Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Dr. Seuss' The Grinch Predictions 
Hold the door!

Post Dr. Seuss' The Grinch Predictions

This comes out the second week of November, between Dark Phoenix, Nutcracker and Fantastic Beasts. Wreck-IT Ralph comes out 2 weeks after.

The Grinch is by far the best known Dr. Seuss story. But I'm not really sure anyone was looking for a second remake. I'd say around a 50m OW, and a 160-170m finish.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:50 pm
Forum General

Post Re: Dr. Seuss' The Grinch Predictions
Hope it's better than the last one. Man, was that dismal.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:53 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

The last one is low key a beloved Christmas classic.

This one has an uphill battle but it could be huge if it becomes the main family attraction during the holidays (until Mary Poppins).

Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:04 pm
Forum General

Yeah this could be BIG, but the schedule sucks. December would have been much better for it, but the brand is so well known that $300M+ wouldn't surprise me honestly.

Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:56 pm
Deshi Basara

The main problem is that people watch The Grinch every year. Live action versions of animation is one thing. This is a bit of uncharted territory being essentially an animated remake, and it doesn't really feel like one that anyone really wants. There's an overwhelming feeling of just going for a cash grab here vs. delivering something fresh or expanding an established beloved universe. Color me very skeptical.

Most Impressive Openings: Honorable Mentions

Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:56 pm
now we know

Well, that just looks great! $270m+

Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:22 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yeah while I don't think it will be a quality movie the animation looks great like the usual Illumination output which will get children excited and the brand name is big enough to get adults as well. This really should have been release in December. I highly doubt Sing would have done big enough if it was released in November. Plus WIR2 will take away a lot of its audience to be relevant by holidays.

Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:45 pm
Devil's Advocate

Maybe it would've worked better as a sequel. Even if the Grinch is a good guy he can basically be Gru. Or just be shameless and just make a Gru vs Grinch movie.

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:01 pm
Extraordinary

The last film adjusts to almost $450 m. This has huge potential but its release date is way too early. It looks like though it could make a lot of money as the second choice of families throughout the holidays. Way too many big players that time of year. Still think a Sing type performance is reasonable.

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:43 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yeah but Sing was the last animated movie of the year and it was released during the holidays. I don't think this will get the same multiplier as Sing.

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:46 pm
Defeats all expectations

The movie will die after Christmas Day like other holiday-themed movies. I don't see a problem with the release date.

I think the trailer is quite good for what it is, a fluffy fun family movie.

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:51 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I don't think it will maintain its relevance from 9 November to all the way end of December. It will get good late legs but it won't be making much by the time holidays start.

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:54 pm
Defeats all expectations

Universal will keep it playing in theaters. Yes, there is a lot of competition for families. But I think this stands out as the only festive choice.

Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:58 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yes but after 6 weeks how much money do you think it will make? Last year DH2 made like $4m weekend by the time holidays started and while it did well for the type of movie it is, there wasn't enough boost from holidays.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?pa ... shome2.htm

Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:03 pm
now we know

Tue Sep 18, 2018 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

If this blows up then it’s clear Illumination has a Pixar-level pulse on audience and can almost do no wrong.

I was blind, but now I see.

Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:22 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Why? I thought Grinch was a popular character. The last movie topped the year and this won't even come close to that mark. How is that Pixar-level?

Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:29 am
Hatchling

lilmac wrote:
If this blows up then it’s clear Illumination has a Pixar-level pulse on audience and can almost do no wrong.

I think quality matters in the long run. Dreamworks used to compete with Pixar in the late 90s and early to mid 2000s. Later, other than some gems(like How to Train Your Dragon) their overall quality declined and now they aren't in the same level as Pixar. I think Illumination will go down this path too. Time will tell...

Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:25 am
Wallflower

I really wish I would have predicted more for this in the KJ Fall/Winter game. I went with 240 Million but I think it's likely going to reach 300 Million now. I should have had it at #1 instead of Mary Poppins which I'm less confident in after its disappointing trailer released this week.

Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:26 am
The Antichrist

Para wrote:
lilmac wrote:

I think quality matters in the long run. Dreamworks used to compete with Pixar in the late 90s and early to mid 2000s. Later, other than some gems(like How to Train Your Dragon) their overall quality declined and now they aren't in the same level as Pixar. I think Illumination will go down this path too. Time will tell...

It's not a matter of quality, it's a matter of concept, characters and marketing. And of course of zeitgeist.
Dreamworks actually improved the quality of their products as years passed (Shrek 2, Shrek 3 and Madagascar 1/2 are barely watchable, while Kung fu Panda, Megamind, Monsters vs Aliens and HTTYD have a more refined story and animation and don't overdo with cheap gags). Boss Baby was a solid hit because of its premise, not thanks to the quality of the story.
2010 was the key year. Disney came back with a successful princess, thus bringing back to life (a renovated form of) tradition, and ending the strict link between quality and Pixar in animation, and Illumination released Despicable Me, which grossed more than Shrek 4 domestically and dethroned Dreamworks as the leader of the more childish form of animation. So, Dreamworks has fallen behind just because someone new - Illumination - entered the market and produced some extremely sellable characters and ideas (the minions, some talking animals, some singing animals, ecc...). The Illumination movies are by far worse than the Dreamworks ones under every aspect - yet...

Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:08 pm
Hold the door!

Magic Mike wrote:
I really wish I would have predicted more for this in the KJ Fall/Winter game. I went with 240 Million but I think it's likely going to reach 300 Million now. I should have had it at #1 instead of Mary Poppins which I'm less confident in after its disappointing trailer released this week.

Could I ask what you see it opening to and how you see its legs being? I don't see how it grosses 300m with so much competition and being so far from Christmas.

Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:02 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Agreed with Omni Illumination movies are worse than what DreamWorks had to offer in they heyday. Illumination will eventually settle to a decent pace and then DreamWorks will come back.

Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:10 pm
Hatchling

Omni wrote:
Para wrote:
lilmac wrote:

It's not a matter of quality, it's a matter of concept, characters and marketing. And of course of zeitgeist.
Dreamworks actually improved the quality of their products as years passed (Shrek 2, Shrek 3 and Madagascar 1/2 are barely watchable, while Kung fu Panda, Megamind, Monsters vs Aliens and HTTYD have a more refined story and animation and don't overdo with cheap gags). Boss Baby was a solid hit because of its premise, not thanks to the quality of the story.
2010 was the key year. Disney came back with a successful princess, thus bringing back to life (a renovated form of) tradition, and ending the strict link between quality and Pixar in animation, and Illumination released Despicable Me, which grossed more than Shrek 4 domestically and dethroned Dreamworks as the leader of the more childish form of animation. So, Dreamworks has fallen behind just because someone new - Illumination - entered the market and produced some extremely sellable characters and ideas (the minions, some talking animals, some singing animals, ecc...). The Illumination movies are by far worse than the Dreamworks ones under every aspect - yet...

I agree. The reason for Illumination's success in recent years is concept and their good marketing. However this won't do them good in the long run imo. It is also interesting that Comcast/Universal now has both Illumination and Dreamworks and appointed Chris Meledandri to oversee both productions like Disney with Lasseter. I wonder if that strategy will payoff for them similarly.

Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:01 am
Hatchling

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Agreed with Omni Illumination movies are worse than what DreamWorks had to offer in they heyday. Illumination will eventually settle to a decent pace and then DreamWorks will come back.

I'd be very happy if that happened but with Meledandri overseeing them both, I have my doubts now! It'll take at least a year or two to judge Dreamworks under his leadership. I hope HTTYD 3 will be great and will end the trilogy on a high note.

Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:08 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Unfortunately HTTYD 3 looks like a DTV movie and even if good it won't find much audience that's the biggest concern. To me HTTYD is the best series with DreamWorks (ever in terms of quality) and it's sequels will be released in studios weakest era.

Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next