Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69  Next
 The Dark Knight 

What grade would you give this film?
A 82%  82%  [ 138 ]
B 11%  11%  [ 19 ]
C 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
D 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 168

The Dark Knight 
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: The Dark Knight
But spongebob was good!

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:33 pm
Hold the door!

I gave them like the same grade. This is a great movie I do enjoy, I'm just not as into it as everyone else.

Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:39 pm
Superfreak

its astounding how this movie never gets old and loses awesomeness, even with its absurd plot points.

Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:41 am
Ocarina of Time

Excel wrote:
its astounding how this movie never gets old and loses awesomeness, even with its absurd plot points.

:ban:

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:50 am
Superfreak

My original review, circa 2008. Ah, I love KJ.

Excel wrote:
Im no good at writing reviews, so I am going to type out my reactions as the movie played out :)

-Some pretty shitty delivery of the lines by the guys except the last guy to live. His lines "Funny, he told something similar" and "when did you learn to count" were quite good.
-Kill everybody, steal the buss, the Joker is a BOSS! You will hear this more than once!
-:funny: @ the list of Batman suspects
-This crew of fake Batmans...I like em. Though Scarecrow is dangerous. Oh heres the tumbler!
-"Loiter" :grrr: "Intimidate" :D
-Damn, Batman bloody! Wtf with his suit? Quick, before he gets away! *Batman crushes vehcile* nevermind...
-Hmmm....so Batman and Gordon are working together :er:
-"I make my own luck"...thats the best you could come up with?
-Dents the fucking man. Pucnhing out the clown and he aint even finished! And geez Gyllenhaal, we get it: you want him :thumbsup:
- :funny: :funny: Bruce asleep! And whose the "this is embarassing" clown?
-Ah, Lau is ahead of the game. Ok, getting bored, WHERE IS HE?
-JOKER! Love the extended laugh :funny: LOVE the Magic trick :funny: "Tuh dah, dissappeared!"
-"Mr. tv" "You think you can steal fomr us and walk outta here" - "yeah" :funny:
-Wait what, we're going to hong kong?
-Joker is a BOSS! Shows up pretending to be dead? Jesus Ledger, now your getting intense, "WHY SO SERIOUS?!" "LETS PUT A SMILE ON THAT FACE!" :noway:
-Ok, that hong kong stuff was a ight.
-oh shit they all getting arrested! Oh and bruce throwing dent a fundraiser!
-Ok, this is getting creepy..that video is creepy. That guy seemed way too real..and JESUS CHRIST!

"LOOK AT ME!"

Ledgers got the voice of a fucking monster! :noway:

