Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Government shutdown 
Extraordinary

Post Government shutdown
So, unless there is some last minute deal the government will shutdown in the morning. I am not sure what the Republicans are thinking, they will get blamed for this. Every poll shows that. It is worse for someone like me who works for the Park Service, since I will be furloughed tomorrow. I hope it is a short shutdown, and we are back to work by the end of the week.

Last edited by Jedi Master Carr on Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:22 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: Goverment shutdown
Quote:
House Republican leaders won approval, in a vote of 228 to 201, of a new plan to tie further government spending to a one-year delay in a requirement that individuals buy health insurance. The House proposal would deny federal subsidies to members of Congress, Capitol Hill staff, executive branch political appointees, White House staff, and the president and vice president, who would be forced to buy their health coverage on the Affordable Care Act’s new insurance exchanges.

But 57 minutes later, and with almost no debate, the Senate killed the House health care provisions and sent the stopgap spending bill right back, free of policy prescriptions. Earlier in the day, the Senate had taken less than 25 minutes to convene and dispose of a weekend budget proposal by the House Republicans.

“They’ve lost their minds,” Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, the majority leader, said before disposing of the House bill. “They keep trying to do the same thing over and over again.”

:P

I feel bad for anyone who ends up affected by this shutdown that seems inevitable. Neither side is willing to negotiate.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:44 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Corpse wrote:
Quote:
House Republican leaders won approval, in a vote of 228 to 201, of a new plan to tie further government spending to a one-year delay in a requirement that individuals buy health insurance. The House proposal would deny federal subsidies to members of Congress, Capitol Hill staff, executive branch political appointees, White House staff, and the president and vice president, who would be forced to buy their health coverage on the Affordable Care Act’s new insurance exchanges.

But 57 minutes later, and with almost no debate, the Senate killed the House health care provisions and sent the stopgap spending bill right back, free of policy prescriptions. Earlier in the day, the Senate had taken less than 25 minutes to convene and dispose of a weekend budget proposal by the House Republicans.

“They’ve lost their minds,” Senator Harry Reid of Nevada, the majority leader, said before disposing of the House bill. “They keep trying to do the same thing over and over again.”

:P

I feel bad for anyone who ends up affected by this shutdown that seems inevitable. Neither side is willing to negotiate.

Obama's original budget proposal for 2014 FY discretionary spending $1.2 trillion, Paul Ryan's budget proposal $950 trillion.

Current House resolution $968 trillion
Current Senate resolution $985 trillion

I am not a mathmetician, but it it seems like one side has given into almost all the other sides demands. The gov't is shutting down because the Republicans want one last major concession with no compensation.

Negotiation and compromise is not capitulating to all the other sides demands.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:25 am
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

Both houses voted down The President's budget proposal.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:20 am
Profile WWW
Powered By Hate

The whole anti-ACA attacks aren't about ACA itself. It's about stalling reform period.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:23 am
The Original

Jedi Master Carr wrote:
So, unless there is some last minute deal the government will shutdown in the morning. I am not sure what the Republicans are thinking, they will get blamed for this. Every poll shows that. It is worse for someone like me who works for the Park Service, since I will be furloughed tomorrow. I hope it is a short shutdown, and we are back to work by the end of the week.

Does that also mean they dont pay you anymore?

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:44 am
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
FILMO wrote:

No, strangely enough, they will receive double payment. The shutdown is just for shits and giggles.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 5:49 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Look the budget shutdown is pointless.

There is no doubt however Obamacare is deeply flawed piece of legislation and needs to be reformed as well.

I think Republicans do this because 2016 is far away and the reality is the President always loses seats in the mid term in the 2nd term.

So I doubt almost anything will cause the house to switch.

Last edited by Mannyisthebest on Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:19 am
Profile WWW
The Original

Does the US still get the AAA from all those US-Rating-Agencies?
:roll:

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:22 am
Forum General

I think if the debt ceiling debate ends up like 2011 it will be downgraded.

Ted Cruz is just a big troublemaker but unlike Sarah Palin and other Tea Party members. Cruz is a rather smart guy (in comparison) so it makes him quite a threat.

He has pretty much become the defacto leader of the Tea Party.

I imagine he is going to cause a lot of trouble.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:26 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Argos wrote:
FILMO wrote:

No, strangely enough, they will receive double payment. The shutdown is just for shits and giggles.

I get paid for my hours, which I have worked. The problem is for the hours, which I am out of work. They could compensate us like they did 17 years ago, but who knows at this point. And I have to go in for up to 4 hours to help close the place down. I really hope the stock market falls 300 points and that could help show congress how bad idea this was. I do think this will get resolved quickly. I be shocked if it was shut down for more than a week.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:05 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Thing is they went with the cuts at New years (I secretly think those cuts were for the best).

They have now gone with shutting down govt and I think debt ceiling will likely be an ever larger battle.

Point is this this debates hurt the economy and pretty much derail anything Obama wants to acomplish in its 2nd term.

Its crisis to crisis to crisis to crisis since 2011.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:33 am
Profile WWW

Jedi Master Carr wrote:
Argos wrote:
FILMO wrote:

I get paid for my hours, which I have worked. The problem is for the hours, which I am out of work. They could compensate us like they did 17 years ago, but who knows at this point. And I have to go in for up to 4 hours to help close the place down. I really hope the stock market falls 300 points and that could help show congress how bad idea this was. I do think this will get resolved quickly. I be shocked if it was shut down for more than a week.

http://finance.yahoo.com/ It is up 29 as of the date of this posting.

Why would you want the market to collapse? Isn't it kind of sickening that our economy is now fake and tied to how much Government is spending or the amount of money it is pumping into the economy? How many businesses have 800,000 non-essential employees?

What GS level are you?

Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:41 am
Profile WWW

http://measuringworth.com/DJA/

For the 1996 shutdown, from 11/13-11/20, the DOWJIA was up 155.78 points. 11/14 was start and 11/19 was close.

For the 1996-97 shutdown, from 12/13/96-1/6/1997, the DOWJIA was up 295.79 points. 12/16/96 was start and 1/6/1997 was close.

The range was about 6300 to 6600.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:14 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Caius wrote:
Jedi Master Carr wrote:
Argos wrote:
FILMO wrote:

http://finance.yahoo.com/ It is up 29 as of the date of this posting.

Why would you want the market to collapse? Isn't it kind of sickening that our economy is now fake and tied to how much Government is spending or the amount of money it is pumping into the economy? How many businesses have 800,000 non-essential employees?

What GS level are you?

I am GS-5, and I don't think it is a bad thing to have that many non-essential employees. Most of those are the Parks, Museums, and other agencies that wouldn't survive as private non-profits or for profits and are important to our country.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:25 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

The economy today is sort of proped up by 85 billion dollars a month of money being fuelled in to be honest.

If they got rid of it the economy would likely not grow at all.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:29 am
Profile WWW

Jedi Master Carr wrote:
I am GS-5, and I don't think it is a bad thing to have that many non-essential employees. Most of those are the Parks, Museums, and other agencies that wouldn't survive as private non-profits or for profits and are important to our country.

5? I would have guessed 8 or 9 with a degree. Parks Service seems harsh relative to my DoD counterparts who are 10s to 14s.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:43 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Caius wrote:
Jedi Master Carr wrote:

5? I would have guessed 8 or 9 with a degree. Parks Service seems harsh relative to my DoD counterparts who are 10s to 14s.

Yeah it is harsh, and they reward vets for the higher ranks. GS 5 is pretty much starting for Park Service for interpret. Law Enforcement and Fees are different animals.

Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:45 pm
Profile WWW