Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2922 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 117  Next
 China Box Office 
now we know

Post Re: China Box Office
So Skyscraper couldn't manage $80m in 7 days. Just $79m.

In other news, Apartment of Love has almost 1 million people wanting to see it. That comes out on 10th August. I've never seen that many people wanting to see a film before on Dianping. Most I've seen it around 350k. So this could be a big hit. Then again, it is the type of film to target young app users very well, so just how many other people it attracts is hard to tell (those 1m alone will not mean a thing if others don't also see it). But it is poised to do well. We'll see. I'm kicking myself for not tracking what Dying to Survive had prior to release.

Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:28 pm
Profile WWW
The Dark Knight

Presales:
Apartment of Love-7.8m yuan
The Meg-1.3m

Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:51 am
The Dark Knight

898M($132M) for Hello Mr.Billonaire.
Skyscraper-$85M

Presales 8/10:

Apartment of Love-20.01M
The Island-4.93M
The Meg-3.27M

Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:55 pm
The Dark Knight

Presales
Apartment of Love-71.44m.
The Island-18.79m.
The Meg-13.74m.

Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:45 am
Defeats all expectations

Quote:

Disney’s 'Christopher Robin' Won't Get China Release Amid Pooh Crackdown

A source pins the blame on the country’s crusade against images of the Winnie the Pooh character, which has become a symbol of the resistance with foes of the ruling Communist Party, namely Chinese leader Xi Jinping.

For only the second time this year, a Disney movie has been denied release in China. Christopher Robin, a live-action/CGI family film that stars Ewan McGregor, received a no-go from the country's film authorities.

No reason was given for the denial, but a source pinned the blame on China's crackdown on images of the Winnie the Pooh character, which is featured in a central role in Christopher Robin. Last summer, authorities began blocking pictures of Winnie the Pooh on social media given that the character has become a symbol of the resistance in China with foes of the ruling Communist Party, namely Chinese leader Xi Jinping. Bloggers have drawn comparisons between the pudgy bear and Xi, which has put the country's censors in overdrive. In June, Chinese authorities blocked HBO after Last Week Tonight host John Oliver mocked Xi's sensitivity over being compared to Winnie the Pooh.

But an insider counters that the decision likely has to do with the size and scope of the film given the foreign film quota and the fact that there are several new Hollywood tentpoles in the Chinese market right now.

The move won't likely hurt the PG film much at the box office. Christopher Robin is expected to make a solid debut in the U.S. when it opens today, earning between high $20 millions and $30 million. But it's still a small blow given that other recent movies from Disney's live-action division, like 2014's Maleficent and 2015's Cinderella, have made tidy sums in China ($48 million and $72 million, respectively).

Disney put Christopher Robin into development in 2015, long before Winnie the Pooh became a lightning rod for controversy in China. And shooting began on the Marc Forster-helmed film in summer 2017 in the United Kingdom, right around the same time the Chinese Winnie the Pooh crackdown began.

The only other Disney film this year to receive a no from China was A Wrinkle in Time. Disney will open Ant-Man and The Wasp in China on Aug. 24, when it will join other Hollywood tentpoles like Skyscraper and Mission: Impossible – Fallout.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/christopher-robin-refused-china-release-winnie-pooh-crackdown-1131907

:funny:

Emperor Xi's security is threatened by... Pooh Bear! He smells like pooh when dumping the Pooh.

Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:48 am
now we know

Yeah, it is ridiculous. China constantly holds itself back by, among MANY other things, its own insecurity. Essentially, this banning of Winnie the Pooh material, to all outside of China, makes Xi Jinping look incredibly weak. Winnie the Pooh has beaten the Chinese president. :funny:

Peppa Pig is also banned. China is such a pathetic country.

Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:02 am
Profile WWW
now we know

It is coming to Hong Kong. I picked up some postcards the other day when I was there. So glad that Beijing's deplorable decisions don't reach that far (yet).

Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:56 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Lol China.

Though it makes me wonder: how long until Trump tries to ban Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory?

Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:46 am
Devil's Advocate

So Pooh is the Pepe of China?

Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:38 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

That's ridiculous indeed.

Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:17 pm
Defeats all expectations

Algren wrote:
It is coming to Hong Kong. I picked up some postcards the other day when I was there. So glad that Beijing's deplorable decisions don't reach that far (yet).

Yeah, it is playing in Hong Kong and is #5 on the weekend with over US$430,000 (equivalent of $20m OW in the States), not bad in a crowded summer. Hong Kong is relatively free from Chinese interference in movie imports. But restrictive rules on co-productions and self-censorship in both local industries and Hollywood to appease China are emboldening Chinese influence.

Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:23 pm
Defeats all expectations

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Lol China.

Though it makes me wonder: how long until Trump tries to ban Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory?

He wishes. The US has not become an authoritarian regime, yet. The people in the US have a lower tolerance level for an authoritarian than the people in China do.

