Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 2260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 91  Next
 The Trump Era: The Awkward Mix of Libertarianism and Fascism 
Superfreak

Post Re: The Trump Era: The Awkward Mix of Libertarianism and Fas
zwackerm wrote:
Libs wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
I'm referring to Bush 88, Reagan 84 and 80, and Nixon 68 and 72 opposed to Carter 76.

Sure. The Republican party of the 70s and 80s is MUCH different than the party as it is now, though. Hell, I might've been a Republican in the 80s.

I understand that Southern whites became Republican and black people became Democrat in the 1960's, but what else changed between the Reagan era and now?

Here is the deal. Sheer fact.

By the old school,standard definition, most of the country are republicans. We want government to have an active but limited role in our lives, are big on individual rights, and view the UnitednStates as a country with sacred values based around the idea that one should be judged on character and behavior, not background or place of origin. You get what you work for, generally. Republicans were realist, pragmatic, and practical. They were pro progress. They generally supported common sense government, common sense economics, common sense civil rights and liberties. Abraham Lincoln was a Republican. Martin Luther King Jr too. Teddy Roosevelt would be INSANELY popular today.

Since the sixties, Republicans changed. They became more about "conservatism" socially, and as Democrats success grew in the 90s, the party swung even further that direction. Rick Santorum and Mike Huckabee are major political figures. Mike Pence is our Vice President. Nowadays, they view Reagan as a god and don't seem to notice the endless contradictions. Ronald Reagan had one VERY successful year in office, 33 years ago. 1984. It wasn't sustained. Older Bush was a decent man but not overly effective President. The productivity under Clinton and Obama just obliterates that of Bush 1, Bush 2, Reagan, etc.

Modern Republican political positions are way off from the founding principles of the party. Lincoln, Roosevelt, MLK, even Nixon would have be Democrats by today's standards, no question. The Democrats are far more realistic and mainstream. The people who truly supported Donald Trump are, truthfully, fucking morons. Many of them voted against their self interests and were too idiotic to understand. His disaster of a presidency ha s been beyond predictable.

I firmly believe that many people who vote or identify as Liberal would identify as a republican according to the classic definitions, they are just too smart to do so according to the modern definition which goes against most sense of logic decency and country.

I do like how Trump destroyed political correctness, though.

Now I feel no shame in noting

1) the dumbest, least educated, least financially successful states vote republican
2) the smartest, most educated, most successful states always vote democrat
3) the connection is clear as day to all except the idiots from category 1 (if you're offended reading this, this is likely you)

"I believe it, therefore it is true"-Typical GOPer and Trump supporter,

Sat May 20, 2017 5:04 am

The GOP appeals more heavily to single issue voters, such as abortions or taxes.

Sat May 20, 2017 9:56 am
Hold the door!

Excel wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
Libs wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
I'm referring to Bush 88, Reagan 84 and 80, and Nixon 68 and 72 opposed to Carter 76.

Sure. The Republican party of the 70s and 80s is MUCH different than the party as it is now, though. Hell, I might've been a Republican in the 80s.

I understand that Southern whites became Republican and black people became Democrat in the 1960's, but what else changed between the Reagan era and now?

Here is the deal. Sheer fact.

By the old school,standard definition, most of the country are republicans. We want government to have an active but limited role in our lives, are big on individual rights, and view the UnitednStates as a country with sacred values based around the idea that one should be judged on character and behavior, not background or place of origin. You get what you work for, generally. Republicans were realist, pragmatic, and practical. They were pro progress. They generally supported common sense government, common sense economics, common sense civil rights and liberties. Abraham Lincoln was a Republican. Martin Luther King Jr too. Teddy Roosevelt would be INSANELY popular today.

Since the sixties, Republicans changed. They became more about "conservatism" socially, and as Democrats success grew in the 90s, the party swung even further that direction. Rick Santorum and Mike Huckabee are major political figures. Mike Pence is our Vice President. Nowadays, they view Reagan as a god and don't seem to notice the endless contradictions. Ronald Reagan had one VERY successful year in office, 33 years ago. 1984. It wasn't sustained. Older Bush was a decent man but not overly effective President. The productivity under Clinton and Obama just obliterates that of Bush 1, Bush 2, Reagan, etc.

