Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 2001: A Space Odyssey 

What grade would you give this film?
A 74%  74%  [ 26 ]
B 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
C 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 35

2001: A Space Odyssey 
Extraordinary

Post Re: 2001: A Space Odyssey
prescription poppers, again now.

anyways, all I got to say is that if you eve have the chance tto see this a screening, bring drogas,,,not thing bad jumst mild hallucinogens (30mq Ambein) will do hst.t. ofr stuff. ih and less peole.

Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:34 am
Extraordinary

oh I ame in here t ask box about a book. is there a book on the movie? I dont realy wan to read the moovie book.

Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:37 am
Extraordinary

snackosaurus wrote:
oh I ame in here t ask box about a book. is there a book on the movie? I dont realy wan to read the moovie book.

hey high-snack :wub2:

The film was based on a short story by Clarke titled "Sentinel." Clarke collaborated with Kubrick on the script, and after the making of the film, wrote the novel. So this is one of the rare instances of a film inspiring the novel, rather than vice versa.

The novel is instructive in offering up a particular reading of the film's events (Clarke's) grounded on the notion of a superior alien entity guiding the course of humanity from savagery to transcendent extraterrestrialism. In this sense, 2001 engages with the traditional Judeo-Christian model in a curious way. The Judeo-Christian view of human history follows a circular trajectory: humanity begins in a state of complete union with God in Eden, becomes divorced from Him and lives in ignorance and barbarity, but will eventually be re-united with God in an extra-terrestrial site called Paradise, or the New Eden. In 2001, there is a kind of union between humanity and the (supposed) aliens, but it is one based on ignorance on humanity's part, which is meant to give way to advanced knowledge as humanity develops. So, whereas the religious view of history advocates regression, the spiritualized scientific one in 2001 advocates progression.

I think Kubrick's views in the film, from what I can discern, are more astute, and incorporate religion in subtler ways (such as the shattering of the glass at the end, reminiscent of the breaking of glass during the Jewish wedding ceremony). Clarke's, per the novel, seem in line with his views as espoused in his other works, where religious thought is explained away with reference to a superior alien intelligence of which humanity has hitherto being ignorant. In Childhood's End, for example, one of the jokes is that the aliens which arrive on Earth are more civilized than the humans and look like devils, having being the inspiration, in fact, for the notion of devils because of their occasional covert engagements with humanity throughout history.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I have never seen this film in full.- Watched the first 45 minutes...was rather beautiful. Had to stop. Never finished. Meh.

Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Also, 2001 can be a spiritual experience if you allow it to be, but it is always an avowedly un-religious one. Which is not to say that it is anti-religious; I think Clarke wishes it to be, but Kubrick evidently had other plans.

Part of the reason why 2001 can be read as spiritual is because of the longing it incites for something beyond humanity while representing a humanity so devoid of feeling and non-physical stimulation that a computer elicits a more sympathetic response from the audience than the human characters. The disjunction between these two elements of the film creates a space of absence that some viewers fill by (re)-reading the film's events from a spiritual perspective. I say spiritual because to interpret events from a religious perspective would be to subsume the film's narrative under the very religious one it disavows.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:32 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Box Loves Christian wrote:
Also, 2001 can be a spiritual experience if you allow it to be, but it is always an avowedly un-religious one. Which is not to say that it is anti-religious; I think Clarke wishes it to be, but Kubrick evidently had other plans.

"We had our first freakout in Los Angeles. A kid went up to the screen and screamed, 'It's God! It's God!' People are telling Stanley and me things we didn't realize were in the movie." — Arthur C. Clarke

Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:41 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Well, wasn't 2001 kind of a hit with LSD-ers and acid hitters in the US?

Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:44 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

junio wrote:
Well, wasn't 2001 kind of a hit with LSD-ers and acid hitters in the US?

Those LSD-ers are fine, but them acid hitters are no end of trouble!

Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:59 pm
He didn't look busy?!

i've gotten a chance to rewatch this as i've been using clips of it for an English project, and while i'm not sure i'd call it my favorite film ever, or the best film i've ever seen... it's certainly the most fascinating movie i've ever watched. Stanley Kubrick is a freakin' artist.

i'm actually kinda shocked that this was a huge hit at the box office. i think it made something like 300-325m in today's money. Can you imagine a movie with almost no dialogue, an incredibly slow pace, no central characters or famous actors, and a totally ambiguous plot making even a fraction of that today?

Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:49 am
Profile WWW
Another You

It's BO is sort of puzzling in respect to the mixed reception back then, though I think it's all about the "people are crazy about what's ahead" factor.

Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:50 am
Extraordinary

2001 had quite an elaborate road show release in 1968, and it had legs on legs - - it played for over a year at many theatres...

In the pre-VCR era, if you wanted to understand a complex movie like 2001, you couldn't just press rewind, you had to pony up for another movie ticket. This was one film that inspired many repeat customers.

As to it's appeal, you've got to remember the historical context - - the late 60's and early 70's were a golden age of the film art. Movies that featured challeging themes and intelligent stories could become box office hits during that era. It was in a way the complete opposite of the present day when stupidity (eg: Transformers) is the primary criteria for box office gold.

Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:31 am
Powered By Hate

Yeah, that's exactly why B-movies were always lucrative and Corman barely made it into the 70s, right? I bet Jaws was the death of art in cinema, yes?

I think you guys are REALLY underestimating the 60s space and drug craze. We got on the moon a year after this film's release, when it of course was still going strong. As for the drugs, how else did Fantasia finally make its money back? The big drugs today are different. How can you make a film that fits shooting crank then having sex for four days straight without eating as much as a tic tac? And the E-crazies are too busy going to raves.

Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:05 am
Powered By Hate

Yeah, but I'm saying it's not because audiences are intellectually lazy these days.

As for slow, meditative films with innovative visual effects being big these days, all it would require is marketing and an executive with a large pair of balls. The last one is the real stopper.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:23 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Audiences used to read a lot more in the past. The advent of the Internet and the incessant attack from the media that we are subjected to nowadays have numbed audiences' minds.

Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:03 pm
Profile WWW