He will do it in a more subtle (or not so subtle) way. He will probably label dissenters/protesters "dangerous" and "enemy of the people", use the law selectively to scare/punish them, and employ the "civility" mob and "patriotism" police to intimidate them.

Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:49 pm
Defeats all expectations

The is the meme that started all this.

Xi is cute.
Xi is chubby.
Xi looks dumb.
Xi has no clothes.
Xi walks in front like a leader but actually it is Obama whose strength people are in awe of. Cunning Xi is capitalizing on Obama's charm to bully and frighten others. (from an old idiom: 狐假虎威)

Quote:
A tiger caught a fox in a forest, and was just about to eat it, when the fox said, "You mustn't eat me. I was sent by Heaven to rule the animals. By eating me, You will violate the command of Heaven. If you dont believe me, just follow me to see whether the animals are afraid of me." The tiger agreed, and followed the fox as it walked around the forest. The animals all ran away on seeing them. The tiger thought they were afraid of the fox, so he let it go. He didnt realise that it was him that hte beasts were really afraid of.

This idiom means relying on another 's power to bully or frighten others.

These are mild jokes. Making fun of or mocking Xi is considered a threat to national security. :funny:

Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:05 pm
now we know

The government don't want to risk escalation, that's why they ban anything early on. I mean, it's the right way to do things if that's your political persuasion.

That meme is funny. I wonder what happens if I post it publicly on my WeChat feed.

Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:37 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yeah that's just another hilarious jokes you can find these almost everyday on Facebook.

Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:08 pm
now we know

So yet another breakout Chinese comedy. Hello Mr. Billionaire cracks $300 million in just 11 days. Same rate as Rogue One: A Star Wars Story in the US.

It is interesting to look at the high-grossing movies in China. They are frequently comedies, whereas in the US; never. It's always Marvel or Star Wars or Pixar. It probably isn't, but it feels like the last real out-and-out comedy with no brand appeal to breakout in the US was The Hangover, and that only made $277m - Chinese comedies clear that in a fortnight! China certainly loves their comedies, and I admire that. In the US and the west, nobody would ever say their favourite film is a comedy. Just wouldn't happen, but I think Chinese people would have no problem at all saying Detective Chinatown 2 was their favourite film, and it being a new film wouldn't matter either.

Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:39 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

more screens+more people+chinese specific=higher grosses. Nothing surprising about that.
The Hangover was rated R as well. PG13 that clears 350 probably.

I am curious at what tickets cost over there though and maybe who is actually watching these films. I assume it's mainly from the major cities and not the "heartland".

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:39 am
now we know

Most people buy through ticketing apps these days, and you can get most tickets between $3 and $6. I know I rarely pay more than $4.50.

Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:46 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Algren wrote:
Most people buy through ticketing apps these days, and you can get most tickets between $3 and $6. I know I rarely pay more than $4.50.

Do you think that's like a 12-20$ ticket in the states? Like is that expensive or cheap for the average Chinese moviegoer?

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:12 am
Defeats all expectations

Algren wrote:
The government don't want to risk escalation, that's why they ban anything early on. I mean, it's the right way to do things if that's your political persuasion.

That meme is funny. I wonder what happens if I post it publicly on my WeChat feed.

Simply speaking, they want control.

Post it. I bet 80% it will get censored. 50% your account will be suspended for a period of time. And there is no guarantee you won't be visited by a security unit. :lol:

This person who splashed ink on a billboard with an image of Xi to protest his tyrannical rule was sent to a psychiatric hospital. Her father was under house arrest.

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2018/07/23/chinese-protester-splashed-ink-xi-jinping-poster-sent-psychiatric-hospital-report/

Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:42 pm
Defeats all expectations

Algren wrote:
I know I rarely pay more than $4.50.

Wow, HK easily triples that.

Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:47 pm
now we know

i.hope wrote:
Algren wrote:
I know I rarely pay more than $4.50.

Wow, HK easily triples that.

Tell me about it! But then, so does the experience.

Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:25 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

nghtvsn wrote:
Algren wrote:

Do you think that's like a 12-20$ ticket in the states? Like is that expensive or cheap for the average Chinese moviegoer?

What do you mean? I gave you the dollar amounts, so it's like a $3-6 dollar ticket, and the movie-going experience isn't much worse. It's cheap for Chinese people. Ticket prices if you buy at the cinema would be $7-12.

Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:32 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

WOW. So those likes for wanting to see it turned into actual tickets sold. Apartment of Love (also called iApartment) made $43 million on its opening day yesterday. The Meg could only manage $14 million, and it opened 3rd behind another Chinese film, The Island, which made $21 million! That is NOT what Flagship thought would happen.

Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

WOW#2
Apartment of Love was front-loaded as fuck! After that $43 million opening day, it finishes its opening weekend with just $71m!!! The Meg did well, opening with $50m, and The Island eventually won the weekend with $77m.

Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:03 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 2922 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 103, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109 ... 117  Next