Modern Republican political positions are way off from the founding principles of the party. Lincoln, Roosevelt, MLK, even Nixon would have be Democrats by today's standards, no question. The Democrats are far more realistic and mainstream. The people who truly supported Donald Trump are, truthfully, fucking morons. Many of them voted against their self interests and were too idiotic to understand. His disaster of a presidency ha s been beyond predictable.

I firmly believe that many people who vote or identify as Liberal would identify as a republican according to the classic definitions, they are just too smart to do so according to the modern definition which goes against most sense of logic decency and country.

I do like how Trump destroyed political correctness, though.

Now I feel no shame in noting

1) the dumbest, least educated, least financially successful states vote republican
2) the smartest, most educated, most successful states always vote democrat
3) the connection is clear as day to all except the idiots from category 1 (if you're offended reading this, this is likely you)

"I believe it, therefore it is true"-Typical GOPer and Trump supporter,

Don't worry, I'm not offended reading that.

It really seems to me that cities and surrounding areas vote Democrat and everyone else votes Republican.

It seems to me that the Republicans have good ideas (besides opposition by to gay marriage and LGBT rights by some) but they've been unlucky to have a moron like Bush and a guy with a divisive persona like Trump score the party nomination for the last few election cycles.

Sat May 20, 2017 10:10 am
A very honest-hearted fellow

Libs wrote:

Spoiler: show
You would have been against Reagan and said he was incompetent and a corrupt idiot. You would have opposed Anthony Kennedy (and Bork and Ginsburg) and his policies against the Soviets.

But I do agree, the GOP has changed into some sort of populist pro-Soviet bunch of bootlickers and the Democrats are corporatists.

Sat May 20, 2017 10:16 am
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

Darth Indiana Bond wrote:
The GOP appeals more heavily to single issue voters, such as abortions or taxes.

Yes and what about pro-abortionists and those in favor of tax increases for the wealthy? There is an opposite constituency of single issue voters in the Democratic Party on the same axis.

Sat May 20, 2017 10:21 am
Profile WWW
Superfreak

zwackerm wrote:
It really seems to me that cities and surrounding areas vote Democrat and everyone else votes Republican.[\quote]

Cities are where much of the money and educated are. Blue collar workers in the rust belt who thought that Trump would bring manufacturing jobs back in industries where that has become obsolete were morons. Many of the folks in rural America contribute little to progress or innovation, they're simple workers who accomplish things that other innovators tell them to do.

Quote:
It seems to me that the Republicans have good ideas (besides opposition by to gay marriage and LGBT rights by some) but they've been unlucky to have a moron like Bush and a guy with a divisive persona like Trump score the party nomination for the last few election cycles.

Older Bush is a very decent and bright person. He still among the most accomplished people to ever become president. If the US were a company and all Past presidents were applicants, Bush 1 would be a top tier candidate. W is also a decent person but he was too submissive in his early days to Cheney and co. The final years of his administration were largely an admission of failure and abandonment of conservative principles.

Dems are not right on everything. But Republicans have very few novel, good ideas.

We need to think in terms of NET GAIN versus NET LOSS. They hate Obamacare purely for political reasons. Everybody knows that all of OCs most popular components, which were largely kept under Trumpcare, would NEVER have flown in the eyes of Republicans 10 years ago. There would be no preexisting condition coverage because "government should stay out of business", etc. I don't give a F if a rich racist insane loser like Trump tries to steal credit from Obama, and tbh I doubt Obama does either because it was about helping people, not getting credit, for Obama. But in the eyes of many, Obama will be gave the catalyst of massive improvements in US healthcare services and justly so.

Paul Ryan, early on, seemed impressive. Millennials were no lube anally fucked but both parties in 2008/2009.

