Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Thor: Ragnarok 

Rate this film:
A 40%  40%  [ 6 ]
B 53%  53%  [ 8 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 15

Thor: Ragnarok 
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Post Re: Thor: Ragnarok
Fabulously throwaway and silly. Felt like the thing was 50% ad libbed but they kept hitting the marks. Oddly though funniest moment is how quickly the warriors 3 are dispatched. Its like the screenwriters realised they needed to put them in the movie at the last moment due to some contract obligation and just went, fuck it 10 seconds is enough!

Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:54 pm

Gulli! Fantastic review

Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:16 pm
now we know

Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:33 am
Profile WWW
Gamaur's sex slave

Magnus wrote:
Gulli wrote:
Fabulously throwaway and silly. Felt like the thing was 50% ad libbed but they kept hitting the marks. Oddly though funniest moment is how quickly the warriors 3 are dispatched. Its like the screenwriters realised they needed to put them in the movie at the last moment due to some contract obligation and just went, fuck it 10 seconds is enough!

who is this strange man

Some colcannon muncher who only shows up every 5 years. :ninja:

Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:36 pm

Like a cicada?

Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:15 pm
Extraordinary

Magnus wrote:
Gulli wrote:

who is this strange man

Reminds me when Palpatine just whips Kit Fisto and the other dude in like 3 swings. That was a joke.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:01 am
The Kramer

Thor: Ragnarok is a terrific action comedy. Loki and Korg get the best lines, but the rapid fire jokes keep this moving at such a brisk pace that it'd be impossible not to enjoy. It does further the Asgardian family saga quite well, not only here but for the whole MCU. At last we know why Odin over reacted so hard in the first movie, cause all of this has happened before and he couldn't deal with repeating the cycle. But cycles do repeat, and no amount of dirt will bury the truth forever. A very fitting way for the all-father. Loki is more of a comedic character than a tragic one here, but his journey is deep nonetheless. He achieves all his goals as a villian, is bored by the result, and has to reboot himself as a hero. Now we all know he took the tesseract at the end, but even sticking around to face the unknown future is a major step for him, and he has all of infinity to figure out the rest. This kind of stuff is why I love the first Thor and continue to defend the second. Add in the extra redemption angles involving Hulk and Valkyrie and one can see why this is so highly regarded.

My biggest problem was that, for the first time in the MCU, I felt the comedy was just too much sometimes. Even Guardians relaxes every now and then to let a heavy moment sink in. Thor is never capable of doing that unfortunately. They couldn't even wait 5 seconds after the total destruction of Asgard to have Korg starting making jokes again. I love Korg, but cmon man shut the fuck up, I know you have the power Mr. Director. So despite everything else being so great, I think this keeps it out of Tier 1 Marvel.

Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:20 pm
The Kramer

Avengers
Guardians
Civil War
The Winter Solider

Thor
Iron Man
The Incredible Hulk
Doctor Strange
Captain America
Thor Ragnarok
Avengers Age of Ultron

Iron Man 3
Iron Man 2
Spider-Man
Thor 2
Ant-Man
Guardians 2

Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:25 pm

Again, I enjoy it went full in on being comedy. First time a Marvel film felt like a complete film

Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:27 pm
On autopilot for the summer

This film is the equivalent of the Spiderman 3 twist

But it works because it does it the in beginning:
Honestly if you look it is filmmakers saying:

Fuck Jane, Fuck the friends, fuck ASGARD, Fuck Loki being bad, Fuck the hammer, and lets see what's what. Has anyone ever seen Cate Blanchett in a tight suit with eyeliner, you've never been into Goth but that will make men question themselves.

But, there are strong emotional beats, as random as they are, and they also work.

This is a film that should not work, but works on so many levels

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:22 pm
The Kramer

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
Again, I enjoy it went full in on being comedy. First time a Marvel film felt like a complete film
It does work some of the time, like Korg's "Sounds like you had a special bond with this hammer, and losing it is like losing a friend." Comedic and character building.

Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:55 pm
The Kramer

We also a roadmap for Infinity War. Thanos taking the tesseract from The Revengers gives a great opening action scene and a Very conveinant way for Thanos to fast travel around the different properties. Destroying the Nova Corp. brings in the Guardians after all.

Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:59 pm
Superfreak

I thought this was fucking awful. What is the point of the entire "other planet" stuff other than to meet up with Hulk and girl from Creed?

Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:44 pm
Superfreak

Magnus wrote:
the more I think about it, the more I like this movie as a stand-alone movie and the more I think it lessens the cinematic universe as a whole.

The film cheapens so much of any dramatic tension in the universe that it diminishes the other Avenger movies (+ Civil War).

Loki is a villain who literally caused the deaths of thousands of people...and he ends up becoming a comedic punch line for most of this film. Doctor Strange just toys with him (which sort of depowers Loki's abilities and makes him far less menancing and threatning) and even Banner is just like, "oh hey its Loki" and not "wtf its the dude that killed a lot of people and tried to take over the world."

It wouldn't surprise me if in a few years from now we see Thanos join the Avengers to fight some common enemey and everyone acts hunky dory with each other. That's where the MCU seems to be heading and its frankly a bit annoying. Nothing seems to matter. In its defense, this happens in actual comics storylines but it isn't a good thing (and it's also a reason why comics have had to end up rebooting their storylines so much because they get so stupid).

Their universe is beyond a joke to serious minded movie goers. Of course the films are enjoyable if one turns their brain off but to act like this movie is a bette film than something like MAN OF STEEL is hilarious.

No themes, no message, no dramatic tension, no character development or arc, everything just goes in circles, etc.

From an artistic integrity perspective, the Marvel films have been a joke for a long time. Frankly, the first wave of organ films and first Avengers were for the most part awesome. Everything since then has been all down hill.

Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:46 pm
now we know

Excel wrote:
the Marvel films have been a joke for a long time

And now, with Justice League, DC is joining them.

Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:28 pm
Profile WWW

Ragnarok is a film with actual artistic auteur realization

Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:46 pm
now we know

Of course Marvel films have artistic integrity. It's just a different type to DC. They also have character development, themes etc. It is insane to say otherwise. They would not have got to 17+ films on quips and explosions alone. Excel has just been fooled by the Dark Knight trilogy into believing that darkness, a serious tone, doom and gloom = artistic integrity, and everything else is inferior. Ah, let him remain deluded.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:06 am
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Idiot

Yes saying that Marvel movies are a joke is also far-fetched even if their themes aren't as great as DC. Plus BvS vs CA:CW and even though there were great ideas in the former the later was a great movie with a pretty intense story-line.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:30 am

The middle phase was pretty weak though outside of Winter Soldier. Age of Ultron is worse than Justice League. I couldn't even tell you the plot to Ultron.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:33 am
Hold the door!

Age of Ultron is worse than Justice League. I couldn't even tell you the plot to Ultron.

No it's not.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:20 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Age of Ultron is bad but its definitely not as bad as JL but everyone has their opinions and I am fine someone thinks that way as neither of them is great.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:31 pm
The Kramer

Come on guys, excel is just lashing out as usual when the box office doesn't go his way.

I do hope the real excel comes back one day though. :thumbsup:

Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:11 pm
Keeping it Light

Age of Ultron is not even bad, it's just average and has definitely become below the norm for Marvel. Still it's better than more than half of all the DC films.

Last edited by stuffp on Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:31 pm

It just felt like a string of Joss Whedon scenes played for giggles with no focus and was designed to set up other movies with no story itself. At least Justice League had interesting main characters

Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:04 pm

zwackerm wrote:
Age of Ultron is worse than Justice League. I couldn't even tell you the plot to Ultron.

No it's not.

Have you seen Justice League?

Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next