Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 91  Next
 The Trump Era: The Awkward Mix of Libertarianism and Fascism 
Hold the door!

Post Re: The Trump Era: The Awkward Mix of Libertarianism and Fas
Presidents just shouldn’t say shithole in general even if they’re bad countries to live in.

Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:42 am

But this is no ordinary president

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:04 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

If anyone wants some laughs during their lunch, check out #ICancelledMyTripToLondon.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
But this is no ordinary president

Agreed.

He’s not wrong that those are not nice countries to live in, but that’s just rude.

Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:55 pm
Extraordinary

I'm shocked that anyone is shocked. The man has used language like this before, he's said racist things before, he's bragged about his sexual assaults, he's called nazis good people -- really, why is this news? It's just more of the same.

Also, just to clarify:

Fox News is trying once again to distract us from what is really being said by arguing that the cursing isn't a big deal. And it isn't. But this isn't about the cursing.

"Shithole country" really means "I don't want black people coming here."

It's like when he talked about grabbing pussies and people said "Oh, you're all upset that he used the word 'pussy.'" NO, the bad word in that sentence is "grab."

Let's not get distracted by the words, and instead look at what the shithead really is saying.

Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:06 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

How is calling Haiti a shithole country racist? It’s objectively not a nice place to live, nothing necessarily to do with the color of skin.

Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:32 pm
Extraordinary

zwackerm wrote:
How is calling Haiti a shithole country racist? It’s objectively not a nice place to live, nothing necessarily to do with the color of skin.

He said Hati and African countries and instead would rather have immigrants from Norway. So he would rather have white people over black/brown people. Like anybody from Norway would want to come here.

Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:33 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

Jedi Master Carr wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

He said Hati and African countries and instead would rather have immigrants from Norway. So he would rather have white people over black/brown people. Like anybody from Norway would want to come here.

This

Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:59 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

You can't get much whiter than Norway.

Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:25 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

At this point, nobody is shocked. This man is already defined. The Dems need a liable centrist and they cake walk no doubt in 2020 if Trump even seeks reelection

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:36 pm
Hold the door!

Hopefully Trump doesn't run because I don't think he can win. Hopefully they run a likable Republican.

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:42 pm
Hold the door!

Jedi Master Carr wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

Why don't more immigrants go to Norway if it's so much nicer there than in the U.S.?

Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:43 pm
Extraordinary

zwackerm wrote:
Jedi Master Carr wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

Why don't more immigrants go to Norway if it's so much nicer there than in the U.S.?

Well two reasons, one they don't have enough land, and the climate isn't for everyone. The reason Norway has so many positive things is because it is a smaller population.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:06 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Trump is probably more popular than ever in his base. If the Democrats nominate an establishment candidate the Berniebros aren't passionate about, matching the MAGA-ers enthusiasm is still the problem.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:09 pm
Superman: The Movie

zwackerm wrote:
Hopefully Trump doesn't run because I don't think he can win. Hopefully they run a likable Republican.

A likable Republican... :-k

Shack wrote:
Trump is probably more popular than ever in his base. If the Democrats nominate an establishment candidate the Berniebros aren't passionate about, matching the MAGA-ers enthusiasm is still the problem.

Yeah, it's going to be interesting. As much as I find Oprah (or at least her persona) to be annoying, she and Bernie are maybe the only two people right now that enough people could get behind to beat Trump and that's very pathetic. That's of course assuming Trump makes it to 2020 and Mueller doesn't catch up with him. If it's Pence then he'll probably be a lame duck (assuming he even wants the job considering the circumstances or if Mueller doesn't catch up to him too).

Going back to zwack's comment, why do I get a feeling Sarah Palin might somehow not be done? If Don-Don and co get ousted, she seems like the perfect MAGA fill-in.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:47 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Jmart wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

Shack wrote:

Yeah, it's going to be interesting. As much as I find Oprah (or at least her persona) to be annoying, she and Bernie are maybe the only two people right now that enough people could get behind to beat Trump and that's very pathetic. That's of course assuming Trump makes it to 2020 and Mueller doesn't catch up with him. If it's Pence then he'll probably be a lame duck (assuming he even wants the job considering the circumstances or if Mueller doesn't catch up to him too).

