Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Crashed Table Threads 
now we know

Post Crashed Table Threads
So some threads do not open because of crashed tables. The ones I have noticed:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=83057
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=79871&start=225
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=80714&start=325

All have this error:
Table 'phpbb_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [1194]

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:51 am
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

Post Re: Crashed Table Threads
The Detroit predictions thread too.

http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=82508

Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:16 pm
Romosexual!

Justice League thread is still down :(

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=79871&start=225

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:58 pm
now we know

Just in case the new owners don't know how do repair it: https://www.404techsupport.com/2009/08/ ... -repaired/

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:39 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

And the boards seem to be well again, thank you new owners.

Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:47 pm
now we know

...or thank you 404techsupport.com ;)

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:36 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

This is happening again:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=78501
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=83318

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:26 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

This forum is beginning to depress me. ;) It so badly needs updating. So much ugliness and, uh, out-of-dateness; consider the description for the Oscars/awards section, with its hyper-timely references to In the Heart of the Sea and Secrets in Their Eyes! Or this:
Quote:
Discuss anything box officeish. Movie aspirations? Daily Gross? etc etc all goes here.
"box officeish." Bizarre capitalization. It murders my OCD, lol.

Lately World of KJ has felt closer than ever to death, as if it is actively winding down. I guess Chippy is entirely gone, leaving me in charge of the reviews section. Which is a gig I do not believe I ever actively volunteered for.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:17 pm
now we know

I could spruce the place up if given the power. Think about it; I am always online. I am articulate. Love movies and the site (why else would I stick around?). Not prone to childish walkouts (therefore always here). Happy to create movie threads. Happy to do rank changes. Happy to edit forum descriptions. And all other minor non-admin tasks. Put your hatred aside, Lecter!

But no, sure, go and make someone like Groucho a mod. He's on here once a week. Or maybe MikeQ. Or rusty. Ya' know, the regulars.

Or (as I suspect will happen), do nothing. :thumbsup:

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:11 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

I would be a mod, even though I'm not on here nearly as much as I used to be I'm still probably among the most active posters, possibly only behind Algren.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:40 pm
The Wall

No and no.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:49 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

That is precisely the close-minded approach that has kept KJ from growing. I'm not begging to be a moderator. I'm lending a helping hand if it is needed (and it clearly is). If they don't want it, then fair enough. But something needs to be done. That being said, maybe it doesn't. Magnus even mentioned the other day that this place will die soon. If even the owners of this forum don't care about saving it, there's not much hope. I don't know, perhaps they have grander ideas that require this version of World of KJ to be completely gone before they can implement, but I doubt it. It just looks as if this place will die. One thing I don't understand is why even take over ownership if you don't care about saving it?

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:58 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

BOth Algren and I would be much better mods than Chippy or Dr. Lecter.

Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:11 pm
now we know

Algerm > Chicter

But that goes without saying since Chippy and Lecter abandoned ship. We win by default.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:33 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

Even helping hands need to be stable minded people who don't bait and troll on the regular. You are clearly far from that.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:39 am
Profile WWW
now we know

And that's fine, if that's the opinion of the admin. But at least I offered.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:12 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

_axiom wrote:
Even helping hands need to be stable minded people who don't bait and troll on the regular. You are clearly far from that.

Yeah, Chippy never baited and trolled.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:32 am
now we know

He did, but really badly.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:54 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Dr Lecter or Chippy shouldn't be owners

I don't know if I want to be an owner, but I volunteer to resurrect the main site if I'm given access and it doesn't require complicated coding

Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:27 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

Let's be clear: The main site isn't going to be updated. I'm pretty certain everyone's accepted as such, and are fine with it. It's not a big deal any longer and shouldn't be discussed.

The priority should simply be to maintain a regularly updated forum in the form of thread creation, member requests (rank and name changes), and updated descriptions and thread titles.

The current moderators, except for MGKC, simply aren't active enough to perform these every day/week tasks. The Everyone's A Critic forum aside, there have been threads taking weeks to be unpinned in recent months as well -- it all just looks neglected. There may be other examples as well that I haven't noticed.

This isn't a jab at anyone on the moderator or administration teams, exactly, just an observation that a couple current regular members should probably be taking over for such duties.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:05 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

In my opinion the biggest thing the site needs is new members. Otherwise it is a downward spiral as people leave who aren't replaced by anyone. Giving up the main site is effectively giving up on new people finding the site

My plan for the main site would be for it to be driven by box office articles. There are too many reviews and news sites out there for WOKJ to stand out, whereas this is one of the best sources of box office expertise out there and has a Derby. Awards articles could also be an option. I would remove the system of any user posting an article.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:58 pm
now we know

Corpse wrote:
Let's be clear: The main site isn't going to be updated. I'm pretty certain everyone's accepted as such, and are fine with it. It's not a big deal any longer and shouldn't be discussed.

The priority should simply be to maintain a regularly updated forum in the form of thread creation, member requests (rank and name changes), and updated descriptions and thread titles.

The current moderators, except for MGKC, simply aren't active enough to perform these every day/week tasks. The Everyone's A Critic forum aside, there have been threads taking weeks to be unpinned in recent months as well -- it all just looks neglected. There may be other examples as well that I haven't noticed.

This is bang on.

Shack wrote:
My plan for the main site would be for it to be driven by box office articles. There are too many reviews and news sites out there for WOKJ to stand out, whereas this is one of the best sources of box office expertise out there and has a Derby. Awards articles could also be an option. I would remove the system of any user posting an article.

That would require the site to hire a writer, which would be great, but I don't see it when the owners cannot even update a forum description.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:48 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

They would still be written by users here, but in the old system posters could post articles straight onto to the site immediately without it going through any admin. I would go back to a traditional system where the writer sends it to one of us, who then edits and posts it

Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:22 am
now we know

There is still job creation whichever way you look at it, and as I said...if they cannot even update forum description text, they're hardly going to proofread and edit user articles. And then comes the social aspect. Articles won't get read all by themselves. They need to be pushed. It's a big task that needs persistence, remuneration, and a long-game strategy - which is harder in these times of heightened expectations and immediate results.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:28 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I am willing to be the editor, I'm not asking the currently detached owners to be involved other than handing over the controls. It would not be a major task to post a few articles per week. As for promotion it's possible search engines alone bring some users here. I can try linking some articles on places like reddit, twitter, BOT, etc. There is nothing to lose, if I can't handle it then 3 months from now things will just go back to what they are now.

Things are so bad now that if all it produced was one new regular a year it would make a big difference. Since 2010 not counting bradley's fake account tree and a half, the only 2 new posters with over 1000 posts are zwackerm and stuffp and both have been worth their weight in gold in terms of keeping this place going. How many regulars have left since 2010, over 50? It can't last another 8 years at that ratio. There have been no registrations at all since July.

Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next