Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 How Did the Globes Garner Such Respect? 

Post How Did the Globes Garner Such Respect?
I was just listening to an ad for the Greatest Showman and it used its Globe nominations to help promote it. This makes me think, why do the Globes an organization of random critics hold ANY weight? The Academy makes sense, or even the Critics Choice Awards. Hell, even the People's Choice Awards should hold more weight than this BS.

So what is the historical context?

Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:08 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: How Did the Globes Garner Such Respect?
I don’t think it has much prestige. It’s just the most fun to watch since all the celebrities are drunk. And TV ads will use anything to help.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:48 pm
Wallflower

Showman needs to use those Globe nominations because it won't be getting any Oscar nominations outside of song. But still, if your film is nominated why wouldn't you use that? It's the second most watched movie awards ceremony.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:55 pm
now we know

I think a lot of it is in the name. GOLDEN GLOBE sounds grand and important. Critics Choice (which is exactly what the GG are) doesn't sound great.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:21 pm
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

It is not respect. It is visibility. Golden Globes the awards show is telecast every year. It and the Oscars are probably the only movie awards most people know about.

And I don't doubt their nomination list has a purpose: to give movies still or soon to be in release greater visibility as "requested" by the studios.

Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:24 pm

But I guess my question is how did we get to the point where we telecast the Globes? Why not the New York critici awards? The Hollywood Foreign Press is not even a cummilation of all critics like the Critic ms Chouce Awards; it is just a small group of people. Does any know its history that well?

Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:16 pm
Defeats all expectations

Because the Globes is long seen as a legit awards show. The myth was created long ago when people still relied on TV for information. The conventional wisdom was "it is legit when it is on TV". It is more difficult now to create the same kind of grandeur for a new awards show.

HFPA loves the Globes because the show makes them influential. NBC is happy because their show is lucrative and self-promotional. For Hollywood studios, the show is one big advertisement for their movies and tv shows and their company names. Advertisers want to place ads on one of the highest-rated TV shows. No one wants to be honest and destroy the myth surrounding the Globes. And viewers mostly don't know or don't care.

Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]