Neo/world just before the great cataclysm. Bring back the KFC man, the keymaker, the oracle. All those things, I'm pretty sure the Neo's weren't all the same and obviously the previous versions all failed/didn't get as far as Neo did.

#MAGA #KAG!

Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:15 am
Team Kris

Hire Nolan. He is The One who could bring this franchise back to Glory. Keanu is as popular as ever with John Wick success. It could be done.

Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:04 pm
Profile WWW

That would be the worst decision he ever made.

Make it a series. It'll shine.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:43 pm
The Kramer

Nolan gets a blank check to do whatever he wants, so there is no way he will a do another franchise movie until that well is dry.

Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:26 pm
Begging Naked

I imagine another reason it hasn't been rebooted is that WB has enough other successful stuff going on that it doesn't need to mine its back catalog the way Sony or Paramount or MGM feels like it needs to at every turn. If one of those studios had Matrix they probably would have already backed up a truck of money to the Wachowskis to make it happen, but currently they don't feel any sort of rush to make it happen.

Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:33 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

This is a terrible idea. The Matrix was extremely relevant to a particular cultural moment. I’m reminded of the increasing irrelevance of the Terminator franchise which peaked in the late 80’s / early 90’s. Trying to replicate its success is doomed to fail. Further, the mystery and eventual reveal of the original film can never be repeated or improved upon. Do not try dipping into this well, WB.

Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:52 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

I think a reboot could work because the idea of living in a fake world that you 'unplug' from feels lot more zeitgeisty, perhaps more zeigesity than ever, especially compared to Terminator.

Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:45 pm
Devil's Advocate

Steve wrote:
This is a terrible idea. The Matrix was extremely relevant to a particular cultural moment. I’m reminded of the increasing irrelevance of the Terminator franchise which peaked in the late 80’s / early 90’s. Trying to replicate its success is doomed to fail. Further, the mystery and eventual reveal of the original film can never be repeated or improved upon. Do not try dipping into this well, WB.

I think Terminator is a good case for only rebooting it if Wachowskis are available, it was the loss of Cameron's style that killed it. Even the great Star Wars is fading without Lucas. If they bring back Wachowskis it will feel Matrix-y and unlike other blockbusters, and people will care no matter what

Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:33 am
Indiana Jones IV

In order for a new Matrix to really tap into the current zeitgeist, I think it would have to be radically different from its predecessors. In tone, style, storyline, everything... to the extent that it would be unrecognizable as a Matrix movie. That'd be the only way I think a new Matrix could be successful.

I recently rewatched the original, and imagining the whole oeuvre rehashed decades later is embarrassing to contemplate. The sunglasses, the leather, the robotic acting, the action style, Rob Zombie.... none of the distinctive Matrix elements would work anymore. They'd be laughable. That's why it would have to be a huge departure to succeed.

Shack I disagree with the argument in your last post on multiple fronts. For one, each episode of the current Lucas-less Star Wars trilogy has outgrossed its corresponding predecessor's adjusted gross. I don't think these franchises die because they lose their director's unique style. I mean, let's not forget the Wachowskis also directed Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions, which were awash in their unique Matrix-y directorial style, and they killed their own franchise. Doesn't make sense to expect another Matrix movie from the same team 20 years later to do massively well. I think a lot of people would groan at yet another pointless rehash/reboot. Unless they can really stoke the fire and create something new and mysterious. I have no idea how they'd go about it.

Also, thanks for the discussion and ideas, I'm enjoying playing in this ballpark!

Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:50 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1163906114984894464

Quite interesting!

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:26 pm
Devil's Advocate

Interested to see how Neo and Trinity are in this

Solo Wachowski director is weird

Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:41 pm
Extraordinary

I’m interested but I thought it might have been a prequel dealing with one of the earlier Neos.

#MAGA #KAG!

Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:23 pm
Romosexual!

YAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! :D

THE MATRIX RECODED :shades:

there is no spoon but there is a fork :lol:

Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:36 pm
Superfreak

Magnus wrote:
*enters from the void*

Enough time has passed from the sequels that people will give this a chance, particularly with Keanu (who is maybe at his peak star power today) returning. Add some younger stars like MBJ and this will be a mega event film. It has $1.5B WW potential if they don't fuck it up.

*leaves again for undetermined period of time*

Yup pretty much totally agree. Make the sequel we always wanted and never got and it will be huge.

WB about to announce Harry Potter 9 & make the 2020's like the 2000s all over again.

Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 78 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next