Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 17 octobre 
The Original

Post 17 octobre
What will happen?

I say they will raise the debt ceiling but just a little so the entire drama show can start in half a year again.

Though it would be intresting to see what happens if US-Bonds would default.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:17 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Post Re: 17 octobre
I don't care anymore.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:49 am
Forum General

It would be a disaster not for the US economically as I doubt anyone could agree to actually go into default as actually nothing devasting will happen for a few days after.

The damage to the US brand is immense no doubt.

Since the Iraq War, the US has lost the moral authority to lecture others and now is losing any sense of being a stable country.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

the stock market would drop 700-1000 points if we default and we would definitely go into a recession. I don't think it will happen. I think wiser heads will prevail with it.

Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:02 pm
Profile WWW
The Original

The clock is still ticking?

Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:15 pm
The Original

Why does it always have to be so close?
U know. The rest of the world does think that that deadline show is only half as funny.

Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:44 pm
Extraordinary

It will pass the senate, it is really down to Boener. He could put the bill on the floor and it will pass the house, but he could lose his speakership (not sure who would want it). We shall see what happens over the next 4 hours.

Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:18 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

The Senate has made a deal today. This whole mess will probably be over tonight and the government will probably reopen on Friday.

Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:53 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I must say the US govt is really broken.

I just heard the details about how Obamacare was created with no mechanism to validate people's income who apply for it?

So pretty much one side wants to get rid of it as they think its Communism and one side wants to make a system that pretty much is certain to fail?

:funny:

Why can't the moderates be in charge!

Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:20 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Moderates don't exist.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:46 pm
Forum General

They have existed all through the Reagan and Clinton years.

Opposing parties got a lot done.

Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:14 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

That was 13+ years ago.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:43 am
Forum General

Here's something that makes no sense to me. At the last minute they come up with this short term fix to get us through the year. They put it to a vote and 18 in the Senate and 144 in the House vote against it. Essentially, these people were voting FOR the country to go into default on it's bills and go back into a deep recession. WTF?

All 144 people who voted against it in the House were Republican.

I mean, even if this short term fix isn't ideal, you don't vote against it and jeopardize our fragile economy even more.

Last edited by SolC9 on Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:33 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

SHOCKING

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:34 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

SolC9 wrote:
Here's something that makes no sense to me. At the last minute they come up with this short term fix to get us through the year. They put it to a vote and 18 in the Senate and 144 in the House vote against it. Essentially, these people were voting FOR the country to go into default on it's bills and go back into a deep recession. WTF?

I mean, even if this short term fix isn't ideal, you don't vote against it and jeopardize our fragile economy even more.

Anderson Cooper interviewed one of the House members who voted "Nay", I forget his name, and he essentially said he did so because he felt voting "Nay" was the right thing to do. When questioned about what his "Nay" vote could have meant for millions of people and the country itself, he just shrugged it off and reiterated that he believed he was doing the right thing by voting "Nay". :bang:

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:09 pm
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

SolC9 wrote:

Those who voted "No" knew the deal was going to pass. They did so to send a message to their voting base who in general supported their cause to defund Obamacare and cut spending.

Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:05 pm
Forum General

i.hope wrote:
SolC9 wrote:

Those who voted "No" knew the deal was going to pass. They did so to send a message to their voting base who in general supported their cause to defund Obamacare and cut spending.

Everyone who voted "nay" is going to probably lose their next election unless they have no competent competition. It'll be really easy for their competition to turn that on them.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:09 pm
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

SolC9 wrote:
i.hope wrote:
SolC9 wrote:

Everyone who voted "nay" is going to probably lose their next election unless they have no competent competition. It'll be really easy for their competition to turn that on them.

No. What i.hope stated is true. Incumbents rarely lose anyway and these guys voted that way to please their base. Besides, I doubt this is much of an issue in Nov. 2014.

Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:16 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

It is only a issue if they go and do it again in January. I still think the Democrats will gain a few seats in the house mostly in the northeast and on the west coast. They will also keep the senate because of this craziness.

Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:26 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]