-Cool party..oh shit the Judges dead! LEOB TOO! WATCH OUT HARVEY!!!
-More goodies "I HATED my father"..."Than your gonna love me!" My god did they nail the writing in this movie!
-ok, 2 things. HOW THE HELL DID THEY SURVIVE THAT FALL? AND HOW DID JOKER GET AWAY?
-Oh shit, watch out mayor! Bruce on a motorcycle :thumbsup:
-WTF! GORDON! NO :tears:
-Geez, Dent is getting PISSED! OMG! RACHELS NEXT!
-Ok, WHAT? Dent is Batman?? Whose bright idea was that, Harvey?
-Love the chase. Joker is BOSS! "I wanna drive!"
-This is getting realllly intense..."HIT ME!"
-YES! GORDON IS BACK and "got you you sunavbitch!" BOSSERY AT ITS FINEST! :2thumbsup:
-Wait...Dent never made it back?
-"to getTHEM!" Oh bih you fuckin askin for it Joker!
-" yourself at HER!" huh! Rachel-OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH SHIT!!
-Batman is PISSED oh bih! :D :D
-At this point, the film is fucking OWNING! Bale and Ledger are fucking nailing their roles, and Gordon, Eckhart, Caine, and Gyllenhaal are adding perfect contributions to makwe the main characters motive seem legit.
-Ok, I dont wanna watch this. I actually care about both of them now. Dent get the fuck outta that tape!
-no, dont fucking fall over! Damnitt Harvey get up. Rachel I dont like the sound of crying girl stop it for real I didnt expect to get this emotional :tears:
-Wait...wtf is Harvey doing here? OH FUCKKKKKKK; Joker you bitch!
-Wait! NO! Wow. That was the most powerful death scene ever and I am not playing. She just HAD to tell Harvey shed marry him to. Damn. Ok I dont like the Joker anymore. the "Its ok, ok" and seeing her face light up. :disgust: :disgust:
-Damn, is there a dry in the theater during that letter. I was unprepared for this shit man :tears:
-Damn Bruce, I feel for you. That SUCKS. Alfred made the right call.
-Ok, what is this CLOWN doing on tv-OH SHIT! Joker is back!
-Ok, that lamborghini joke was never funny and is way too overplayed.
-Ok, I dont want to like the Joker, but he is just such a BOSS! You think its a nurse but he fucking shoots the cops...priceless.
-".....Hiiiiiii" :funny: :funny:
-Jesus ledger, your a fucking nut and I love it! I hate the Joker but love watching him! Your owning it!
-Boss
- :funny: Gotta get that soap to clean your hands!
- :funny: Joker walking out. Whoa. that was a huge explosion!
-Ok, dents back...wtf kinda car crash that?
-Geez, huge traffic jam!
-for real, HOW IS JOKER GETTING BOMBS EVERYWHERE? W/e :yes:
-Ok, this batsonar shit is lame
-Jesus Bale, just ignore Gordon and fly in!
-Ramirez you fuckin bitch I have had enough of your lame character. Dent just fuckin shoot her.
-Wtf is going on? The guys with guns are hostages?? Just where is the joker!
-DEBOE! THE HERO!
-Here we go, Bats vs. Joker, just like its supposed to be :D
-"No, But I know how your gonna get these!" ok, a major step down from "Im not going to kill you...but I dont have to save you"-Like the Joker speech, cant help but :tears: at the "we're destined to do this forever" line.
-damn Joker, what a BOSS! Just chilling, upside...
-damn btw, all the speciall fx are ridic. Oscars for sure!
-Bale, chill with the voice. Its getting old.
-God damnitt, I have had enough! I cant take it anymore! Now Dents got Gordons family?
-Ok for real he's just a kid and Dents fucking freaking while Oldmans nailing his delivery :thumbsup:
-ok bats here...wtf now hes shot! And nopw hes tackled him off! Few, my heart can stop pounding.
-Did Batman just kill somebody?
-Ight, tight speech.
-Even TIGHTER film :shades:

Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:30 am
Superfreak

Brian wrote:
Excel wrote:

:ban:

I mean, how the hell does Joker get bombs all over the hospital with nobody noticing? How does he get bombs all over the only functioning boats with nobody noticing yet again?

I mean...

Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:33 am
now we know

Presumably he's got henchmen.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:00 am
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Reality this film is a once a decade type of brilliance. An all-at-once instant timeless iconic classic in an era with very few of them.

It's been 8 years...and I still see and hear WHY SO SERIOUS and THE ____ WE DESERVE, BUT NOT THE ____ WE NEED RIGHT NOW quoted weekly.

Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:12 pm

It doesn't count if your the one quoting it :thumbsup:

I stand by least of the trilogy, but still a very good film. All are playing second to Returns though.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:18 pm
Superfreak

this was better. i still remember reading it.

Magnus wrote:
My really in-depth review of TDK:

Why was film created? Is it meant to entertain? Is it meant to educate? Is it meant to move us? All answers are correct. Films can be entertaining, educational, or emotional. The majority of films strive to just fulfill one of these criteria. A lot of them fail, but a good amount are able to succeed in one area. Some films are able to manage to succeed in two areas. And then of course, there is that select few films that manage to do all three. The classics. This small fraternity of films have a new entry...The Dark Knight. And the classics should watch out, because The Dark Knight not only manages to succeed in all three areas, but does it with flying colors.

Entertainment level: The Dark Knight isn't as entertaining as Batman Begins was, IMO. A lot of it has to deal with the fact that its story is too dark and depressing that it can't reach BB level. However, despite this, the film is damn entertaining and is one of the most entertaining blockbusters of the decade. The majority of the entertainment come from the action sequences, Joker's morbid humor, and the occasional wit and adult humor provided by Bruce, Alfred, and Lucius.

The action-sequences are just simply a feast for the eyes. The score in the background added to the epic scope of the scenes, pulling the viewers even closer to the action. The editing is perfect, fast-paced yet still slow enough that the viewer can comprehend what is going on. A lot is going on at the same time, yet the viewer is able to see all parts and appreciate everything happening. Nolan managed to take the style of old-school action flicks and apply it to a modern day, mega-budget blockbuster. And the outcome is marvelous.

