Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Tag (2018) 

Rate this film:
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
D 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
F 22%  22%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 9

Tag (2018) 
Pure Phase

Post Tag (2018)

Quote:
Tag is a 2018 American comedy film directed by Jeff Tomsic (in his directorial debut) and written by Rob McKittrick and Mark Steilen.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:30 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: Tag (2018)
I despised this film. It is a shame because the cast is superb, but it just withered on the vine in my estimation, earning at most a halfhearted smile or two over the course of one hour and 45 minutes. I found it exasperating and exhausting to watch these independently wealthy grown men play tag; the film alternately tries its hand at testosterone-fueled banter, over-the-top physical comedy, and, in its home stretch, bizarrely unearned sentimentality, but no approach allows us to invest in their (purportedly endearing, but, in truth, irritating) decades-long game. There is no sense these aggressive, macho, noisy antics stem from a place of genuine friendship and nostalgia; the talented actors seem manic and have no chemistry. The concept is very loosely inspired by a true story; before the end credits, real footage is briefly shown of rotund men in their late 50s or early 60s laughing while amiably playing tag. We see them sneaking up on each other in offices or at the airport, not, as depicted in the film, assaulting one another with booby traps, wantonly destroying private property, feigning miscarriages, pretending to masturbate on childhood toys, etc. The home videos are not hyper-cinematic, but they are far more inviting than the garish, numbing, Hangover-lite monstrosity Hollywood produced in response.

And, wow, it is hard to imagine a more pointless character than the one played by Annabelle Wallis here. Having her tag along (no pun intended) sure enriches the story!

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:30 am
Superman: The Movie

I liked it. I laughed. Your mileage may vary though. Fancy jokes about miscarriages?

But the last second curveball to give Ed Helms’s character a tumor the size of a testicle on his liver in the final ten minutes of the movie as an attempt to give the proceedings some sort of gravitas, was just overwhelmingly stupid. It’s like they didn’t have an ending and thought this would give the film a deeper meaning. It doesn’t. The Ben Franklin “quote” they keep repeating was good enough.

B

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:16 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I thought it was ... fine. The tag sequences are all alot of fun, no matter how absurd they get. The actual jokes not so much. So it is better to view it as an action movie then a comedy.

Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:31 pm
now we know

There are some laugh-out-loud moments and I generally like all the participants, but it is goofy, especially at the end in the hospital when Renner gives in with five minutes to go and then they're all running around. Helms' tumor should have been the lie that finally caught Renner. That would have worked so much more than it being a real attempt at seriousness. And the altar scene was really, really lame. Anyway, I liked Isla Fisher. Not only hot but great at being the crazy one. And some of the supporting cast are notable. Firstly, great to see Brian Dennehy! Rashida Jones is lovely and deserved more of a role. Then Thomas Middleditch was pretty funny, as was Steve Berg. But Buress is useless. Feels like he's there just to fill a quota, especially as none of the real people this is inspired by are black.

B-

Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:50 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

The tag sequences are fun and Renner is just so fucking cool throughout, but after sleeping on it I just didn't like this film all that much. I know it's a comedy, but it gets really ridiculous the more it goes on. I guess in this movie's universe consequences don't exist for these guys and while I know it's just a movie there was only so much I was able to suspend my disbelief here. For a comedy a lot of the jokes aren't that funny either. The chemistry between Helms, Johnson, Hamm and Renner is fine, but Buress didn't need to be there at all and you can tell, because the dude just looks so out of place among these guys. As for the female cast Annabelle Wallis and Rashida Jones were mostly wasted IMO and while I have liked Isla Fisher in other stuff she was just the crazy wife here, and honestly I thought she was kind of annoying at times. Out of all of them I probably liked Leslie Bibb character the most even though she does some fucked up things as well. Also, whenever this movie tried to tackle darker issues like alcoholism and tumors it felt so forced and unnecessary.

C

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:42 am
now we know

Yeah, Bibb is just fucking hot so she gets a pass.

Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:16 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

This was a meh movie devoid of any fun. I did like a few things here and there but the cast had so much more potential than this. The last jab of seriousness with tumor was completely unearned.

4/10

Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:01 am
now we know

The "BASED ON A TRUE STORY. WE'RE NOT KIDDING" poster tagline is such horseshit. They really were kidding. It should have said "INSPIRED BY A TRUE STORY", which is more accurate.

Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:25 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Tag is a light and breezy film without much substance. It has a pretty good cast, but I can't remember one joke or gag that didn't fall flat. Isla Fisher is perhaps the best character in the film all the rest just meanders along. It's not a long film, and the concept sounds pretty fun, in a way it should be fun to be part of in real life but I don't think they've translated it very well to the screen. Coming from a true story the tag elements and the untouchable Jerry are just too over the top that it takes the charm of camaraderie away. I think they wanted to go for a Hangover type success with this, but it just lacks the particles to make it happen. As how I started my review though, it's not annoying at any moment either, just an acceptable fast food meal of a film.

C

Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:57 pm
Defeats all expectations

The movie is okay. It lacks distinct characters, is ridiculous throughout but the ending (the chase scene in the hospital) manages to capture a heartfelt moment of longtime friendship.

We are introduced to these characters one by one. But their character traits are either under-utilized or too indistinguishable to induce an intense comic effect. For example, Jon Hamm is the boss of a Fortune 500 company but there is not a "boss" joke in the movie except the opening and no jokes about switching between job and fun time. Hannibal Buress is introduced to audience as a guy paranoid about his wife cheating and uptight about life. He is the one giving most of the offbeat jokes but none of them illustrates his life. Ed Helms and Jeremy Renner both like to do long planning and go extra mile in the game of tag. But the lack of backstory makes them indistinguishable.

All in all, Tag is your average comedy worthy of a movie night.

66/100

P.S. This and Uncle Drew would make a nice double feature as both movies have similar structure and themes.

Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:01 pm
Indiana Jones IV

This movie was fucking awful, I can't believe I watched the whole thing (probably stuck it out for the eye candy--Hamm, Renner, Johnson). The tone of the whole thing is inconsistent, swerving between shitty and other kinds of shitty.

I know it's about five guys, but the female characters in this movie are painfully vapid non-entities (even Isla, who seems to go in for this kind of gender sharting tripe). The "reporter" as portrayed by Annabelle Wallis was worse than a cardboard cut-out. Not for one second did I believe she had any kind of investigative capability, cunning, or grit... she was just there, generic, dumb blonde (the fault of the director and script more than the actress I think). Rashida Jones' casual, cavalier response to Chili when he's clearly excited about her husband dying in a car accident.... ughh, yuck. This was clearly written and directed by idiot dude-bros. Disheartening. I may have chuckled one and a half times, which is not worth the pain of watching this shit pie in its entirety.

D-

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]