Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 154 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 General new series thread 
New Server, Same X

Post General new series thread
I thought we could use a thread to discuss the new shows of the season. I haven't watched any of the pilots yet for new shows, but I have to say I'm not impressed by any previews so far. Everything looks derivative (This is Us ripoff A Million Little Things; Lost vibes in Manifest; typical ensemble drama procedural FBI; CBS remake Magnum P.I.; medical drama New Amsterdam where the doctors will do anything to save the patients, damn it!).

Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:05 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: General new series thread
Manifest was ok, definitely wish it was on ABC. It's one of those shows that if it had good writing would have plenty of material either trying to be Lost or This Is Us combo, but since this is mediocre network fare, guess what... the main character and her ex boyfriend work at a police station, and she has voices in her head leading her to the bad gu-Oh.

Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:22 pm
The Kramer

I have never watched the original and don’t like Riverdale, but am still very interested in The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.

The Romanovs is also must watch whenever that comes out.

Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:29 am
Extraordinary

Tried watching Manifest but fell asleep. Should have watched the Good Doctor since I like that show. I caught the first ep of New Amsterdam and though I watched it to the end, I don't like the main doctor. He's so annoying and the psych doctor as well.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:27 pm
New Server, Same X

The previews for New Amsterdam turned me off. The lead is incredibly unappealing.

Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:24 pm
New Server, Same X

I watched the Murphy Brown premiere. Like Roseanne, much of the premiere looked like the veteran cast just basking in the excitement of playing these characters again. So it came off a little smug in that respect. Will & Grace is the benchmark right now for returning sitcoms, where the actors all comfortably fit back into their roles and were on the ground running right away.

I remember liking the original, but I was 11 or 12 when the original ended, so I wish I could revisit the show to get some jokes I never would have gotten back then. I'd hope the show relies a little less on trying for the big political jabs, because it is impossible to be timely enough to be cutting or edgy. As topical as the show was in the premiere, much of the gags felt like old news.

I'll keep watching though. I like the veteran cast enough to keep watching, and the new additions were OK thus far.

Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:11 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

I liked Murphy Brown as a kid as well. Not sure I really want to see it now though as i'm sure they'll be a little too overt with the political aspects.

New Amsterdam - thought it was a reboot of the Nicolai Costa Waldau show from he early 00s lol.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:03 am
Wallflower

I watched the first episode of Murphy Brown over the weekend and enjoyed it. I wish I could have re-watched the original series since I only saw it as a kid. Hopefully somehow it comes to streaming. Thankfully it wasn't too hard to follow even with my knowledge of the original series being rusty. Though having it available for streaming/in syndication likely would have helped get it better ratings.

I'll definitely keep watching. I really hope it doesn't drop much in the ratings. So nice to have Jake McDorman on the show for eye candy. :D

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:58 pm
New Server, Same X

I gave three new sitcoms a try.

-Single Parents I had some decently-sized expectations for. Some strong cast members (Taran Killam, Leighton Meester, Brad Garrett), and I wasn't disappointed at all in the premiere. Some of the jokes worked, but like all ABC sitcoms, plenty of jokes fall flat. It's not perfect by any means, and it may be way out of place on ABC (kind of like CBS's Me, Myself and I last year), but I like the main group's chemistry. Taran and Leighton especially make for likable leads.

-The Cool Kids on FOX I didn't expect much from, but the veteran cast (David Alan Grier, Martin Mull, Vicki Lawrence and Leslie Jordan) are all such pros, you can watch and be easily entertained by just them. The comedy can be a little stronger, and I expected something edgier from Charlie Day (he co-created and has a cameo in the pilot, that I assume will be a recurring cameo situation), but it's not a trainwreck at all. And it's pretty cool to see actors in their 60s and 70s headlining a sitcom in 2018, rather than being relegated to guest starring roles.

