Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Phantom Thread 

Rate this film:
A 43%  43%  [ 3 ]
B 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
F 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7

Phantom Thread 
Keeping it Light

Post Phantom Thread

Quote:
Phantom Thread is a 2017 American historical drama film written and directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, set in London's couture world in the 1950s. It stars Daniel Day-Lewis, Lesley Manville, and Vicky Krieps.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:26 am
Pure Phase

Post Re: Phantom Thread
Daniel Day-Lewis claims this is his final role before retirement. If so, it would end his storied career on an incredibly high note. He reunites with There Will Be Blood director Paul Thomas Anderson to portray a domineering fashion designer whose highly controlled life in 1950s London is upended when he meets an enigmatic Luxembourgian woman, inviting her to live with him as a muse and mistress. Anderson expertly submerges the audience in an idiosyncratic milieu of high fashion and absurd-glamorous wealth, and the film craftily defies expectations as it reveals its central love story’s shifting power dynamic. It is fascinating to watch as the story of a Great, Flawed Man and his Younger Kept Woman starts to invert and swerve left when one expects it go right. The ending is mad in the best way.

The three primary players are sensational.

Despite an overall tone I would describe as...haunting-romantic (comparisons to Alfred Hitchcock's Rebecca are apt), this film is also frequently hilarious. Day-Lewis' character's response to the word "chic," for instance. And there is a superbly tart quality to Lesley Manville's scene-stealing performance.

And why not:

1. Magnolia
2. Phantom Thread
3. Inherent Vice
4. There Will Be Blood
5. Boogie Nights
6. Punch-Drunk Love
7. Hard Eight
8. The Master

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:06 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

The more I think about this one the more I like it. It's gorgeous to look at, darkly hilarious, takes a lot of surprising turns and the three leads are fantastic. A-

Alma was a pathetic bitch though and I wanted her to die ;)

Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:16 pm
Profile YIM
Cream of the Crop

Phantom Thread turns the pretentious meter up to 11. I didn't find it funny, though about 10% of the audience seemed to find it uproarious. I simply don't have a taste for most of the dishes Paul Thomas Anderson serves. Daniel Day-Lewis is just doing a riff on the Sheldon Cooper character from Big Bang Theory, but I did enjoy Vicky Krieps performance. *D+

Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:00 pm
The Kramer

This reminded me of Mother. So excellently crafted, so narratively frustrating. An artist using a strange backdrop to describe their own romantic struggles.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:51 am
The Kramer

1. Inherent Vice
2. There Will Be Blood
3. The Master

4. Punch Drunk Love
5. Boogie Nights
6. Hard Eight

7. Phantom Thread
8. Magnolia

Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:16 am
Wallflower

Maybe it's because my expectations were so low but I thought this was great. Surprisingly very funny. I laughed a lot. Daniel Day-Lewis and Vicky Krieps are excellent.

8/10 (A-)

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:17 pm
Pure Phase

Magic Mike wrote:
Maybe it's because my expectations were so low but I thought this was great.

This is an odd comment, lol. It feels out-of-step with an Oscar-nominated Paul Thomas Anderson film with Daniel Day-Lewis. "Hey, props for not being the piece of crap I expected!"

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:40 am
Wallflower

David wrote:
Magic Mike wrote:
Maybe it's because my expectations were so low but I thought this was great.

This is an odd comment, lol. It feels out-of-step with an Oscar-nominated Paul Thomas Anderson film with Daniel Day-Lewis. "Hey, props for not being the piece of crap I expected!"

I didn't expect it to be a piece of crap. I just thought it looked kind of dull. I was surprised to find it so entertaining.

Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:47 am
Superman: The Movie

Yeah, I get what Mike means. The trailer made it look like a Chanel ad. But it's PTA and DDL so...

This was fantastic. I thought the movie was going to end when he proposes to her. I thought, "Okay, odd movie but I liked it and I liked the dark-ish ending." Then, to use this awful meme, it's like PTA said "Hold my beer." The last thirty minutes...I think Jedi and Coco might have only had better last acts this year, but I kind of admire PT's more because it's a wonderful mash of funny, wicked and loving. I can't accurately describe the joy, as a viewer, that I felt in my seat when he figures out what she's been doing. That plays out so wonderfully and I'm so happy the movie didn't end where I thought it was going to.

Funny, wicked, and loving. People keep saying, "Gee I wonder how Maya reacted to this." I'm guessing she's the film's biggest fan. It's basically a love letter to her. He sees himself to be kind of an asshole and she's his God.

I need to see his films again, but this might be my favorite PTA film.

A+

Magnus wrote:
I didn’t care for the fate of the characters nor do I think the film has anything interesting to say.

Don't we all want someone to love us so much they'd be willing to (almost) kill us?

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

I liked the ending as everyone is suggesting but the setup before wasn't as rewarding enough for me. I mean we sit almost two hours witnessing that DDL's character is weird and there are things that he does that would make a normal person runaway. But on the other hand we are made to believe that Kreips's character does want to run most of the times while loving the person (for god knows why). I really liked the ending which is what sets this movie apart from rest of PTA movies. Ofcourse the performances were great but Kreips is captivating in every scene, DDL was great in this as expected.

7/10

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:02 pm
now we know

I don't know if I'm capable to explain how I feel about Phantom Thread, but I'll try. I like watching Oscar nominees inside Oscar season. There's something exclusive and rewarding about seeing a film with pedigree at a time when it is water cooler worthy and/or its fate has yet to be decided. But there is also something empowering about seeing an Oscar calibre film outside of the pressures of its season. It allows for a more objective viewing. Anyway, this is the final Oscar nominee from 2017 that I had still to see.

With Phantom Thread, I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, it kept my interest enough with the precarious dynamic between Reynolds and Alma. I guess it adheres very much to the idea that a genius is also a madman/eccentric, and Day-Lewis gives a superbly nuanced performance to bring this extreme-yet-subtle character to life. But for me Lesley Manville steals his 'last film ever' thunder. Her character is much more well-sewn-together, yet similarly as curt and unsympathetic. I do love it when a film brings you into an area that you would otherwise have no exposure to, and it keeps you there and entertains you for its runtime (such as Whiplash). That being said, when stepping back I'm just not in awe of this area of high society, and its characters, setting, and high points throughout are never so mouthwatering that I wanted more. I also struggled to appreciate the point of this film. The best thing about Phantom Thread is its confrontations and its frankness. But they (and the film in general) never really develop into anything, and it more-or-less finishes where it starts - just with a different female companion. It has class in its stock. From its direction to its dress making research to the script, class oozes. But it's a class and a world that I'm alien to, and so the film has a barrier at which I stand as an observer, never a lover.

Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:48 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I quite enjoyed it. I see this as all about extreme mother issues and father issues. Reynolds needs someone to be his mother rather than a wife, and while they aren’t quite as explicit about Alma’s father, considering she’s with an older ultra critical man it makes sense he’s taken the place of a father figure she’s trying to impress. In other words, really fucked up relationship. There’s a reason it ends with them intentionally feeding him poison mushrooms. The ending feels abrupt cause you know the still headed for destruction and expect to see it, but Alma is delusional enough to see a happy ending after it, so that’s where it ends.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]