Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 March 24-26 Predictions 

Will Power Rangers open to 50m+?
Yes 44%  44%  [ 7 ]
No 56%  56%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 16

March 24-26 Predictions 
Angels & Demons

Post Re: March 24-26 Predictions
Power Rangers 55m/115m.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:10 pm
Pure Phase

Power Rangers is just missing a certain blood-in-the-water, x-factor type of element. Right before Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles came out, one could sense it was connecting: with today's children and with nostalgic young adults. This electricity doesn't seem present for this.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:21 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I don't remember seeing TMNT being huge till it actually opened. PR has great amount of YT views to support its opening. I am more interested in the opening of Life, the adult audience have great options as of now but this would attract older audience than the ones that are currently being served.

Chips is surely going to bomb and I can see it going as low as $10m total.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:27 pm
---------

They shouldn't have ever shown the giant suits and giant battles in the Power Rangers trailers. The first trailer seemed pretty well-received (and it lacked those elements), now every promo I see just reminds me of Transformers.

Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:29 pm
Extraordinary

Power Rangers reviews are coming out, actually a couple of positives.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:28 am
Star Trek XI

Power Rangers - 34M
Life - 22M
CHiPs - 9M

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:20 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

It does look like PR won't be an absolute disaster critically which will help. Also bigger movies help exposure for smaller movies so BatB might help PR's OW if it's trailer was attached to enough showings of the former. I see it doing $45m OW with a chance of $50m opening still.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:13 am
Hold the door!

Jack Sparrow wrote:
It does look like PR won't be an absolute disaster critically which will help. Also bigger movies help exposure for smaller movies so BatB might help PR's OW if it's trailer was attached to enough showings of the former. I see it doing $45m OW with a chance of $50m opening still.

This.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:19 am
Forum General

Chips seems like an adaptation nobody asked for. Still, it should modestly benefit from the lack of R-rated comedy fare in the market.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:35 am
Star Trek XI

Rolling Thunder wrote:
Chips seems like an adaptation nobody asked for. Still, it should modestly benefit from the lack of R-rated comedy fare in the market.

People said the same thing about Fist Fight regarding a lack of R-rated comedy fare in the market.

Thing is no one really *asks* for any of these. Like Jump Street. What matters is their capacity to surprise. Like Jump Street. Baywatch seems to have that (at least according to some very very anecdotal early word). CHiPs does not.

Last edited by Jay Beezy on Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:38 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Algren wrote:
Chippy wrote:
It's just odd seeing all the trends pointing towards something, and you consistently going against it just because of how you feel.

Funny how I'm leading MGKC's game, huh? ;)

Blind squirrel, nut.

BKB got predictions right, too.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:45 am
Forum General

Life has some solid reviews but the trailer looks so generic and boring to me. The voiceover on the TV commercial trying to get me amped for it is an epic fail. I think David makes some very valid points about the genre identity issue.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:03 am
Extraordinary

Huh, so looks like
Spoiler: show
one of the Power Rangers is gay!? Interesting... wonder if this will be as "controversial" as BatB

Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:25 pm
Hold the door!

publicenemy#1 wrote:
Huh, so looks like
Spoiler: show
one of the Power Rangers is gay!? Interesting... wonder if this will be as "controversial" as BatB

I don't think so. Beauty and the Beast was marketed as a family movie. While I'm sure kids will see this, it's been marketed as a more traditional action blockbuster.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:04 pm
Star Trek XI

Algren wrote:
Magic Mike wrote:
Algren wrote:
Chips $18m
Life $16m
Power Rangers $13.5m

:huh: :huh: :huh:

Shit. Did I make a mistake again? Was I supposed to follow the ranking that the opening poster stated? Oh, dang. When will I get the hang of this message board thing?!

Well, just enlighten us as to why you think CHiPs will open to 18M and Power Rangers to only 13.5M?

Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:48 pm
Forum General

Power Rangers is on MT. Good sign.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:11 pm
Hold the door!

Rolling Thunder wrote:
Power Rangers is on MT. Good sign.

That's amazing. Kong didn't appear till Wednesday with much less competition.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:53 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

$60+ mil OW COMING!

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:55 pm
Forum General

Bogo is having a buy one ticket get one free special for Power Rangers, so that definitely has to be skewing pre-sales right now. It appearing this early should still be a good sign though, but I don't see it as a good comparison to Kong since that was more of walkup film anyways and skewed much older audience wise.

Also, Kong showed up Monday night not Wednesday.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:50 pm
now we know

Jay Beezy wrote:
Algren wrote:
Magic Mike wrote:
Algren wrote:
Chips $18m
Life $16m
Power Rangers $13.5m

Shit. Did I make a mistake again? Was I supposed to follow the ranking that the opening poster stated? Oh, dang. When will I get the hang of this message board thing?!

Well, just enlighten us as to why you think CHiPs will open to 18M and Power Rangers to only 13.5M?

R-rated Get Hard opened in this slot two years ago to $33m. I believe CHiPs can do a little over half of that. And nobody asked for Power Rangers. With Beast and others ruling at the box office, I feel there is no place for another effects heavy film, and reviews/trailers are not good. I feel it will be another Kick-Ass; lots of online buzz but unimpressive footfall at the ticket booth.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:34 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

Algren wrote:
Jay Beezy wrote:
Algren wrote:
Magic Mike wrote:
Algren wrote:
Chips $18m
Life $16m
Power Rangers $13.5m

R-rated Get Hard opened in this slot two years ago to $33m. I believe CHiPs can do a little over half of that. And nobody asked for Power Rangers. With Beast and others ruling at the box office, I feel there is no place for another effects heavy film, and reviews/trailers are not good. I feel it will be another Kick-Ass; lots of online buzz but unimpressive footfall at the ticket booth.

CHiPs can do a little over half that just for those reasons? Get Hard had two box office friendly stars if not box office behomeths. CHiPs has zero. Not to mention worse trailers and likely to get worse reviews. And if Fist Fight could only muster 12M being the only R-rated comedy in the marketplace at that time, I don't see how CHiPs fares better.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:40 pm
now we know

Jay Beezy wrote:
Algren wrote:

CHiPs can do a little over half that just for those reasons? Get Hard had two box office friendly stars if not box office behomeths. CHiPs has zero. Not to mention worse trailers and likely to get worse reviews. And if Fist Fight could only muster 12M being the only R-rated comedy in the marketplace at that time, I don't see how CHiPs fares better.

You don't. But I do. ;)

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:54 pm
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

Algren wrote:
Jay Beezy wrote:
Algren wrote:

You don't. But I do. ;)

Because you live in an alternate universe. ;)

Also, theater counts for CHiPs are currently looking to be weaker than Get Hard and I don't mean by a just couple hundred. It has the lowest theater count of all the wide releases this weekend by a substantial enough margin so far.

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:14 pm
now we know

Jay Beezy wrote:
Because you live in an alternate universe. ;)

And you live in a universe where you know the future. I never get why people on here are SO adamant that their predictions are right. Guys, it's a prediction. Nobody can predict the future. I've given my predictions and thoughts. You disagree. Ok. Move on.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:18 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Power Rangers is at 50% on RT right now with 14 reviews. It could go either way but I was expecting much worse.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next