Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Dunkirk 

Rate This Film
A 50%  50%  [ 9 ]
B 28%  28%  [ 5 ]
C 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
F 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 18

Dunkirk 
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: Dunkirk
I rewatched it for the first time tonight. I think the one thing that kept it from being truly great the first time I saw it was that I didn’t think it was emotional enough, or that it left me a little cold. Well, this happened.

“Well done lads. Well done.”

“All we did was survive.”

“That’s enough.”

This and Hardy’s plane descending mixed with Georgie getting his dream, and the newspaper article all with the music bringing it home...Nolan did it again.

A+

Oh, and while viewing it at home kind of cuts down on the sensory impact, now that I could hear everything which caused the film to land much more emotionally with me, I can take that trade-off.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:29 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Its going to get a lot of technical awards though I hope sound editing and mixing are not the ones in that list.

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:46 pm
The Kramer

https://www.theringer.com/2019/12/30/21 ... chris-ryan

Quentin Tarantino did a Rewatchables podcast on this and he agrees that it's still absurd that this lost to the fucking Shape of Water. :funny:

Also, the way this movie has held up is pretty incredible considering it was supposed to be a purely theatrical experience. I'd put it over Inception and Rises as my favorite Nolan of the decade now.

Tue Dec 31, 2019 2:07 pm
The Kramer

Agreed that Fennesy and Ryan are annoying and think they know everything. Though they are better than Andy Greenwald at least.

Binge Mode with Malory Rubin and Jason Concepcion is great though. They have strong chemistry and always come up with funny recurring jokes, like Professor Minerva McGalleons and her quidditch gambling habits.

Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:50 pm
Devil's Advocate

Mallory is my 2nd favorite Ringer person after Bill (who is the man haters can suck it, hopefully he does one of the pods with QT)

Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:26 am
Devil's Advocate

So Quentin's pick for his next Rewatchable is.. Unstoppable :er: :funny:

Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:46 am
Devil's Advocate

I liked Mark Rylance and his little ship mission (outside of George dying cause he fell down the stairs? Just make him catch a bullet), and the dogfighting was really cool and the way it tied into the ship worked. I liked him running out of gas but still being able to shoot down one more guy and then drifting down. Where I think the movie loses me a bit is the Mole section, it’s spectacular in some parts but I didn’t really care about the characters in it, it didn’t feel like a week went by, and any attempt to connect it to the other two side plots was confusing. Plus the whole generals talking didn’t quite work. Overall great technical achievement by Nolan and spectacular in parts, but like not love.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:30 am
Forum General

This was much better on a second re-watch. I still don't love the movie, but its hard denying that on a technical level it is a masterpiece. Even watching this at home on a computer screen it still sounded pretty incredible and while the smaller than expected scope might bother some I actually think this movies does work better as more of a confined and claustrophobic war film. I still didn't care a whole lot for the characters, but I understand now that it really isn't the point to, however I stand by my previous belief that 1917 is a better version of this film.

B+

Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:30 pm
We had our time together

The best thing about this movie is how great it looks in 4K.

Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:54 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

I just watched this again at home and while still an amazing film, I feel I remembered being more impressed by it on my initial viewings. I may have just not watched it with the best set-up this time, but it feels that it's technical aspects have more impact on a bigger screen and with better sound. With that I also come to notice it doesn't have a very strong protagonist. It's still a great story with a marvelous execution, but having watched some other Nolan films in the last few years (again) too, I'm ranking this below his top films now, where I had it among them before.

Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4