Selfish, entitled, lazy, and narrow minded baby boomers have largely run the country into the ground. They lived well beyond their means, didn't save enough, elected incompetent politicians, etc. They sold away American jobs, made a college degree much more expensive acquire but worth much less money in the real world, etc. And but not least, their parting gift was helping elect the epitome of their selfish, entitled, stupid selves to the presidency in Trump.

Baby boomers started freaking out when it became clear that their retirement fund in SOcial security wouldn't be what they expected it to be. So, without any millennial representives in congress obviously, they passed the massive spending bills which essentially put the baby boomers retirement income on the credit cards of millennials, only to be paid off long after the beneficiary baby boomers have passed.

To date, Paul Ryan is the only one that I know of who has stood up and essentially said to them "You screwed yourselves, we aren't bailing you out with money that should go to the younger people of this country who had nothing to do with your mistakes other than suffering largely from them". Of course, he was quickly drowned out by othr GOPers and personally offset this with a slew of moronic ideas afterwards.

I have a lot of faith in the 18-35 crowd of Americans today than the same group 20 or especially 40 years ago.

Maturing with the internet, 9/11, and financial meltdown all in the same time has generally made millennials far more mature and intelligent than previous generations. Unlike baby boomers and the world they left millennials,forward thinking millennials seem looked to leave a much, much better place for their own children.

Sat May 20, 2017 11:17 am

It's hard to be objective on Baby Boomers because any analysis will be taken as purely subjective. Baby boomers think highly of themselves

Sat May 20, 2017 12:18 pm
Hold the door!

I don't like making generalizations about generations because most baby boomers and millenials are perfectly wonderful people.

And it seems Paul Ryan is pussying out as of late.

Sat May 20, 2017 1:08 pm
Cream of the Crop

Sat May 20, 2017 8:52 pm
Profile ICQ
The Original

Again .... stoned or on meds as shit!

Sun May 21, 2017 6:36 am
Devil's Advocate

:funny:

Mon May 22, 2017 12:32 pm
Romosexual!

Shack wrote:

:funny:

:hahaha: :funny: Jesus Christ

Mon May 22, 2017 12:57 pm
The Original

uhmm...wrong thread?

Great video though!

Mon May 22, 2017 1:29 pm
Keeping it Light

Wed May 24, 2017 12:49 am
now we know

Couples have arguments, especially during travel and high-stress times. But because it is Trump and people want bad things to happen to him, they blow small gestures out of proportion.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed May 24, 2017 12:58 am
Profile WWW
Superfreak

zwackerm wrote:
I don't like making generalizations about generations because most baby boomers and millenials are perfectly wonderful people.

It's not generalizing. They vote in a way totally against anybodies self interest except their own

Wed May 24, 2017 1:54 am
now we know

Excel wrote:
It's not generalizing. They vote in a way totally against anybodies self interest except their own

Yes, because they were raised to think of themselves as the most important people on the planet.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Wed May 24, 2017 2:31 am
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Excel wrote:
zwackerm wrote:

Yeah, baby boomers are the only ones! :funny: :funny: :funny:

Wed May 24, 2017 9:45 am
The Original

stuffp wrote:

Looks like Melania is wearing the pants in the relationship?

That poor old drugged up man is abused by a feminist gold digger!

Thu May 25, 2017 6:56 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Trump's NATO speech today was embarrassing. All the other World Leaders were just snickering at him. Holy lord.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu May 25, 2017 11:14 am
Romosexual!

Chippy wrote:
Trump's NATO speech today was embarrassing. All the other World Leaders were just snickering at him. Holy lord.

What he say?

Thu May 25, 2017 11:17 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

1:18 is the most embarrassing part...

And then he thinks he's this "alpha male"...

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu May 25, 2017 11:22 am
The Original

the second video
:ninja:

Thu May 25, 2017 12:19 pm
The Original

youtube has it in real time

Thu May 25, 2017 12:22 pm
Devil's Advocate

Oh he would do that :lol:

Thu May 25, 2017 12:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2260 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 91  Next