Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Bye WoKJ! 
now we know

Post Re: Bye WoKJ!
David wrote:
World of KJ is a dive bar. It is in an industrial part of town. The paint on the walls is crumbling, and gentrification is encroaching. A mediocre watering hole with a few loyal patrons. Forbidding salty old son-of-a-bitch Bob from coming in is not going to bring in a hot, young, vital crowd. It is just going to be one less ass on a seat on a chilly, lonely Thursday night.

I am hysterical every time I read this -- and I've read it more than a dozen times. It is poetry.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:20 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

It's an awesome post and I love being on KJ for what it is, including salty old son-of-a-bitch Bob.
Screw the hot, young, vital crowd (not you zwackerm).

Algren is often the main force driving traffic through many threads, and while there's sometimes a collision here and there, I much prefer that over deserted roads.

Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:53 am
Extraordinary

As am I. I've been really sick the past few days and missed out on the fireworks, but for a small community it's always sad when members leave.

When it comes to Algren, we obviously aren't friends, and he takes pride in being an ass. But I'm hesitant to ban someone just because we disagree, and being an ass isn't a crime in and of itself.

I think Caius hit the nail on the head - we're aging, and that is naturally causing people to move on as life takes priority. I joined World of KJ when I was 19, and I turn 32 in less than two weeks. I'm not married and I don't have kids, but I'm still so busy that I can't post nearly as often as I used to. We simply aren't drawing in enough new members to thrive.

Libs wrote:
I'm out too. A forum where I can't even see 90% of the posts because they're coming from a degenerate sack of shit loser like Algren is not where I want to be anymore.

Libs is right. The problem isn't Algren himself, it's that we don't have enough posters with alternate viewpoints, so all she saw was Algren. We're left in the situation of needing to grow, or die.

I do not think Algren should be banned - I think we should explore the steps we need to take to relaunch the site, so that Algren's voice isn't louder than everyone else's.

Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:17 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

If you are to relaunch the site, it could use a better and more general name at least that google can easily search.

Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:34 pm
Pure Phase

World of KJ was always an odd name. It is just Karl/Eagle's initials, right?

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:11 pm
Superfreak

I have been told directly to squash the idea of growing the site into a profitable digital brand. For some reason. There is so much we could offer and its an easy sell with geofencing and what not. But I guess it's something they're not interested in.

The Dark Shape wrote:
As am I. I've been really sick the past few days and missed out on the fireworks, but for a small community it's always sad when members leave.

When it comes to Algren, we obviously aren't friends, and he takes pride in being an ass. But I'm hesitant to ban someone just because we disagree, and being an ass isn't a crime in and of itself.

I think Caius hit the nail on the head - we're aging, and that is naturally causing people to move on as life takes priority. I joined World of KJ when I was 19, and I turn 32 in less than two weeks. I'm not married and I don't have kids, but I'm still so busy that I can't post nearly as often as I used to. We simply aren't drawing in enough new members to thrive.

Libs wrote:
I'm out too. A forum where I can't even see 90% of the posts because they're coming from a degenerate sack of shit loser like Algren is not where I want to be anymore.

Libs is right. The problem isn't Algren himself, it's that we don't have enough posters with alternate viewpoints, so all she saw was Algren. We're left in the situation of needing to grow, or die.

I do not think Algren should be banned - I think we should explore the steps we need to take to relaunch the site, so that Algren's voice isn't louder than everyone else's.

Algren is absolutely the problem. He legitimately stalks them and belittles them constantly. It would fly at no other forum that I know. Any sort of response that implies the issue here is Libs or Chippy "thin skin" or whatever is complete bullshit and we all know it. It doesn't matter if there are 1000 other posters being positive and happy, his remarks are still totally unacceptable and I find it totally bizarre that some here see it differently.

Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:34 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

David wrote:
World of KJ was always an odd name. It is just Karl/Eagle's initials, right?

Well since Magnus is the new owner, it should be called the Hookah Lounge

Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:44 pm
now we know

"KJ" means killjoy. Isn't it World of KillJoy? That's the site I was signing up for! ;)

And we have been in Beta testing for 13 years. Might be a record!

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:53 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Excel wrote:
Algren is absolutely the problem. He legitimately stalks them and belittles them constantly. It would fly at no other forum that I know. Any sort of response that implies the issue here is Libs or Chippy "thin skin" or whatever is complete bullshit and we all know it. It doesn't matter if there are 1000 other posters being positive and happy, his remarks are still totally unacceptable and I find it totally bizarre that some here see it differently.

