Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Halloween 2018 - JLC Returns 
Hold the door!

Post Re: Halloween 2018 - JLC Returns
I’m not sold this has more buzz than The Nun. Maybe among film fans, but The Conjuring is a HUGE brand among young people in a way Halloween isn’t. Not to say it won’t do well, but the Nun certainly had big buzz with its target audience of teens and 20 something’s.

Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:48 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

^Agreed. Plus it's the women demograph that's generally hard to predict. Halloween has the buzz but will it all translate to BO? Also the fact that last few weeks before Nun were all about holdovers which won't be the case with this.

Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:54 am
llegó a la casa vía marítima

The Nun trailer had more views than Halloween.

Just saying.

Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:30 pm
Forum General

Yeah the TC brand is probably more popular with today's younger audiences, but it's not like they aren't going to see this movie either. I do expect this to skew older than your average horror film, but Halloween is still one of the most well known horror franchises out there and if they are interested they'll show up.

As for females well all they want to see is a scary movie lol.

Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:27 pm
The Kramer

Major misstep releasing the reviews so early. Not even because they aren’t that great, but being shrouded in mystery would have helped build buzz. Now people can read about exactly what the movie is anywhere.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:46 am
now we know

This film is review-proof anyway. It's a fucking horror film called Halloween. People are going to see it regardless. Nobody cares if a few Guardian readers don't see it.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:51 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yeah I don't see the harm in releasing the reviews early. This is a fan driven movie anyways but good reviews might generate more traffic in this case.

Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:32 am
Forum General

Feelings are certainly not objective, but I get a sense this will be huge. Thinking $65m+ OW with plenty of upside potential. Don't think reviews will matter much, though it will speak volumes about the marketing department if the trailers don't translate to quality.

Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:38 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I feel that the buzz for Halloween is much lower than The Nun and that it will be released in a competitive marketplace which will limit its OW but will do solid overall. I mean the reviews are out and they are great for this genre but I hardly see any excitement about that anywhere. It might increase eventually once Nun slows down though it feels like the case of internet hype of fanboys than a genuine interest

Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:55 pm
Wallflower

Jack Sparrow wrote:
I feel that the buzz for Halloween is much lower than The Nun and that it will be released in a competitive marketplace which will limit its OW but will do solid overall. I mean the reviews are out and they are great for this genre but I hardly see any excitement about that anywhere. It might increase eventually once Nun slows down though it feels like the case of internet hype of fanboys than a genuine interest

Please. You felt the buzz for The Nun was really low too and totally underestimated its opening weekend :P. Obviously buzz for Halloween will only increase as the release date gets closer. It's over a month away yet. Plus, it is the only wide release horror film in October. People will be in the mood for a big horror movie for Halloween. And what better than one named Halloween? :P It's also the big event opening weekend. Serenity will bomb. Then it will repeat over Halloween weekend. It has 2 weeks to rule.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:43 am
Forum General

You can't go to a corn maze, haunted house attraction, or Halloween event without seeing the infamous Myers mask or hearing the creepy theme. This is going to explode.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:16 am
Gamaur's sex slave

The final scene should be Myers removing his mask and the actor underneath is William Shatner.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:38 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Magic Mike wrote:
Please. You felt the buzz for The Nun was really low too and totally underestimated its opening weekend :P. Obviously buzz for Halloween will only increase as the release date gets closer. It's over a month away yet. Plus, it is the only wide release horror film in October. People will be in the mood for a big horror movie for Halloween. And what better than one named Halloween? :P It's also the big event opening weekend. Serenity will bomb. Then it will repeat over Halloween weekend. It has 2 weeks to rule.

So I underestimated a previous horror movie that means I can't predict any horror movie for the year now... I'll remember it next time before posting

I said that the impact of Nun felt lower than Annabelle and the buzz won't translate to BO $$ it's different very very different.