-The Neighborhood on CBS is a mixed bag. Max Greenfield and Beth Behrs are good in their roles as the white couple that moves into a black neighborhood. And some of the supporting cast has the best laughs in the pilot. But Cedric the Entertainer verges on awful. He has a very hammy, "I'm pausing for studio audience laughs" performance that would be super amateurish on sitcoms from 40 years ago. In 2018, he looks horribly out of place and miscast. I don't know much more about the show, maybe he's a producer on it, but either way, he could have been replaced by a much stronger actor. Overall though, it's not a bad show. Some of the racial stuff feels a tad dated, like this is a UPN reject from the 90s. But it's not bad.

Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:49 am
New Server, Same X

Also watched Happy Together. Yikes. This is one of those shows that may get better with time as they try to settle into it, but I gave up halfway through. I loved Damon Wayans Jr. on Happy Endings and New Girl, but he was awful here. It's cringey and meant to be cringey, but I should still laugh. I didn't. The plot is fairly flimsy too, we're just thrown into it.

I generally really like Wayans Jr., and Amber Stevens West had an incredibly likable charm on Ghosted and that same charm was on display here too. But maybe the pilot was just too overstuffed with "Please like me!!" gags. I'll skip the rest of the pilot and give episode 2 a try instead.

Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:51 am
New Server, Same X

Manifest

Finally got around to the pilot. Aside from a few interesting developments, I can't imagine this would sustain my interest over the course of a 16 to 22 episode season for multiple seasons. And the idea isn't terribly gripping either. Plane hits turbulence and ends up almost six years in the future. It leans only mildly on a supernatural tone, relying more on melodrama. The end result made for a passable 42 minutes, but I have no real desire to keep going.

Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:57 pm
New Server, Same X

The Connors was a solid follow-up to Roseanne. I kind of like that the show tackled with death, grieving, what happens when a pinnacle part of a family is gone. It's oddly morbid in that Roseanne isn't actually dead, but it's pretty much the best course of action for the show moving forward. It's propelled by typically solid performances from Goodman and Metcalf, but there's still a certain vibe about the show that everyone is kind of exhausted from the last few months. No one quite knows if this is a good idea, but they're giving it their all.

Of course it's just interesting to see Roseanne continue to melt down over her removal from the show. She's bounced between regret for what she said to feeling grateful the show will come back, only without her, to being indignant about the show's return. She should just be happy for the cast and crew that has a job in spite of her ridiculous opinions.

Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:48 am
New Server, Same X

Checked out The Rookie. The cop drama is riddled with network TV cliches you can see coming a mile away: the training officer that is an asshole who gives his trainee a hard time, but his ex-wife is a drug addict and his one soft spot! the rookie with a dad who is commander of the LAPD's Internal Affairs Division, that has so much to live up to... but he might not have what it takes! the watch commander that doesn't want to give "the old guy" a chance as a rookie because he believes he's going through a midlife crisis... but by pilot's end, he's willing to cut him just the tiniest bit of slack to the series may continue!

Once you mow your way through all the BS in the pilot, you just may find yourself in my position: The Rookie ain't half bad! Yes it's nothing new whatsoever, but the show has enough going for it that it can probably find an audience, especially fans of police procedurals. Nathan Fillion is as game as ever, and his presence is appreciated throughout. He doesn't seem like he's far removed from his Castle role, which is fine. If it works, keep going with it. The rest of the cast, from vets to rookies, is solid as well.

The Rookie won't re-invent the wheel, but it's not trying to either. I can do with way less jabs at Nolan's age (we get it, he's old to be a rookie), but it feels like one of those shows that'll ease itself into a comfortable spot as time goes on. The only downside is network TV has so much to live up to in terms of storytelling, so while the pilot was good, I probably will lose interest in keeping up on a weekly basis.

Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:47 pm
Devil's Advocate

Recent reviews:

The Romanoffs https://julienstvreviews.com/2018/10/30 ... f-mad-men/

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina https://julienstvreviews.com/2018/10/30 ... t-efforts/

Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:29 am
Devil's Advocate

Watched the first two episodes of Homecoming - love him or hate him, Sam Esmail is definitely an auteur, this has his paranoia and visual quirks all over it

Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:52 am
New Server, Same X

Finally watched the new Charmed. Checked out two episodes. It's light and easily-digested. I don't remember too much of the original series, except that it was just as light and fun. I don't see me adding this to weekly viewing. It had some fun moments, but overall, it's a weekly primetime CW series. What you see is what you get.

I didn't have the same connection to the original, so I'm not sure why so many people were outraged by the idea of rebooting the series. That series ran its course, and an update was a good idea. If anything, I'm sure they could tie in the original series at some point, including the original characters.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:40 pm
New Server, Same X

Watched a couple of January premieres:

-Fam: OK, I lied. I watched maybe five minutes. Looked dreadfully unfunny. Didn't get to see Gary Cole, but I predict it wasn't good enough to last that long.

-Schooled: A spinoff of The Goldbergs, this gives a few decent recurring characters (Tim Meadows, Bryan Callen) their own platform, but Lainey (AJ Michalka) isn't quite up to the task of headlining her own series. It has that Goldbergs brand of humor, which is a bit of a negative. It makes it feel like a side story on an episode of The Goldbergs rather than its own show.

-The Passage: Interesting idea, no interest in watching a weekly series on FOX. Some of the stuff in the pilot is very intriguing, but because it's network television, it promises lots of potential with a guarantee of a tedious payoff, if it's lucky enough to get renewed.

Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:09 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Anyone watched the Netflix show You? I'm considering starting it.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:26 pm
Veteran

Love this thread because I'm often overwhelmed by the sheer volume of content Netflix is putting out everyday. I often forget I have an Amazon Prime subscription. Looking forward to all of your recommendations.

Re: The Passage - the books are amazing. Epic even. Reminds me of The Stand. But I agree, the network TV format pretty much makes any adaptation dead on arrival. So much of what makes the book so good couldn't be replicated by an episodic show without an insane budget.

I was blind, but now I see.

Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:52 pm
New Server, Same X

MadGez wrote:

This seems like one of those Netflix shows that has its fanbase, but I'm not sure if it's all that good. I might try it out too though.

Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:12 am
New Server, Same X

lilmac wrote:
Love this thread because I'm often overwhelmed by the sheer volume of content Netflix is putting out everyday. I often forget I have an Amazon Prime subscription. Looking forward to all of your recommendations.

Re: The Passage - the books are amazing. Epic even. Reminds me of The Stand. But I agree, the network TV format pretty much makes any adaptation dead on arrival. So much of what makes the book so good couldn't be replicated by an episodic show without an insane budget.

I forget about Amazon Prime too. Homecoming, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, all these shows I forget about but I should try.

The Passage looks like an insanely good idea, and I'd love to read the books to get the better idea of what the story is, but I find it so difficult to watch network hour-long series any more. The pilot is chock-full of moments that drag the show down. The pilot should be the best episode of, at least, the first half of the first season. So I can foresee a lot of small, fun moments surrounded by tedious scenes that just bore.

Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:24 am
Orphan

I've only watched the pilot for The Passage so far and thought it was decent. Mainly watched because of the lead actor (Zack!).

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:58 pm
Extraordinary

Yes, there are so many new things. I can't keep up or have time. Hard to fit all this in but I only took a look at Mrs Maisel because of the GG win. I was like...hmm let me check that out. I loved it and I love being able to binge so many episodes.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:10 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Mister Ecks wrote:
MadGez wrote:

This seems like one of those Netflix shows that has its fanbase, but I'm not sure if it's all that good. I might try it out too though.

I've given it a go and two episodes in it is quite enjoyable so far. You'll know if you want to continue by the end of the first episode.

Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:57 pm
New Server, Same X

Anyone watch Ricky Gervais's After Life on Netflix? I really enjoyed it. Certain parts, especially where it gets more drama-heavy, felt a little simple and heavy-handed, but overall a good bit of storytelling from Gervais.

Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 154 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next