I don't think they're being at all thin-skinned, but the Algren comments I've seen have been in bad taste, not threatening. If he were to threaten someone or make them feel unsafe - or if there's an existing comment you can link me to - that's absolutely another matter.

Maybe I'm erring too far on the other side of the line, because it's well-known Algren and I don't like each other. But I don't want him banned just because he's not my favorite person in the world.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:05 am
The Kramer

Meh. We've had worse trolls and libs survived all them. Sorry to hear algren pushed her over the line. Though maybe we should be impressed she survived this sausage party for so long. All the way to before the exodus!

Chippy will 100% be back. He's a core part of KJ's DCU fanbase and won't miss Justice League.

We're only gonna have like 10 ballots for the KJ awards this year. Doc might demand the big money to come back to that low of turnout. So everyone needs to stop scaring everyone else away.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:38 am
The Kramer

Algren, in spite of everything else, clearly loves movies and has a passion for going to the cinema. Those are the type of people I want around here.

That's also why saying "libs didn't contribute much" is nonsense. She would see just about everything and always post a review. Again, those are the type of people I want around here.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 3:45 am
Superfreak

The Dark Shape wrote:
Excel wrote:

I don't think they're being at all thin-skinned, but the Algren comments I've seen have been in bad taste, not threatening. If he were to threaten someone or make them feel unsafe - or if there's an existing comment you can link me to - that's absolutely another matter.

Maybe I'm erring too far on the other side of the line, because it's well-known Algren and I don't like each other. But I don't want him banned just because he's not my favorite person in the world.

He harassses constantly. This behavior is not accepted at all at other larger, more successful forums.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:35 am
---------

I am personally not for an Algren ban without specific posts of personal harassment or bannable activity being linked.

With the low number of posters, his posts do stand out more. While some of them can be troll-like, he is nowhere near the level of a Joe / BKB type with the key difference being their level of seriousness.

I generally enjoy most of what Algren posts (along with Libs and Chippy), and I want everyone to stay and be happy. Sadly, it doesn't seem possible now to have everyone stay. :(

Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:47 am
Superfreak

I'm not for an Algren ban assuming his behavior improves. He does contribute some positive stuff, but the stalking, belittling, and harassment needs to end, he's earned his own reputation and has to live with it.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:21 am
Cream of the Crop

Excel has become KJ's own little SJW!

Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:37 am
Superfreak

I just want the place to grow.

Tue Jul 04, 2017 12:01 pm
Homo Dperious

It's a shame. I honestly don't think BKB was ever as inconsiderate. Even if I argued with Chippy all the time, I didn't mind him as much.

They will be missed.

Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:48 pm
Profile ICQ
Superfreak

BKB was a clown and nothing more. He was funny,

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:13 pm
now we know

Chippy's withdrawal symptoms must have set in by now. It must be killing him. :funny:

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:15 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
Algren, in spite of everything else, clearly loves movies and has a passion for going to the cinema. Those are the type of people I want around here.

That's also why saying "libs didn't contribute much" is nonsense. She would see just about everything and always post a review. Again, those are the type of people I want around here.

Revealingly, Excel has only posted 7 reviews on WOKJ in the past 12 months.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:47 am
Devil's Advocate

It's killing Libs that she can't make the Emmy nominations thread in TV forum

Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:00 pm
now we know

Nobody is stopping her.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:31 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Jmovies too

Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:21 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Chippy just got promoted to a Mod and he is leaving? Why?

Libs I liked you as a poster and I know that you wouldn't reconsider but would love you to join back anytime.

I have already said a lot of times that I am against Algren ban even though I believe we lock horns more than anyone here in the forum (maybe after Algren and Libs did in other forums but I am not sure). I don't feel like banning anyone but Libs leaving does give a signal that Algren is the only one rapidly posting here (even though I tried to so hard to match him in BO forums) :P

Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:03 pm
now we know

Jack Sparrow wrote:
Chippy just got promoted to a Mod and he is leaving? Why?

He has not left, and he will not leave. He'll be back posting very shortly. He is still fulfilling his moderator responsibilities, but without his trolling schtick ... we should be very pleased. It is the perfect outcome. :thumbsup:

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:12 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next