Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Greatest Showman 

Rate this film:
A 50%  50%  [ 4 ]
B 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8

The Greatest Showman 
Keeping it Light

Post The Greatest Showman

Quote:
The Greatest Showman is a 2017 American period musical drama film directed by Michael Gracey, written by Jenny Bicks and Bill Condon and starring Hugh Jackman, Zac Efron, Michelle Williams, Rebecca Ferguson, Keala Settle, and Zendaya. The film is inspired by the story of how P. T. Barnum started the Barnum & Bailey Circus, and the lives of its attractions.

Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:39 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: The Greatest Showman
I thought this was so cute. This is unabashedly a musical made for Broadway fans and cynics are going to hate it. It's old fashioned, sweet and perfect for the holidays. The songs are insanely catchy and I've had them in my head for days. Hugh, Zac and Zendaya were the standouts of the cast for me. All three were excellent. It's just a fun time at the movies and I don't think it aspires to be anything more. A-

Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:44 pm
Profile YIM
Cream of the Crop

The Greatest Showman is an old school musical. It actually has a song ( A Million Dreams) that I can remember and hum afterwards - very rare in my recent experience. The Jenny Lind song (Never Enough) was also good, though sounded like a 90's power pop ballad not at all appropriate to the film's era or Lind's oeuvre. The rest of the songs were more generic Broadway show tunes.

The story was a severely compressed biography of PT Barnum, which I found a little unsatisfying - I guess I'll just have to wait for a big screen full biopic. I also found the freak-positive messaging rather grating, repetitive, and sycophantic to the current trend. Also, any intended period interracial controversy was blunted by having Zendaya being barely one shade darker than Zac Efron.

Of course, I can let a lot of these quibbles go just from the pure pleasure of watching Hugh Jackman perform in a proper musical to cleanse my palate from the bitter taste of his glowering through this year's disappointing Logan. *A-*

Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:44 pm
Pure Phase

An eager-to-please, lavishly mounted piece of cinematic escapism. I submitted to the FEEL-GOOD-DAMN-YOU! machinery and enjoyed myself for the most part. Just push aside any idea of it being a P. T. Barnum biopic; "sanitized" is hardly a strong enough word when weighing this family-friendly, virtue-signaling, 2017-infused extravaganza against the actual legacy of a cunning 19th-century capitalist who exploited animals, people with disabilities, etc., once even allowing the public to pay to see an elderly, blind African American woman's autopsy. It is almost a shame the protagonist is not an entirely fictional character, in fact, because the title more aptly describes star Hugh Jackman. An absurd, glamorous, tightly choreographed pop ode to his megawatt charisma and stage-honed song-and-dance prowess is most welcome.

B

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:51 am
Extraordinary

Watchable but kinda flat and forgettable.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:05 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

The soundtrack is insanely addicting. I haven’t been able to stop listening to it since I saw this.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:39 pm
Profile YIM
Superman: The Movie

Cute, fluffy and old-fashioned. The songs are quite good. But I dare you to name a character in the circus that isn’t played by Zendaya without first going to IMDb. If the movie is about the marginalized finally getting a voice (among other things), that’s kind of a problem. And it’s not like the movie is too long - it’s 97 minutes - a little more circus folk could’ve helped. Maybe even a little more Barnum? The movie just kind of glosses over his entire upbringing in one song. It’s done well, but his payoff at the end is a little dulled by it.

It’s good, but a 127 minutes cut could’ve been really good. Or maybe that cut exists and it was deleted for a reason.

Yet the movie is somehow irresistible despite all of this.

B

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:56 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Tthe songs are fine, it's just I didn't really care about anyone in the movie. The Zac Efron/Zendaya romance is so underbaked because I know nothing about them.

And if they wanted to be more spectacle than character... sure needed more spectacle.

Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:16 am
Hold the door!

This was awesome! I loved just about every minute of it. The musical numbers were fantastic; I wanted to applaud after each one. The best performances are from Williams and Ferguson, who I must say looked just ravishing in this. Zendaya looked gorgeous too, but her character as well as Efron could have used more development. Maybe a solo song? Way better than La La Land, I wish this were getting more attention.

A

Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:15 pm
Wallflower

zwackerm wrote:
Way better than La La Land

You lie :P. Not possible. But I'll see when I eventually check out the film.

Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:39 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

The songs are earworms. They were stupid to submit "This Is Me'" for awards though - "Rewrite The Stars" is clearly the movie's best song and best scene.

Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:56 pm
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

Nah. "This Is Me" is clearly the song. Not necessarily my favorite (I prefer the opening number), but still.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:43 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I love "The Greatest Show," "Rewrite The Stars," "From Now On," "Tightrope" and "The Other Side." Those are the ones I've had on repeat since seeing this. "A Million Dreams" is delightful too. I prefer the Kesha version of "This Is Me" to the film version. I could take it or leave it with "Never Enough" and "Come Alive"

Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:54 pm
Profile YIM
Hold the door!

Rebecca’s performance during Never Enough makes the song, which is crazy considering she’s dubbed. The song is catchy but in a slightly obnoxious type of way.

There’s no song I dislike.

Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:01 pm
Hold the door!

“This Is Me” definitely has a “we’re writing this song to win a Fucking Oscar” vibe.

Oh and the boy who plays young Barnum was way too old for the voice they had dubbing him. He looked 11 or 12 but A Million Dreams sounded like a little kid singing

Last edited by zwackerm on Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:09 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

It was the first song they wrote for the movie and Hugh's been performing it for years now. I am not surprised that's what they are going with. I just find "Rewrite The Stars" a thousand times more infectious. Also, the Oscar performance would have been cooler.

Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:20 pm
Profile YIM
100% That Bitch

Kesha is gonna get that Oscar performance

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:32 pm
Hold the door!

I’d hope they’d let the films cast perform.

Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:54 pm
100% That Bitch

A-
Lovely. Rewrite The Stars is THE song ot the movie.
Kesha's This is Us is still the best thing to come out of thi

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:12 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I just rewatched the screener of this movie today. I :wub2: it. It's not a perfect film but it's so warm and feel-good.

"Rewrite The Stars" is just movie magic.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:09 pm
Profile YIM
Hold the door!

thompsoncory wrote:
I just rewatched the screener of this movie today. I :wub2: it. It's not a perfect film but it's so warm and feel-good.

"Rewrite The Stars" is just movie magic.

Agreed!

Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:22 pm
Team Kris

Absolutely loved this movie. Saw in with the whole family and my kids sang the songs the whole way home. Went it with low expectations because I'm not really a big musical fan and this turned me around from the get go. This is what going to the movies is all about. Probably tied with Coco as my favorite movie of the past year.

A

Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:52 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

THE GREATEST SHOWMAN

I liked this movie. I was interested from start to finish. The music is definitely the highlight along with the musical performances in the film. I thought Hugh Jackman was great. The bearded lady was excellent. I like that Michelle Williams was (i assume) also singing. Not much more I can add other than I was entertained.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:56 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

The only one who didn't perform their own vocals was Rebecca Ferguson. Michelle was on Broadway before and it is her singing voice here.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:47 pm
Profile YIM
Superman: The Movie

nghtvsn wrote:
THE GREATEST SHOWMAN

I liked this movie. I was interested from start to finish. The music is definitely the highlight along with the musical performances in the film. I thought Hugh Jackman was great. The bearded lady was excellent. I like that Michelle Williams was (i assume) also singing. Not much more I can add other than I was entertained.

Grade - B

Wouldn't it have been great if she had a name? :whistle:

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:52 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next