Please tell me what is biggest opening for Halloween unadjusted? I'm guessing $26m for the 2007 reboot. With Nun audience are not starved for horror movie but yes they will still see this though these blanket statements of this will explode are being dropped everyday makes no sense. What's the reason for this exploding to say 3 times OW than the last reboot? If it does say $40m would it mean it exploded?

I never said anything about legs whatsoever but the competition before this is big compared to October standards which will limit it to get buzz upfront.

Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:06 pm
Extraordinary

When HALLOWEEN reboots, the movies tend to be hits. H20's opening (5-day) adjusts to $45 million. Rob Zombie's remake adjusts to $40 million. And neither of those opened in late October with exceptional reviews.

I don't think HALLOWEEN '18 is going to be as mammoth as some people, but there's certainly precedent for the series to sell a NUN-level of tickets.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:39 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I don't buy adjusted numbers at all. Most of the reboots actually fall below opening their originals.

Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:27 am
Extraordinary

Hey, it's your funeral.

I saw it again tonight and the crowd went crazy for it. Nothing cheering during the movie and positive comments on the way out.

Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:31 am
now we know

Back in the old days there would have been a The Nun vs Halloween thread.

Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:38 am
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Rolling Thunder wrote:
You can't go to a corn maze, haunted house attraction, or Halloween event without seeing the infamous Myers mask or hearing the creepy theme. This is going to explode.

Honestly, I don't think he is relevant to young people anymore. He's too "ordinary" and slashers have been replaced by high concept supernatural horror. This forum is mostly 25+ or even 35+ so of course people think it will be massive. It's the movie they've been waiting for for decades. But horror films live on young audiences and I don't sense much excitement there.

I wouldn't be surprised at a mid or low 30s OW tbh.

Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:17 pm
Defeats all expectations

Magic Mike wrote:
People will be in the mood for a big horror movie for Halloween. And what better than one named Halloween? :P

This is something I always find baffling. Why has there never been a Halloween-titled movie released around Halloween? The name alone sells itself. Don't let Michael Myers monopolize the title.

Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:08 pm
Extraordinary

Barrabás wrote:
Rolling Thunder wrote:

Honestly, I don't think he is relevant to young people anymore. He's too "ordinary" and slashers have been replaced by high concept supernatural horror. This forum is mostly 25+ or even 35+ so of course people think it will be massive. It's the movie they've been waiting for for decades. But horror films live on young audiences and I don't sense much excitement there.

I wouldn't be surprised at a mid or low 30s OW tbh.

The movie is going to make you so angry and I can't wait. :)

Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:34 pm
Defeats all expectations

The title and release date alone will carry this to at least $50m+ OW.

Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:37 pm
now we know

i.hope wrote:
Why has there never been a Halloween-titled movie released around Halloween?

Umm, there has been. Most of them, in fact. The first five were all released in October around Halloween. But since 1989 they've all opened earlier and earlier. This is the first Halloween opener in almost 30 years.

Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:04 pm
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

Algren wrote:
i.hope wrote:

Umm, there has been. Most of them, in fact. The first five were all released in October around Halloween. But since 1989 they've all opened earlier and earlier. This is the first Halloween opener in almost 30 years.

True. But my question was more about Halloween-titled movies that do not belong to the Michael Myers series. The only one with "Halloween" in the title was Boo! A Medea Halloween.

Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:52 pm
now we know

i.hope wrote:
Algren wrote:
i.hope wrote:

True. But my question was more about Halloween-titled movies that do not belong to the Michael Myers series.

Ah I see. I think Myers does have that monopoly, as you already said. Any straight-up horror with "halloween" in the title would feel like it's trying to piggyback. What I am surprised hasn't been done before is to use some of its AKAs, such as Hallowe'en, Allhalloween, All Hallows' Eve, etc.

Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:38 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

The Dark Shape wrote:
Hey, it's your funeral

Let me prepare for my :death:

Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next