Going back to zwack's comment, why do I get a feeling Sarah Palin might somehow not be done? If Don-Don and co get ousted, she seems like the perfect MAGA fill-in.

It is hard to say at this moment. I think if they can find a likeable candidate they should win. Hillary wasn't really likeable and neither is Bernie. I don't care for him and I am ademocrat. He looks like an old curmudgeon. I want someone younger at least 50s. I think Gillenbrand or Cory Booker look like strong possibilities.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:59 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Jmart wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

Shack wrote:

A lot of Republicans were not fond of Trump. But they’d rather a bad Republican than any Democrat take office.

By likable I just mean professional and not as immature acting as Trump. Obviously if you’re on the left you’re going to find it hard to like a Republican however much of a standup guy he may be otherwise.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:42 pm
Superman: The Movie

zwackerm wrote:
Jmart wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

Shack wrote:

A lot of Republicans were not fond of Trump. But they’d rather a bad Republican than any Democrat take office.

By likable I just mean professional and not as immature acting as Trump. Obviously if you’re on the left you’re going to find it hard to like a Republican however much of a standup guy he may be otherwise.

Impeach Trump and stick Pence in there. Pence is a bad Republican and morally despicable, yet he'd still be a step-up from Trump. But then of course they'd alienate their entire fanbase (and that's really what it is at this point) in the short-term by doing that and they'd lose power. And since politics is a game to them about power instead of doing good (unless you're uber rich) the potential stand-up guys have to keep their mouth's shut if they want a job.

I'm sure there are good Republicans out there. They're just being very quiet right now and that's a problem.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:00 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

More people still voted for Democrats over Trump in the last election -- the weirdness of the Electoral College is the only reason Trump is in there.

If we Democrats had a candidate who didn't start off being disliked by 50% of the population we would have won. I don't think it will be that difficult to beat Trump, assuming he's still in office by that time. This is especially true if we can get a candidate that can get Democrats out, enthusiastic, and voting.

Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:37 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

For me Warren is the answer. She would ignite passion in Berniebros without being quite as old or extreme. Is a woman who would call out Trump and is a recognized name. After Bernie loses he can support her or just do it from the start. I know she says she doesn't want it but something tells me 70% of why her and Biden didn't run in 2016 is the Democrats put their hand on their shoulder and said it's Hillary's time. They wanted a coronation. The game was rigged from the inside by the toxic Clintons

Last edited by Shack on Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:06 pm
The Kramer

Warren is too old. Oprah is the answer.

Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:58 pm
Devil's Advocate

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Warren is too old. Oprah is the answer.

Thing is Trump is 3 years older than Warren, so it couldn't really be used against her. You just can't be Sanders or Biden level

Oprah is a good play. Much prefer it to the "Kamala Harris is a corporately connected establishment candidate, but we think you're too stupid to notice and will like her more than Hillary because she's a black woman" strategy

Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:32 pm
The Kramer

Trump doesn’t look old though, it makes a huge difference. Oprah would rally the bases that didn’t show up for Hilary. And the biggest critque of her being a “tv star with no history in politics” obviously wouldn’t hold up anymore. :funny: The Rock would also win but quite frankly it feels like a waste of his talent.

Dems have so far failed to acknowledge that they did anything wrong in the last election though. So a Kamala Harris type is more likely to get inner party support.

Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:18 pm
Hold the door!

I’d much rather Oprah than Warren.

Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:20 pm
Superfreak

Warren is smart as well as tough but good lord nobody about to listen to her for next 4-8 years. so professorial.

Oprah Biden or Booker would win bigly

Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60 ... 91  Next