Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 am

Reply to topic  [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Debate schedule 
Sbil

Post Re: Debate schedule
I'm kind of baffled by this. Remember when this was a foreign policy debate? lol

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:38 pm
Forum General

I think Obama is owning this debate, but I'm pissed that Romney won the coin toss to make the final closing statement. That really sucks.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:44 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Obama just referenced the game Battleship! LOL. Awesome.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:45 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

SolC9 wrote:
Obama just referenced the game Battleship! LOL. Awesome.

"we've visited the web site quite a bit. nothing adds up"

"we also have less horses and boyanettes. these things called "air craft carriers" are more important.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:47 pm
Sbil

Horses and Bayonets is the new Binders Full of Women.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:47 pm
Sbil

The media will paint a different story but I feel Barack is eating Mittens for breakfast in this debate.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:13 pm
Sbil

Romney appears to be losing his mind before our very eyes. #creepysmile

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:27 pm
Sbil

WHAT IS GOING ON

Stop repeating the same freaking economy talking points ad nauseum, Mittens. It's a FOREIGN POLICY debate.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:29 pm
Forum General

Obama won this debate handily IMHO. I'd be shocked if the instant polls show otherwise. I'd say at least 5 points in favor of Obama. Hopefully more.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:36 pm
Profile WWW
Superfreak

Pretty much everyone is saying he killed it.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:39 pm
Extraordinary

CBS gives the debate to Obama by a lot 53-27. I think it is clear that Obama won this debate.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:54 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

CBS instapoll:

Obama: 53%
Undecided: 24%
Romney: 23%

yeahhhh get it Barack

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:55 pm
Extraordinary

Libs wrote:
CBS instapoll:

Obama: 53%
Undecided: 24%
Romney: 23%

yeahhhh get it Barack

ok I was off by a few points oh well must have heard it wrong.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:58 pm
Profile WWW
Defeats all expectations

I wondered why there was no mention of the European debt crisis in the debate.

Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:40 pm
loyalfromlondon

American foreign policy only refers to countries they can bomb.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:21 am
Superfreak

Well, we have - more than likely- seen the last of Barack Obama in debates.

One of the all time great speakers, and charismatic personalities in American politics, is done with public debates. In two weeks, one of the greatest campaigners of all time, will have completed the final campaign for himself he will ever run.

100 years from now, people will still be talking about him, and showing clips of from his speeches, talking about the incredible campaign he ran in 2008, and he will serve a hero for African Americans everywhere. Win or lose in 2 weeks, agree or disagree with him personally, it has been a privilege for everyone who has paid attention, to watch Barack Obama rise to prominence.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:14 am
College Boy T

I am so sick of people praising Obama for his oratory skills.

And...don't get me wrong. 2012 Mitt Romney is scary (I quite liked 2008 Romney...*runs*). But Barack has been a total disappointment as president.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:56 am
Superfreak

The outlook on Obama has been so skewed. Seriously, nobody had the slightest clue the financial meltdown would be occurring until like 2 weeks before the 2008 election. "Obama got a totally different country than he campaigned on getting on...but still he sucks".

Frankly, to be blunt - the entire attitude towards another four years of Obama has been incredibly off-base. There is no reason in existence to think the next four years under Obama would be anything like the last four. It is like comparing the act of reconstructive surgery to the rehab getting you back to 100%. Obama will have no wars to end, no huge bail outs to write, no entitlements to extend. Obama spent 2008-2012 dealing with problems drastically different than he spent 99% of 2007 & 2008 campaigning about. The people saying "he has been disappointed" are just point blank not being objective. It is like getting on George W Bush for not making good on his 2000 promise to seek peace with the middle east. Shit happens. Things change. Priorities change.

People judge Obama based of this idea of what a model Obama Presidency of his would of looked like; an idea created in 2007. It's just absurd. There is not a whole lot obama has done wrong, given the context of he situation. There just isn't, many of the decisions he has had to make - outside of Obamacare- have been fairly obvious ones. It is why Romney has zero new ideas or solutions to the problems he spends so much time whining about.

If Obama can possibly win another four years, people are going to remember him so much differently than they do right now. Obama has spent four years setting us for significant growth, I just hope he can be president during it and get the credit for it (as opposed to a do nothing weasel like Romney). Obama is being faulted because he could not do the impossible, which is totally turn our economy around. He has done what Hoover and FDR failed to do - stop a depression from occurring. We always faced a fiscal criss after 28 years of huge spending. Thanks to Obama, we will do it with a full GDP & 7% unemployment instead of a fraction of our GDP and 20% unemployment - which is where we were headed.

