Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 The Cloverfield Paradox 

Rate this film:
A 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
B 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
C 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
D 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 7

The Cloverfield Paradox 
Pure Phase

Post The Cloverfield Paradox

Quote:
The Cloverfield Paradox is a 2018 American science fiction horror film directed by Julius Onah, written by Oren Uziel and Doug Jung, and produced by J. J. Abrams's Bad Robot Productions.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:45 am
Teh Mexican

Post Re: The Cloverfield Paradox
matatonio wrote:
Paradox is pure garbage. I dont get why they even conected this film to cloverfield, they clearly added all the monster stuff later...

D

Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:31 am
The Kramer

So despite the excitement caused by the stealth release, I had my doubts about The Cloverfield Paradox. Why not release it in theaters if it was any good? That, combined with barely any information released about the film raises understandable red flags. It only takes about 10 minutes to quell these doubts though. A quiet opening scene to display the minute stakes and a surprisingly stellar cast flashing through the opening credits take you in to this world as well as any partical accelerator could. This is not only a steal for Netflix, but the major film franchise they’ve been desperately craving.

Contrast this to Life, where every character is an idiot who makes you wonder if humanity is worth saving. The Cloverfield Paradox gives every character the same motive - desperation, but every one has a different way of dealing with it. Which makes them all interesting people to follow through this mind bending puzzle, but tragically also worth mourning when they perish one by one. So if the bottom of the bar for this type of film is Life, the very top is Sunshine. And that is what The Cloverfield Paradox reminded me of most. I can’t think of a higher praise to give a hard sci-fi survival in space picture. The story is dynamic and keeps you engaged all the way through.

Spoiler: show
The very last shot - cool but I hope they escaped that monster’s enormous mouth.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:36 am
100% That Bitch

B+ Matatonio is cray.

This is good.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:58 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I enjoyed it a lot. It's the weakest of the three films but it's fun. It has top notch production design and visuals, and the score is great. I also really enjoyed Gugu Mbatha Raw and Elizabeth Debicki here, all the performances were universally strong. Critics are definitely being way too hard on it. I'm a big fan of this franchise and the way that it consistently reinvents the wheel and surprises. B+

Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:51 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

Its well made and the performances are strong across the board, but just like 10 Cloverfield Lane it has no business having the name Cloverfield in its title. Their are maybe 2 or 3 references to the original film at most and its all lip service. I would have appreciated a lot more if it was just its own thing, because it has a good set-up and I do dig mind bending sci-fi films like this, but between the very little it has to do with the first film and the constant, annoying horror movie cliche's and tropes this was pretty disappointing honestly. I did enjoy it more than Life at least.

C+

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:06 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Do you need to have seen 10 Cloverfield Lane to understand/enjoy this?

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:50 pm
The Kramer

Nope, but you should because 10 Cloverfield Lane is very good. :shades:

These movies are more like alternate scenarios of doomsday rather than directly connecting to each other. Though they are also viewing the apocalypse from very different perspectives.

Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:02 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Generic sci-fi thriller and Paramount is lucky that Netflix took it and gave it a different marketing angle to generate hype otherwise this is a snoozefest where things happen because the script demands it and people start dying left and right. The ending is obviously added last minute into the movie. The one thing that keeps it floating is the cast who give their all to make it happen and decent set pieces. This was a good concept on paper but a poor execution and paper thin storyline bring it down. I might have enjoyed it more if it wasn't "Cloverfield" movie and given it a pass but as it is this was disappointing more than exciting.

4/10.

Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:14 am
now we know

MadGez wrote:
Do you need to have seen 10 Cloverfield Lane to understand/enjoy this?

I really wouldn't think so. The last two films in this "franchise" were not started with any connection to Cloverfield. They're standalone monster movies in their own right, just with a bit of clever editing/additional effects to make a connection.

Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:29 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yes aside from a few references and the very last scene this movie could very well be a non-Cloverfield movie.

Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:36 am
now we know

This was fairly decent. It is nothing revolutionary. Your standard spaceship invasion/who-can-you-trust? thriller, but it is linked to the Cloverfield story which makes it a tad more interesting. Though not as well executed as Life. I was surprised by the cast. Zhang Ziyi, who only speaks Mandarin (and all crew can understand her!), has the best death scene, and Chris O'Dowd has the funniest lines (obviously, he's Irish!), and Simon Pegg is one of the radio voices!

I feel the film could have shown much more of the monster earlier in the film. Couldn't J.J. just use deleted scenes from Cloverfield? All it needed was a few glimpses. Showing it just at the end feels more like title validation than narrative demand. It feels cheap, but I guess it is fun enough. I try not to take this "franchise" too seriously. It is a marvel what they have done by plastering over other previously unrelated films.

B-

Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:36 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

God this was terrible. I hope future Cloverfield movies ignore this one. It's way too silly and worst of all boring. I didn't care about any of the characters or what was going on. I loved the previous two films. This was a chore. Deserves to be relegated to Netflix.

3/10 ( D )

Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:59 am
Pure Phase

A very deflating third entry in producer J. J. Abrams' nebulous, but tantalizing (and, until now, excellent) monster-movie franchise. It plays as an incredibly wan variation on past outer-space horrors: Alien, Event Horizon, Sunshine, the underrated Pandorum, last year's decent enough Life, etc., etc. A superb, eclectic, and chiefly wasted cast, including Daniel Brühl, Gugu Mbatha-Raw, David Oyelowo, and Zhang Ziyi, fails to distinguish the thinly drawn characters and their tedious allegiances and conflicts. And the plot's details and incidents, ranging wildly from high-concept alternate-dimension anomalies to such absurd-macabre flourishes as an Evil Dead II-style sentient severed arm, simply never cohere into a whole with any consistent intrigue or momentum. This is one drearily uninvolving apocalypse. And though the final shot gave me a pleasant chill as a person with an enormous amount of nostalgia for the decade-old original Cloverfield film, the retrofitted franchise references (the insert shots and post-production voice-over fragments turning God Particle into Cloverfield No. 3) feel extremely arbitrary and halfhearted in general, particularly a B-string, earth-set subplot which feels conceived and shot in a day.

C

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:59 am
Pure Phase

Post Re:
Algren wrote:
I feel the film could have shown much more of the monster earlier in the film.

I agree with this. The scenes with the protagonist's husband on earth (with one monster silhouette and lots of anxious texting) are such a waste. Either give them a visceral quality at least modestly reminiscent of the original film or leave them on the cutting-room floor.

Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:03 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I legitimately really like this movie. :P I’ve watched it three times since it dropped. It’s hugely entertaining.

Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:47 pm
Profile YIM
The Kramer

^ Truth

I hope critics are just as wrong about Mute. Seems like a cool idea.

Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:42 pm
Keeping it Light

Not bad, but it's shoddily made, over-reaching its budget and too many space or time-continuum films did it better. I like the cast and the story in general, but the execution leaves things to desire, definitely a step-down from "Lane" and probably similar in how I experienced Cloverfield. Overall it's a just decent, can we call it anthology, trilogy, with Paradox unfortunately fizzling too much. I liked the monster shot at the end, and that's what earned the + for me.

C+

Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]