Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 91  Next
 The Trump Era: The Awkward Mix of Libertarianism and Fascism 
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Trump Era: The Awkward Mix of Libertarianism and Fas
Seriously, if this was a movie, we'd all be complaining about how cliched all the bad guys are and how no one could ever be so stupid as to do the kinds of things they were doing.

Fri May 04, 2018 8:46 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

It is like John Oliver says, it is Stupid Watergate

Fri May 04, 2018 9:29 pm
Profile WWW

God! It is just getting worse! But Americans don’t support the metric system so what do they know?

Sun May 06, 2018 8:21 pm
now we know

They just want everything to be the same, forever. If it was up to them, they'd still be fighting in the fields with muskets.

Mon May 07, 2018 12:12 am
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

These companies have paid Trump's personal lawyer Michael Cohen for "insights" and access to Trump:

At&T (pending purchase of Time Warner, FCC net neutrality rules, tax cut)
http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/10/media/att-michael-cohen/index.html

Novartis (health care policy, dinner meeting with Trump ahead of a World Economic Forum)
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/09/novartis-paid-trumps-lawyer-michael-cohen-more-than-1-million-for-work-he-was-unable-to-do-company-says.html

Korea Aerospace Industries Ltd (bidding to sell trainer jets to US Air Force)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/south-korean-firm-paid-michael-cohen-150000-as-it-sought-contract-from-us-government/2018/05/09/0ae31788-53b7-11e8-abd8-265bd07a9859_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a09ffc83ab5a

Thu May 10, 2018 10:24 pm
Defeats all expectations

i.hope wrote:
These companies have paid Trump's personal lawyer Michael Cohen for "insights" and access to Trump:

At&T (pending purchase of Time Warner, FCC net neutrality rules, tax cut)
http://money.cnn.com/2018/05/10/media/att-michael-cohen/index.html

Novartis (health care policy, dinner meeting with Trump ahead of a World Economic Forum)
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/09/novartis-paid-trumps-lawyer-michael-cohen-more-than-1-million-for-work-he-was-unable-to-do-company-says.html

Korea Aerospace Industries Ltd (bidding to sell trainer jets to US Air Force)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/south-korean-firm-paid-michael-cohen-150000-as-it-sought-contract-from-us-government/2018/05/09/0ae31788-53b7-11e8-abd8-265bd07a9859_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.a09ffc83ab5a

All these companies are saying they have made a "big mistake", offering "disappointments" and "regrets". But why was it a mistake? We don't see any follow-ups in the press.

Mon May 14, 2018 12:26 am
now we know

It's a mistake because they got caught.

Mon May 14, 2018 12:39 am
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

Algren wrote:
It's a mistake because they got caught.

Yep. They pay everyone and it is common.

Just like defense contractors employ a lot of retired Admirals/Generals that are "consultants" upon retirement.

Odd considering they are 55+ and have zero experience outside their service branch. I wonder why they get those gigs?

Mon May 14, 2018 9:23 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

SO apparently it’s illegal for Trump to block people on Twitter now because it abridges their right to petition the government :funny:

Wed May 23, 2018 5:03 pm

Makes sense.

But there was a victory for him as the NFL is requiring players to stand during the national anthem.

Wed May 23, 2018 6:47 pm
Hold the door!

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
Makes sense.

But there was a victory for him as the NFL is requiring players to stand during the national anthem.

Well, that sort of defeats the purpose if you force them. But whatever.

Wed May 23, 2018 9:01 pm

They are a private organization, so they can do whatever they want, but the are this will not sit well with younger viewers. I guess the NFL is not going to appeal to cable cutters.

Wed May 23, 2018 9:18 pm
Hold the door!

I want people to stand, but I want people to stand because they want to. Forcing them to stand will just embolden them.

Wed May 23, 2018 9:57 pm
Keeping it Light

I think there's nothing wrong with forcing them to stand, it's simply part of the job. It's not like it's some kind of great mental or physical stretch to require of someone. Don't want to stand and refrain from shenanigans during the anthem, don't take the job.

Wed May 23, 2018 10:29 pm
now we know

I don't see what difference it makes whether they stand or not. If they sit, is that an insult to America? I don't think so. I'd let them do as they please. Government obviously shouldn't be getting involved with this bullshit.

Wed May 23, 2018 10:49 pm
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

Algren wrote:
I don't see what difference it makes whether they stand or not. If they sit, is that an insult to America? I don't think so. I'd let them do as they please. Government obviously shouldn't be getting involved with this bullshit.

:thumbsup:

A lot of Americans are being played by Trump mandating how to "respect" a flag.

Thu May 24, 2018 11:53 am
Defeats all expectations

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
They are a private organization, so they can do whatever they want, but the are this will not sit well with younger viewers. I guess the NFL is not going to appeal to cable cutters.

Under the influence of the government. This looks authoritarian to me.

Thu May 24, 2018 11:59 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

If the government influenced the decision, that's a crime, actually.

And to say standing for the anthem is "a part of the job" is so fucking stupid. It's a fucking song that's only played because we like to pretend sports are patriotic. It's a stupid ass tradition. The only time I ever want to hear the anthem is at the Olympics. But even then, it's still pretty dumb.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu May 24, 2018 12:35 pm
Extraordinary

Chippy wrote:

And to say standing for the anthem is "a part of the job" is so fucking stupid. It's a fucking song that's only played because we like to pretend sports are patriotic. It's a stupid ass tradition. The only time I ever want to hear the anthem is at the Olympics. But even then, it's still pretty dumb.

Standing for the anthem has absolutely nothing to do with the job of playing football. It's not part of their job description, and an owner should not be telling them they can't do it.

Thu May 24, 2018 2:27 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

What is next making people in the audience stand. I have a friend who refuses to stand for the anthem during baseball games. I think it is her right not to and the same goes for the players.

Also I see Trump's noble prizes chances went up in smoke. Still work we might go to war with Iran, North Korea, or both within the next year.

Thu May 24, 2018 4:44 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Or someone could nominate him for the Nobel due to his influence in making NFL players stand for the national anthem.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu May 24, 2018 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

He could get nominated but there is no way he will win, especially if the US goes to war.

Thu May 24, 2018 7:04 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Pretty much anyone can be nominated for the award. A nomination is kind of meaningless.

I suggest that next year, you all nominate me for the award. I'll have just as much of a chance of winning as Trump does.

Thu May 24, 2018 7:23 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Chippy wrote:

Considering the controversy, a much easier thing would be to have just removed the anthem from the regular games anyway. Think that would have made the most sense.

Groucho wrote:
Standing for the anthem has absolutely nothing to do with the job of playing football. It's not part of their job description, and an owner should not be telling them they can't do it.

The previous NFL playbook already had some terminology in it, that players should stand when the anthem is played. I don't remember now what was it exactly, but it's the team responsibility or whatever those rules are then pretty much followed.

Now I loved that Kaepernick was protesting and I think he had every right to do so, and did for the right reasons also. But if your employer tells you, he look, here we stand for the anthem, you should fall in line. It's still a job, and there's certain rules whatever they are, if one wants to protest they should do it outside of the responsibilities of their job.

Jedi Master Carr wrote:
What is next making people in the audience stand. I have a friend who refuses to stand for the anthem during baseball games. I think it is her right not to and the same goes for the players.

That would be ridiculous indeed.

Thu May 24, 2018 8:42 pm
Keeping it Light

Having said the above, I'm not opposed to rebellion against authority and I would love for the first game to take place and all team and players to either still kneel or not participate at all during the anthem as a form of protest against the league.

Thu May 24, 2018 9:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68 ... 91  Next