There is a line between whether something is funny or just plain wrong. Ledger's Joker is able to walk this fine line, making the viewer laugh with him yet still be scared at the same time. The pencil magic trick is an instant classic moment that can be compared to the Al Capone baseball bat scene in Untouchables. You laugh yet cringe at the same time.

And of course, there is the subtle, witty humor from BB that still has a presence in TDK, not not as much as it did before. Nolan doesn't use this humor that much in TDK, but when he does use it, it works and provides that quick laugh needed to either keep the viewer entertained or lighten them up from the rest of the darkness of the film.

Overall, the film balances action and comedy very well and never gives too much or too less of each. It isn't the most entertaining blockbuster, but I would find it hard for someone not to be entertained by it because it has high entertainment value.

Educational level: The Dark Knight...an educational film? Yes. The story of TDK is something out of a comic-book, but that doesn't mean it isn't very informative. The plot deals with very powerful themes of trust, corruption, escalation, and shockingly, hope.

Trust is a major theme of the film from the start to the end. Bruce finds himself not trusting almost anyone, keeping a secret eye on everyone. Rachel can't trust Bruces promise to quit, thus pushing herself away from him. The boat scene is a classic scene I feel that highlights the issues of trust, as the citizens in each boat cannot trust each other.

Of course, the real evolution of trust is seen with Harvey Dent. From the start, Dent already is suspicious of a few things and as events escalate around him, his trust in others start to wither. By the time he becomes Two-Face, he has lost the meaning of trust and places everything in the hands of a coin-toss, the only thing that he can trust.

The biggest reason for the lack of trust in the film is due to the amount of corruption. Batman Begins dealt with corruption, however it showed that it only pertained to the "bad" guys. The Dark Knight goes one step further, showing how even the "good" guys are corrupt. Jim Gordon, the honest cop, in the end has some corruption laid on him. Bruce Wayne himself becomes corrupt a bit when he builds the sonar-system, giving him a power that he should not have. And of course, we go back to Dent, the uncorruptable man who becomes the most corrupt. The corruption in TDK sheds light on the fact that this world is not black and white, and that the "good" can still be "bad."

Batman Begins ended on a note of escalation, and The Dark Knight picks off from there and runs with it. Gotham is in total chaos throughout the film. Things don't get easy; they get worse. That is of course...until there is a symbol of hope.

In the end, what makes TDK such a informative film of our society is that it builds these dark, depressing themes of mistrust, corruption, and escalation throughout the film...and yet the end moral of the story is hope. The citizens decisions at the boat give hope that the common man is good and cares about life. Batman's decision in the end gives us all hope that there are those out there, those absolute heroes, that will fight against all that is wrong in this world.

The overall moral of the story I feel is remisicent of the ending of Se7en, in which Morgan Freeman charecter states that the "world is a fine place and worth fighting for. I agree with the second part." TDK shows that this world is NOT a beautiful place. There is little to trust, there is corruption, and there is chaos. But it is worth fighting for, and there are people who fill fight for it.

Emotional level: This is the level that propels The Dark Knight from just a classic to one of the greatest films ever. Batman Begins I felt was both entertaining and educational, and while it had emotion to it, it wasn't deep enough. The Dark Knight makes up for this, by going deeper than any summer blockbuster this decade and maybe the deepest summer blockbuster ever. The film is able to add this emotional depth through its visuals, music, and most importantly, acting.

Visually the film is stunning. The ciematography takes the brilliance from the first one and adds onto it. The shots are so brilliant that I felt as if I was inside Gotham City experiencing the events. The music helped added that dramatic tone that pulled me in further.

In the end though, the reason why this works on a emotional level so well is the acting. All the actors (minus Maggie who while better than Katie could have been better. Though she did her best at her very last scene, which was the most important) are at the top of their game. Some may think Ledger overshadows them all but he doesn't. Everyone is acting brilliantly, vanishing into their charecters. You are able to connect and understand everything that the charecters go through in the film. You feel Dent's pain and Bruce's frustration. You go inside the mind of the Joker and see what pure chaos is like. You don't see anything but the charecters on film. There are no actors.

Final thoughts:

The Dark Knight is a masterpiece because of its ability to work so well on all levels. Like the actors on screen, the film itself vanishes from genre rules completely and all I can see is a film. I see no genre in this. It's not a comic-book movie nor a crime-epic. It is just simply a film. No genre can do justice to its greatness.

Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:20 pm
Superfreak

MovieGeek wrote:
God this movie just makes me hate spiderman 3 even more. That movie was pure trash and this was pure gold.

act. this is the bet original review.

Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:24 pm
Hold the door!

I think the reason I don't love this movie is because I just find Batman not very interesting. Or superhero movies in general really.

Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:43 pm

I have a feeling you like Incredibles.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:41 pm
Hold the door!

Thegun wrote:

It's miles more original plot wise than the Dark Knight. The Dark Knight is about as good as a "Bat man fights the Joker and then Two Face" movie can be.

Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:09 pm

zwackerm wrote:
Thegun wrote:

It's miles more original plot wise than the Dark Knight. The Dark Knight is about as good as a "Bat man fights the Joker and then Two Face" movie can be.

You don't realize that the incredibles is the most unoriginal film from Pixar. It's Fantastic Four. But executed perfectly.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:37 pm
Hold the door!

Thegun wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
Thegun wrote:

You don't realize that the incredibles is the most unoriginal film from Pixar. It's Fantastic Four. But executed perfectly.

Still miles more original plotwise than the Dark Knight. The Dark Knight has a great screenplay, acting, and action, however.

Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:21 pm
Ocarina of Time

zwackerm wrote:
Thegun wrote:

Shut up

Both The Incredibles and The Dark Knight are perfect films

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:34 pm
Superfreak

Brian wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
Thegun wrote:

Shut up

Both The Incredibles and The Dark Knight are perfect films

QFT :thumbsup:

Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:11 pm
why so serious?

Pray tell how exactly The Dark Knight is "unoriginal 'plotwise.'"

Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:14 pm
Hold the door!

Webslinger wrote:

Batman is fighting the Joker and then Two-Face. That sums it up entirely. Typical superhero plot.

Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:48 pm

The incredibles fight against Syndrome. Typical superhero plot. And in Memento a cop searches for his wife's killer. How contrived? (When you label it like a tool)

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:47 pm
Hold the door!

Thegun wrote:
The incredibles fight against Syndrome. Typical superhero plot. And in Memento a cop searches for his wife's killer. How contrived? (When you label it like a tool)

Superheroes getting sued because they saved people who "didn't want to be saved"?

Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:31 pm
why so serious?

zwackerm wrote:
Webslinger wrote:

Batman is fighting the Joker and then Two-Face. That sums it up entirely. Typical superhero plot.

Magnus wrote:
"stuff happens" - plot of every movie ever

My man. (To steal your line.)

And zwackerm: if you're including the "superheroes being sued" piece as part of The Incredibles' plot (which, yes, totally informs the direction that the film proceeds in, but isn't significant beyond setting the context and occasional lip service after the first ten minutes), why completely discard Harvey Dent's arc? If you want to talk about originality/unoriginality in the superhero subgenre, it's worth considering that no other superhero film before The Dark Knight spent so much time developing a major character as sympathetic only to go in the opposite direction by the end (and convincingly so). It wasn't a shocking twist in the slightest, but it's definitely a more ambitious and atypical move than simply having him as a stock villain for Batman to fight, as your summary implies.

Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:46 pm
Hold the door!

Webslinger wrote:
zwackerm wrote:
Webslinger wrote:

Magnus wrote:
"stuff happens" - plot of every movie ever

My man. (To steal your line.)

And zwackerm: if you're including the "superheroes being sued" piece as part of The Incredibles' plot (which, yes, totally informs the direction that the film proceeds in, but isn't significant beyond setting the context and occasional lip service after the first ten minutes), why completely discard Harvey Dent's arc? If you want to talk about originality/unoriginality in the superhero subgenre, it's worth considering that no other superhero film before The Dark Knight spent so much time developing a major character as sympathetic only to go in the opposite direction by the end (and convincingly so). It wasn't a shocking twist in the slightest, but it's definitely a more ambitious and atypical move than simply having him as a stock villain for Batman to fight, as your summary implies.

I'm just not a fan of Bat man. I don't know why, I don't like Bat man (1989) at all and I do enjoy this movie. There is probably nothing this movie could have done that would get me to think of it as anything but a well made movie.

Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:49 pm
now we know

OH MY GOD. STILL DEBATING THIS FUCKING FILM.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:58 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1708 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69  Next