Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Do the Right Thing 

What grade would you give this film?
A 86%  86%  [ 6 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 7

Do the Right Thing 

Post Do the Right Thing
Do the Right Thing

Quote:
Do the Right Thing is a 1989 American ensemble film produced, written, and directed by Spike Lee. The film deals with issues of racial conflict in the multi-ethnic community of Bedford-Stuyvesant, a neighborhood in Brooklyn, New York, during the hottest day of the summer. Director Lee stars in the film, alongside Danny Aiello, Ossie Davis, Ruby Dee, Richard Edson, Giancarlo Esposito, Bill Nunn, and John Turturro. The film is also notable in that it marks the feature film debuts for Martin Lawrence, Christa Rivers, and Rosie Perez.

The film was a success at the box office, and received numerous accolades and awards. The film has grown in stature over time; in 1999, it was deemed "culturally significant" by the United States Library of Congress and selected for preservation in the National Film Registry, one of five films to do so in its first year of eligibility. In 2007, the American Film Institute listed the film as the ninety-sixth greatest American Movie in Film History.

Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:33 am
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Re: Do the Right Thing
One of the best films of the 80s.

Grade A

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:52 am
On autopilot for the summer

So Overrated, this movie made Spike Lee a household name? The final act is so absurd and all character development is lost in the stupidity. Other than that, its interesting up until Radio and the other guys entrance into the pizza place.

B-

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:33 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

wtf

Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:05 pm
On autopilot for the summer

I'll say it again, it was a very good racial drama that touched on a lot of important issues, even if it was beat over the head with them too much at times, until its retarded final 20 minutes.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:47 pm
Sbil

Marvelous. Spike Lee's best. A

Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:37 pm
loyalfromlondon

Yeah, it's pretty brilliant. I'd argue that the last 20 minutes actually do make it amazing, instead of the other way around. It's the perfect explosive ending to the heated racial tensions that build up and finally boil over.

Even though Lee was dipping into Woody Allen levels of narcissism by casting himself, I'd say he'd earned it.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:21 pm
Cream of the Crop

excellent

Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:03 am
Profile ICQ
Forum General

A movie that really actually points out a key issue.

A lot of people at the end got angry that the Pizza place was burned down but forgot about the black man getting killed by the police.

Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:06 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

My history with Spike Lee films is limited at best, so I finally watched this. Man, what an experience. It's a phenomenal story, start to finish. Racial tensions come to a boiling point on one hot summer day. That's the movie, basically. Sometimes it's difficult to drop a film right in the middle of characters' lives and expect us to get any sense of who they are, but Spike Lee does it pretty flawlessly. You get a good hour or more of getting to know these characters, not by seeing their history but just seeing their day-to-day interactions, and you end up feeling like you know them, at least the main characters.

Spike Lee makes for a perfectly able main character. His acting isn't exceptional, but the role is perfect for him, as he comes across as this center for the whole film that is playing out wildly around him. Strong acting standouts include Giancarlo Esposito, Bill Nunn, John Turturro, Ossie Davis and, of course, Danny Aiello.

Parts of this movie may look dated (it's definitely from the 80s), but the story and the key plot points are very much timeless at this point, unfortunately. It's crazy to see Radio Raheem choked to death by the cop, after seeing something eerily similar happen in real life a few years ago. Even so much as the cops trying to pretend the person isn't dead.

Do the Right Thing does something special. It puts you in a specific environment with specific characters and makes the whole thing feel like the world exists in this one neighborhood in Brooklyn.

Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:30 am
The Kramer

I've mostly always enjoyed Spike Lee's films, but this is the first time I thought one of his movies actually lived up to the hype. A day in the life of a block in New York during the late 80s, Do The Right Thing just feels real on every level. Brilliant camerawork and performances from all involved (even if you didn't like a character there was no denying the actor was doing exactly what they were supposed to.)

The realism of it all does start to fade during the finale. I mean, someone causing a disturbance at a restaurant which then leads to the police showing up, using excessive force until one of the black men dies, quickly leaving to cover their tracks and leaving the restaurant to take the blame from an angry mob who proceed to burn it down like it the restaurant's fault. Ridiculous. Come on Spike, even in 1989 that would never ...

Wait, actually, didn't this series of events just happen a few weeks ago in Atlanta? Fuck. So for me, even though Radio Rahim and Buggin Out were the ones being irrational and started the conflict (these two seemed to start confrontations wherever they went), quite unnecessarily, making their own beds (though they only should have been arrested, not killed obviously), it doesn't really matter because the exact same shit is still happening to this day. Nor does it matter if Mookie did the right thing by throwing the garbage can through his employers windows (debatable, though coming back the next day to ask for money was definitely a dick move.) The cycle of racism and violence just continues on and on.

A

Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]