Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 428 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
 2012 Contenders Discussion 
Pure Phase

Post Re: 2012 Contenders Discussion
I honestly believe they might have nominated Foxx as a supporting actor for Collateral even if Ray didn't exist. Similar to Casey Affleck's supporting nomination for Jesse James. The Academy is willing to call you supporting if you're opposite a huge international star, even if the percentage screen time split is 60-40 your favor.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:23 am
Wallflower

publicenemy#1 wrote:
I feel like Great Gatsby won't be a big contender.

Ditto. Maybe some technical nods but that's all.

Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:55 am
Pure Phase

A December release hasn't won Best Picture since 2004. I'm not sure the whole, "Wait until December to release prestige pic and let the mystery/hype build to a fever pitch" angle is effective anymore. I believe Weinstein has the right idea with those late-November launches he gave The King's Speech and The Artist. More time for the art-house old farts to see your movie ;) and for grassroots W.O.M. to spread.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:59 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

That's true December is a little too late these days. Influential year end lists come out in early December and it doesn't givers acad members enough time.

BTW - looks like The Master may come out in October.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:39 pm
Wallflower

David wrote:
A December release hasn't won Best Picture since 2004. I'm not sure the whole, "Wait until December to release prestige pic and let the mystery/hype build to a fever pitch" angle is effective anymore. I believe Weinstein has the right idea with those late-November launches he gave The King's Speech and The Artist. More time for the art-house old farts to see your movie ;) and for grassroots W.O.M. to spread.

Thanksgiving week is a great time to release your Oscar contender.

Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:14 am
Pure Phase

Best Actor seems very strong this year. Daniel Day-Lewis in Lincoln, of course. Leonardo DiCaprio in The Great Gatsby. John Hawkes in The Sessions. Hugh Jackman in Les Misérables. Bill Murray in Hyde Park on Hudson. Joaquin Phoenix in The Master.

I almost can't see Day-Lewis winning. It's too soon after There Will Be Blood. He's a titan and a living legend, yes, but a third win so soon? His female equivalent, Streep, waited nearly thirty years for a third win. Also, has anyone ever won an acting Oscar for a Spielberg film?

I predict it will come down to Murray and Phoenix.

Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:03 am
Pure Phase

http://www.worldofkj.com/article.php?i=757

Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:55 pm
Sbil

I sincerely hope Moonrise Kingdom is remembered at the end of the year. Think it might be a toss up between that and Beasts of the Southern Wild for the "hit summer indie" Best Picture slot.

Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:08 pm
Begging Naked

Libs wrote:
I sincerely hope Moonrise Kingdom is remembered at the end of the year. Think it might be a toss up between that and Beasts of the Southern Wild for the "hit summer indie" Best Picture slot.

I'm actually predicting both to make it in right now. It can be like a lower-key scenario from last year of a breakout art house comedy (Midnight in Paris/Moonrise) and a heavier, more emotional drama with a passionate following (Tree of Life/Beasts) both making the Picture line-up. Moonrise being Anderson's biggest success in a while will help it, and having seen Beasts I definitely think it can rally up enough passion to get the needed #1 votes.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:02 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I would love to predict a Best Picture nomination for Moonrise Kingdom, but I can't see it happening. The Midnight in Paris comparison is tempting (Moonrise is a far superior film even), but also seems flawed because Wes Anderson films have received a grand total of three Oscar nominations, whereas Woody Allen is an Oscar fixture (despite rarely attending).

Midnight in Paris also played gangbusters with older audiences, whereas Moonrise Kingdom' core fan base is much younger.

The obligatory screenplay nomination for a quirky, well-received film (Memento, The Royal Tenenbaums, American Splendor, Y tu mamá también, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Squid and the Whale, Lars and the Real Girl) should be in the cards, though. The writing branches are always more adventurous.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:04 am
Where will you be?

Warner Bros releasing Cloud Atlas on October 27th gives me hope, but I'm sure it'll be way too edgy for the Oscars.

I could see Life of Pi playing big. Django Unchained could definitely be a power player if it really delivers in the same way Inglorious Basterds did.

Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:27 am
Powered By Hate

David wrote:
I would love to predict a Best Picture nomination for Moonrise Kingdom, but I can't see it happening. The Midnight in Paris comparison is tempting (Moonrise is a far superior film even), but also seems flawed because Wes Anderson films have received a grand total of three Oscar nominations, whereas Woody Allen is an Oscar fixture (despite rarely attending).

Midnight in Paris also played gangbusters with older audiences, whereas Moonrise Kingdom' core fan base is much younger.

The obligatory screenplay nomination for a quirky, well-received film (Memento, The Royal Tenenbaums, American Splendor, Y tu mamá también, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Squid and the Whale, Lars and the Real Girl) should be in the cards, though. The writing branches are always more adventurous.

A lot of those would have easily been nominated in a potential field of 10.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:51 pm
Pure Phase

Maybe, but even in the era of the expanded field, there have been writing nominees such as The Messenger, Another Year, Margin Call, A Separation, In the Loop, and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, films too small or niche to garner a Best Picture nod.

Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:24 pm
You must have big rats

Stil can't believe Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy missed. Not only did it score two important nods, its box-office actually was really solid given the lack of huge awards buzz. If nominated for BP, it would have cleared $35 million with ease (it never even played in 900 theatres or more).

Even the Brits didn't love it much, considerng its BAFTAs performance...

Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:28 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

It was too cold and too steely and English. Not a criticism, merely an awards-season observation

Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:30 pm
You must have big rats

The cold part was no different in TWBB or No Country for Old Men.

English, yes, but at least the British should have loved it then...

Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:35 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Yes but those other movies weren't English, let alone as stiff-upper-lip, keep-calm-and-carry-on English as this one

Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:39 pm