Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Sense8 (Netflix) 
Extraordinary

Post Re: Sense8 (Netflix)
Uggggggghhhhh

They should have a movie to wrap things up. How dumb.

Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:09 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I'm devastated :(

Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:11 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

What a bummer...

Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:19 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

That's surprising, I would think Sense8 might get them a different demo of subscriber than some of their other shows

Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:24 pm
Pure Phase

This cancellation is brutal. Absolutely brutal. The ending of the second season completely suggests at least one more was planned. It does not function well as a series finale at all. :(

I always felt Netflix undersold this series considering its creators' fame; its easier-sell elements (action, science fiction, gorgeous worldwide locations in HD); and its ability to generate controversy and water-cooler conversation for its more-open-than-most depiction of homosexuality and transgenderism. They could have spun this into a sensation.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:36 pm
Teenage Dream

This show's cancellation is a huge slap in the face to the fans. Netflix can surely afford at least a Christmas special or movie to wrap things up.

Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:50 am
The Wall

I started to watch season 2 just a couple of days before this was canceled. LOL, what a timing. Anyway I thought season 2 was a massive improvement over season 1 which was clunky, cliched and most of the time downright stupid. The show tried to be grandiose and poignant each and every second and I thought it just didn't work at all. I laughed at nearly all scenes that were trying to be emotional.

But season 2 was much better paced and the most of the stories evolved over their generalized roots (actor needing to keep his sexuality hidden because of fame, Indian woman not being able to choose a husband and experience spontaneous love, Korean girl caught in the middle of family honor matters, etc.) and went into much more satisfying and not that predictable direction. They mythology also evolved a lot and was very intriguing. I was especially impressed by the editing which was really top notch (I've went and checked and they did change one of the two main editors and it obviously made a huge difference).

So overall I'm disappointed we won't be getting at least some sort of a conclusion. I didn't think Netflix was such a cutthroat business. Even broadcast network nowadays seem willing to give abbreviated seasons or some kind of a resolution to series that lasted two or more seasons.

Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

WTF Netflix :tears:

Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:05 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

The fact that Netflix posted this half-assed, horseshit 'apology' makes me want to cancel my subscription. So fucking disrespectful to the fans.

http://sense8.tumblr.com/post/161601416 ... se8-family

Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:57 pm
Profile YIM
Pure Phase

I can imagine the series being a budgetary and scheduling nightmare, but with the way Netflix spends money (dropping, what?, 70 million or so on the no-one-cares War Machine), refusal to even do a story-concluding two-hour special is a bitter pill to swallow.

The cancellation also seemed to come so soon after the second season debuted. Almost a form of anti-advertising. A way of saying, "Don't even bother with the season we just dropped" to those who catch up with Netflix content more slowly.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:10 am
Devil's Advocate

I agree that they could have found a way to give it a finale, such as season 2 being pre-cancelled since it was likely obvious after season 1 it was too expensive to last. Cynically I almost wonder if Netflix knows there's a better chance of people watching Sense8 ten years from now if they're Firefly-ing to its cancellation than a more quiet fade out.

Overall this seems like a moment when TV media/critics (who are increasingly clickbait and hype driven) start to turn on Netflix. They cancelled two of their most African American or LGBT shows, John Landgraf of FX who is a golden boy right now gave an interview where he shit on them repeatedly, and House of Cards and OITNB metacritics plummeted.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:21 am
The Wall

thompsoncory wrote:
The fact that Netflix posted this half-assed, horseshit 'apology' makes me want to cancel my subscription. So fucking disrespectful to the fans.

What are they supposed to do? Unsubscribe if it makes you happy, it won't hurt them. If a network waits months keeping fans on pins and needles and ultimately cancels a show it's a shitty network. If a network is upfront and makes the cancellation swift and easy then it's a shitty network. It never works for the fans (which is understandable, but at least Netflix didn't beat around the bush like networks usually do and IMHO this was way more respectful towards fans). They don't have to apologize. It wasn't the fans who financed the show, it was Netflix and if they can't keep it up that sucks, but it's their decision. Unless fans can come up with ridiculous $9m per episode (Wachowski girls really need to learn how to budget their shit as they always end up having too expensive products, The Matrix being the only reasonable budget in their entire career).

It's neither the best nor the worst show that ended up canceled without a resolution. I would definitely wish they made a movie, or a very short third season to sum it all up, but if it can't happen well at least they went out with a good season than the crappy shitty over the top season one.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:35 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

Shack wrote:
Overall this seems like a moment when TV media/critics (who are increasingly clickbait and hype driven) start to turn on Netflix. They cancelled two of their most African American or LGBT shows, John Landgraf of FX who is a golden boy right now gave an interview where he shit on them repeatedly, and House of Cards and OITNB metacritics plummeted.

As Netflix doesn't give out ratings, ratings are purely speculation and really can't be commented on be anyone. OITNB leaked before it officially premiered which might've harmed its ratings (if that happened). And I hear House of Cards has been shit. I never watched the show, but I did watch a couple of episodes last week with my bf. I was bored as fuck. He said the last season was bad and he wasn't enjoying this one much either. So if those shows have lower ratings, maybe it's because of other factors, not necessarily Netflix backlash?

But Netflix had to start cutting back at one point or another. It seemed to me like they were premiering shows left and right. And not some random cheap dramas or comedies. So it makes sense that if something has to give first it's going to be a show that costs $100m per season. You can make about 10 seasons of good dramas or comedies for that.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:41 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

I was talking about their reviews not ratings

Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:49 pm
The Wall

MB. I'm a bit tired and didn't read properly.

Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:55 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

OH MY GOD

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... ix-1017948

I'M SO FUCKING HAPPY.

Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:48 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

I almost cried when I read the announcement today :P

This is easily the show I'm most invested in that's on the air at the moment and the finale had so many crazy cliffhangers that need to be resolved. I'm glad they're at least giving fans a chance to see the story play out.

Thu Jun 29, 2017 5:36 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

Looks like all the bitching and petitions, etc. worked. Yay.

Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:04 pm
Killing With Kindness

yay!

Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:09 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

The finale premieres Friday and clocks in at 150 minutes.

I can't wait!

Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:25 pm
Profile YIM
100% That Bitch

The finale is basically the most sense8 thing ever I loveeeeeeeeeeed it

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3