I try to see it from the people saying they have been disappointed with hims perspective, but every time I come to the conclusion that they are just being unfair, unrealistic, and unobjective in their analysis.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:20 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

CRUSHED Romney.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:45 am
Extraordinary

Excel wrote:
The outlook on Obama has been so skewed. ...
I try to see it from the people saying they have been disappointed with hims perspective, but every time I come to the conclusion that they are just being unfair, unrealistic, and unobjective in their analysis.

:thumbsup:

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:39 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I agree we may be hard on him but COME ON!!!

Barrack Obama is not an all time speaker because is in the end he was just empty words and frankly he does connect anywhere near well as Emotionally as Bill Clinton or Ronald Reagan did.

Personally when I ever have seen Clinton or Reagan speak, I am to feel a connection.

Obama starts going off like a Professor and I am like ... :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:
The reason is...
I just don't simply believe in all of the hype anymore...

Obama still has one gigantic failure already under his belt that is undeniable...
The debt has increased by 5.5 trillion dollars in the first 4 years as President.

I understand the house was on fire, but by end of another 4 years...
He will increased the deficit by 10 trillion dollars. :shock:

If Obama does not adress the debt, that will be his legacy (and Obamacare)

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:47 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

First what does a great speaker matter? Most presidents are lousy speakers (Washington, Jefferson, Eisenhower, Jackson, among others). There is not much to do about the debt really. Nobody wants to reform anything in Washington and no one wants to compromise. It is both sides fault there and I don't blame him most of the house (the tea Party) will never compromise.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:58 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Excel wrote:
The outlook on Obama has been so skewed. Seriously, nobody had the slightest clue the financial meltdown would be occurring until like 2 weeks before the 2008 election. "Obama got a totally different country than he campaigned on getting on...but still he sucks".

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=44886

mdana wrote:
Anybody else worried this is the end of world as we have known it in America since the mid 80s and really since 1946?

Some people saw it at least 7 weeks out.

Excel wrote:
Frankly, to be blunt - the entire attitude towards another four years of Obama has been incredibly off-base. There is no reason in existence to think the next four years under Obama would be anything like the last four. It is like comparing the act of reconstructive surgery to the rehab getting you back to 100%. Obama will have no wars to end, no huge bail outs to write, no entitlements to extend. Obama spent 2008-2012 dealing with problems drastically different than he spent 99% of 2007 & 2008 campaigning about. The people saying "he has been disappointed" are just point blank not being objective. It is like getting on George W Bush for not making good on his 2000 promise to seek peace with the middle east. Shit happens. Things change. Priorities change.

Terrible comparison, because Bush started a pre-emptive war in Iraq based on manufactured and faulty intelligence. As much as I dislike Obama, he did not create this mess, he has done as much as he been capable of cleaning it up.

Excel wrote:
People judge Obama based of this idea of what a model Obama Presidency of his would of looked like; an idea created in 2007. It's just absurd. There is not a whole lot obama has done wrong, given the context of he situation. There just isn't, many of the decisions he has had to make - outside of Obamacare- have been fairly obvious ones. It is why Romney has zero new ideas or solutions to the problems he spends so much time whining about.

Obama does not have many new solutions either, unfortunately. It is the same crap that has been pushed by the Brookings Institute or Heritage for the past two decades. Both parties are out of ideas other than soak the middle and lower classes.

Excel wrote:
If Obama can possibly win another four years, people are going to remember him so much differently than they do right now. Obama has spent four years setting us for significant growth, I just hope he can be president during it and get the credit for it (as opposed to a do nothing weasel like Romney). Obama is being faulted because he could not do the impossible, which is totally turn our economy around. He has done what Hoover and FDR failed to do - stop a depression from occurring. We always faced a fiscal criss after 28 years of huge spending. Thanks to Obama, we will do it with a full GDP & 7% unemployment instead of a fraction of our GDP and 20% unemployment - which is where we were headed.

Depends on what you mean by the term of significant growth, but all growth in this country and even globally is predicated on cheap oil and that commodity no longer exists. Every economic growth period since the turn of the century has been cut short by a costly rise in oil prices. The US hit peak oil decades ago, and the world has either hit in the last 5 years or will reach it in the next 5 most likely.

Another problem comparing Obama to FDR and Hoover, is how much we learned from the Great Depression, World War II, and the work of John Maynard Keynes. The problem is the Obama economic team was too afraid to use that knowledge to the fullest extent. The stimulus was way too small and had too many tax cuts. A slighty larger stimulus ($1.2 trillion) with only 10% in tax cuts probably would have doubled (if not more) the 3 million stimulus created jobs and the unemployment rate would be lower around 6.1%. How much lower is difficult to discern due to some discouraged workers rejoining the job market, but it would probably be between 6.2-6.5%.

FDR screwed up when he fell for the austerity trap in 1937 and cut government spending which increased unemployment. I hope Obama will not fall for that trap, but some of his statements concern me that he might fall for the trap of the grand bargain after the election.

