Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:14 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 A Ghost Story 

Rate This Film
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4

A Ghost Story 
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post A Ghost Story

Quote:
A Ghost Story is a 2017 American supernatural drama film written and directed by David Lowery. It stars Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara, with supporting performances from Will Oldham, Sonia Acevedo, Rob Zabrecky and Liz Franke, and follows the ghost of a recently deceased man who remains in the house he shared with his wife.

The film had its world premiere at the Sundance Film Festival on January 22, 2017 and was released on July 7, 2017, by A24.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:38 am
Forum General

Post Re: A Ghost Story
I thought this was pretty solid. I went in expecting some pretentious art film and while it's definitely an art film I didn't find it to be that pretentious at all. Granted it won't be everyone, but I felt there was something there. I liked the eerie atmosphere even though it's not really a scary or creepy film and there are some gorgeous, haunting shots. However, the best thing about this movie is easily the music IMO. I loved how at times it went from an 80's Amblin/Spielberg vibe to straight up horror, and then something very uplifting and happy. I'm still wondering how and why they got Casey Affleck and Rooney Mara on board for this though even after just seeing it. It's not that their bad in their roles either, because both are quite good, but they don't have a whole lot of dialogue in the movie, and the so called romance element seemed so cold and detached, because that's the way their characters are written. All that being said I still enjoyed it.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:31 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: A Ghost Story
A few of its slow-cinema postures/pretenses are exhausting—the two infamous, minutes-long shots of a character silently eating an entire pie, then vomiting—but I ultimately fell under this film's spell. In addition to being handsomely shot and scored, its concept is just so clever and hypnotic: watching a man's ghost travel through space and time, at first glimpsing the impact of his death on his wife, then haunting subsequent people living in his house, then drifting headlong into a futuristic landscape before circling around to the 19th century. It invites contemplation of our mortality and the enormity of time (and the relationship the two share) and ultimately just feels nourishing in its own peculiar way.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:18 am
now we know

I was all over the place with A Ghost Story. From disliking it at the beginning to loving it by the end. I did not think I would finish the film early on. Its long takes and slow fades are tough to endure, and watching Rooney Mara eat a pie felt like an eternity. But that is short-lived, and while still at a snail's pace it evolves into a compelling, poignant, and thought-provoking film. One that summons you to ponder themes as complex as time and as grim as death. And it is exquisitely shot. Each frame could be a photographic still. This is helped by the curved-cornered framing, evoking nostalgic photographs, but it is still beautiful cinematography. A-

It is directed by David Lowery, who also made Ain't Them Bodies Saints. I did not realise this until after, so now I'm looking even more forward to the forthcoming Robert Redford starrer, The Old Man & The Gun.

Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:32 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]