Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Avengers: Infinity War 

Rate this film:
A 54%  54%  [ 19 ]
B 31%  31%  [ 11 ]
C 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
D 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 35

Avengers: Infinity War 

Post Re: Avengers: Infinity War
It was the first time I felt stakes in a Marvel movie.

Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:24 am
Defeats all expectations

It's a good action movie with plenty of tension, though it occasionally gets sidetracked by the over-abundance of comic relief.

I liked that the main villain Thanos remained as a mysterious figure who did not show his emotion or motive much, and whose dialogue was kept to the minimum. The low-key treatment worked because the philosophy behind his determination to eliminate half the world's population was kind of flimsy.

I was baffled by why the option of suicide never came up when Gamora and Vision were intent on self-sacrifice to save the universe. Well, that would cut the film length in half, not exactly a profitable solution.

The often comical feuds between Strange and Stark, Thor and Star Lord kept things going and made one forget the thin characterization among the superheroes.

I look forward to how things wrap up in the second and final episode.

77/100

Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:59 pm
Keeping it Light

I'm often doing it myself, including with my original Infinity War review, but I think you're being a bit too critical.

The suicide thing, I'm pretty sure that was optioned as a last resort, Gamora after all stabbed herself in the last ditch effort before being thrown of the cliff if I remember well, I don't think it needed it earlier. I don't remember a similar thing with Vision, however he's like half a robot/ machine right, suicide is plausibly not in the equation.

Don't think the issues you mention are issues, although I somewhat agree about the comic relief. It felt like an odd moment when Cap and Thor struck up a conversation about their beards and hair in the middle of a earth's survival defining battlefield.

i.hope wrote:
the philosophy behind his determination to eliminate half the world's population was kind of flimsy

I'd say it's not far fetched at all,
Spoiler: show
not more than Rev. Toller's determination in
First Reformed.

Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:26 am
now we know

Yeah it's not flimsy in the slightest. Maybe from a human's perspective, because you value humans more than an alien could ever do. Look at it from a human>ant nest perspective and it's kind of easy to comprehend how a higher being would have a lower threshold for jumping straight to Option B: annihilation. Oh, and we're the ants in that example if you didn't get that.

Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:34 am
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

stuffp wrote:

The suicide thing, I'm pretty sure that was optioned as a last resort, Gamora after all stabbed herself in the last ditch effort before being thrown of the cliff if I remember well, I don't think it needed it earlier. I don't remember a similar thing with Vision, however he's like half a robot/ machine right, suicide is plausibly not in the equation.

Yeah, I remember the scene where she stabbed herself with a dagger which was then turned into bubbles by Thanos. But she had plenty of opportunities after the Guardians was defeated and Thanos retrieved another stone.

Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:34 am
Defeats all expectations

Algren wrote:
Yeah it's not flimsy in the slightest. Maybe from a human's perspective, because you value humans more than an alien could ever do. Look at it from a human>ant nest perspective and it's kind of easy to comprehend how a higher being would have a lower threshold for jumping straight to Option B: annihilation. Oh, and we're the ants in that example if you didn't get that.

Oh, Thanos might not care about humans or any species including his own, but he does care about life, the universe and its "balance". He is a religious zealot driven by his scheme of salvation of life (by killing half of the living). Why I call his philosophy flimsy is because his intention and perception of reality are too pure and flawed to go unchallenged by others for so long. He does not play politics or have some other ulterior motive, which would make him more deceptive. But now come to think of it, the character Thanos is a success because he is so low-key and pure in his intent.

Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:10 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

This movie gets better with every rewatch. I do like it more than Endgame because of the tons of actions. My initial feeling of the movie being disjointed is gone now though with Endgame in the back of my mind the finale does not land at all. Still its a non-stop action blockbuster that expands the universe to these characters in a way that we have never seen before. Thanos is just AMAZING here and you can see the reason why he was given the whole Infinity arc to himself.

Tue May 19, 2020 4:57 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Disney+ just launched here last week and this was the first movie I re-watched. Its still holds well and the scenes at Titan are brilliant.

Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9