Excel wrote:
I try to see it from the people saying they have been disappointed with his perspective, but every time I come to the conclusion that they are just being unfair, unrealistic, and unobjective in their analysis.

His perspective is too often Republican lite, and he only asks for the help of the American people when he has an election. He will not rail against the do nothing Republicans like Truman did. He will not ask for our help in fights like the debt "crisis" or PPACA (Obamacare). Without a Democratic House he has little chance of achieving much that would have a positive impact for the majority of Americans.

Obama like Bill Clinton has been a half loaf, better than no loaf but not what we really need. They have had the "advantage" of being compared to Reagan and Bush II, incompetents in creating a better society or country.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:46 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Excel wrote:
Well, we have - more than likely- seen the last of Barack Obama in debates.

One of the all time great speakers, and charismatic personalities in American politics, is done with public debates. In two weeks, one of the greatest campaigners of all time, will have completed the final campaign for himself he will ever run.

100 years from now, people will still be talking about him, and showing clips of from his speeches, talking about the incredible campaign he ran in 2008, and he will serve a hero for African Americans everywhere. Win or lose in 2 weeks, agree or disagree with him personally, it has been a privilege for everyone who has paid attention, to watch Barack Obama rise to prominence.

He may be a great speaker, but his speeches have little to no substance. They are like the old joke about chinese food is great but being hungry an hour later. They seem great in the moment, but an hour later there is nothing memorable and people forget what was in it. The great speakers like Churchill, M.L. King, and Lincoln asked for sacrifice, that as much as anything else is why they are remembered and revered. Not because, they metioned some banal generalities about LL and church in the Blue states and gay friends and civil liberties in the red states.

It may not be for the right reasons. If climate change predictions turn out to be as bad as currently forecast, he might be remembered (along with Bush II) as the 21st century James Buchanan.

Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:03 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Speaking of Obama's legacy for future generations...

Quote:
Here are the relevant portions of the exchange, which was triggered when regular guest Mike Barnicle announced how amazing he found it that so little public attention and debate is paid to the fact that Obama simply kills whomever he wants "without any kind of due process":

SCARBOROUGH: "What we're doing with drones is remarkable: the fact that over the past eight years during the Bush years - when a lot of people brought up some legitimate questions about international law - my God, those lines have been completely eradicated by a drone policy that says: if you're between 17 and 30, and within a half-mile of a suspect, we can blow you up, and that's exactly what's happening . . . . They are focused on killing the bad guys, but it is indiscriminate as to other people who are around them at the same time . . . . it is something that will cause us problems in the coming years" . . . .

KLEIN: "I completely disagree with you. . . . It has been remarkably successful" --

SCARBOROUGH: "at killing people" --

KLEIN: "At decimating bad people, taking out a lot of bad people - and saving Americans lives as well, because our troops don't have to do this . . . You don't need pilots any more because you do it with a joystick in California."

SCARBOROUGH: "This is offensive to me, though. Because you do it with a joystick in California - and it seems so antiseptic - it seems so clean - and yet you have 4-year-old girls being blown to bits because we have a policy that now says: 'you know what? Instead of trying to go in and take the risk and get the terrorists out of hiding in a Karachi suburb, we're just going to blow up everyone around them.'

"This is what bothers me. . . . We don't detain people any more: we kill them, and we kill everyone around them. . . . I hate to sound like a Code Pink guy here. I'm telling you this quote 'collateral damage' - it seems so clean with a joystick from California - this is going to cause the US problems in the future."

KLEIN: "If it is misused, and there is a really major possibility of abuse if you have the wrong people running the government. But: the bottom line in the end is - whose 4-year-old get killed? What we're doing is limiting the possibility that 4-year-olds here will get killed by indiscriminate acts of terror."

Obama has led all sorts of progressives and other Democrats to be the most vocal supporters of unrestrained aggression, secret assassinations, and "crippling" the Iranian people with sanctions. It is completely unsurprising that the most sociopathic defense of drones comes from one of the most committed Obama supporters, and that it's now left to a former GOP Congressman to raise objections. As much as anything, that is the Obama legacy.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... orning-joe

Remember the outrage over torture under Bush? Where is the equivalent outrage on the Left or Right for Obama's actions? Now we are killing people without any semblence of due process under Obama's secret kill list. Most of them are innocent collateral damage and some are U.S. citizens. This will get worse under future administrations, because executive privileges are practically impossible to curtail, especially as Congress continues to abdicate its Constitutional duties.

Quote:
Secret ‘Kill List’ Proves a Test of Obama’s Principles and Will

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/29/world ... =all&_r=2&

The plutocracy that runs this country is turning us all into at best Good Germans now...

Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:58 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 211 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next