Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 How many series/seasons have you seen in 2023? 
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: How many series/seasons have you seen in 2023?
Slow Horses Season 1 - B+
Velma Season 1 - A-
Slow Horses Season 2 - B
American Auto Season 1 - B
Shrinking Season 1 - A-
Ghosts Season 2 - B+
Night Court (2023) Season 1 - B
Succession Season 4 - A
Ted Lasso Season 3 - B-
American Auto Season 2 - B+
The Mandalorian Season 2 - B-
South Park Season 26 - B+
Barry Season 4 - A-
Servant Season 4 - B
Survivor Season 44 - A-
Black Mirror Season 1 - B+ (A-, B-, B+)
The Idol Season 1 - B+
The Bear Season 1 - B-
Platonic Season 1 - B+
Black Mirror Season 2 - B+ (A, C+, A-, B+)
The Bear Season 2 - B
Jury Duty - B
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Season 1 - A-
The Mandalorian Season 3 - C+

I was going to give it a lower grade but the finale was pretty decent and probably the best use of Moth Gideon. The show became the Mandalorians/The Book of Bo Kattan this season but that it was making an effort long term storyline at times, made it stand out more when they did obvious filler like the Jack Black and Lizzo episode or the one where the foundling got taken by a creature (I guess grown up version can be in the next SW movies?), and spending a whole extra long episode building the lesbian-ish villain only for her to be Gideon's henchman and not even show in the finale instead of this new big bad, was a waste of time. The insane decision to put the Grogu-Luke arc in Book of Boba also hurt them again as it felt like it there wasn't enough of the 2 main characters in this season.

Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:48 am
The Kramer

32. Twisted Metal season 1 - 7.9
33. Hijack season 1 - 7
34. Killing It season 2 - 6
35. Prehistoric Planet season 2 - 6.2
36. Silo season 1 - 4.8

Will Arnett's voice on Samoa Joe's body made for the perfect Sweet Tooth. It's too bad he isn't in every episode. Mackey, Rosa from BK99 and Thomas Hayden Church are fun hangs too though.

Hijack probably should have been a movie, as dumb people doing dumb things isn't the greatest way to stretch out time. Idris and the mystery of why the hijackers are doing it keep this show entertaining throughout its seven episodes though.

Killing It stopped being about snake hunting and starting being a more comedic version of Ozark ... Why though? Still had some funny parts but just didn't feel like the same show.

Prehistoric Planet is a nice idea and I'm glad David Attenborough got whatever adsurd sum of money to do it. Watching cgi dinosaurs isn't as interesting as real animals though. And also, how could they possibly know some of this stuff?

I probably would have stopped Silo earlier if not for feeling empathy towards Rebecca Fergeson for something that happened in a completely different thing. Just feels kinda been there, done that ... though the ending was intriguing and almost makes me wanna see what happens next even though I've cared very little about what's happened thus far.

Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:20 am
Devil's Advocate

Slow Horses Season 1 - B+
Velma Season 1 - A-
Slow Horses Season 2 - B
American Auto Season 1 - B
Shrinking Season 1 - A-
Ghosts Season 2 - B+
Night Court (2023) Season 1 - B
Succession Season 4 - A
Ted Lasso Season 3 - B-
American Auto Season 2 - B+
The Mandalorian Season 2 - B-
South Park Season 26 - B+
Barry Season 4 - A-
Servant Season 4 - B
Survivor Season 44 - A-
Black Mirror Season 1 - B+ (A-, B-, B+)
The Idol Season 1 - B+
The Bear Season 1 - B-
Platonic Season 1 - B+
Black Mirror Season 2 - B+ (A, C+, A-, B+)
The Bear Season 2 - B
Jury Duty - B
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Season 1 - A-
The Mandalorian Season 3 - C+
The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Season 2 - B+
Riverdale season 3 - B

Mrs Maisel season 2 got a little distracted from the comedy in part cause it took her one season to become the best female comedian of all time in the show's universe with the superpower to turn events that just happened a few hours ago into a perfectly polished joke first time she tries it that night, so there is less plot to show her progressively getting better, it's only about getting better gigs and exposure. So they had to come up with some arcs like sending them on vacation to Catskills for a few months which was a pretty fun arc admittedly, and Zach Levi playing the most obvious "she's not going to end up with him" love interest of all time. Still a decent season though.

I have a hard time rating Riverdale since I saw the first half of season 3 a while ago and wasn't into it, but then finished the season and appreciated it again for being one of the most ridiculous shows of all time and doing any possible thing it can think of to be entertaining.

Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:21 pm
The Kramer

37. Its Always Sunny In Philadelphia season 13 ... I think? - 7.5
38. What We Do In The Shadows season 5 - 6.9

Always Sunny continues to truck along putting out funny episodes that are also sometimes topical. Hopefully they'll continue to do so, and theres no reason to think they won't since their other shows seem to be winding down.

The main cast of Shadows are still fun hangs. There was a lot to like about this season. It just feels like they ran out of story, and a decision in the final episode basically undid several seasons worth of progress to basically reset everything back to the way it was in episode 1. Strange narrative choice unless this winds up being the end. Then I would have to reevaluate it and probably give it a higher grade.

Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:20 am
The Kramer

39. Party Down season 3 - 8
40. Ahsoka season 1 - 7.5
41. Futurama season 11 (ish?) - 4

Very glad to have Party Down back. I rewatched the first two seasons before hand and they hold up so well. Only six episodes, and no Lizzy Caplan, were both kind of a bummer. But they made those six episodes count and Jennifer Garner as Henry's new love interest was a pretty big get.

Ahsoka started rough but got better and better, leading to a worthy season finale for all Rebels fans. However, I cannot imagine watching this show without seeing Rebels first. It's basically season 5, which is all I ever wanted, but new viewers are sure to be lost.

Ehhhh Futurama's return was such a big deal, as was settling the deal with John Dimagio. I'm happy they all got paid again. These episodes were weak though. Even the Comedy Central run produced a few great episodes per season. Hulu just wants content though I guess.

Wed Oct 04, 2023 1:54 pm
The Kramer

42. Archer season 14 - 7
43. Upload season 1 - 7.7
44. Loki season 2 - 5.7
45. Demon Slayer Swordsmith Village arc - 5.2

-Maybe its just me but I feel like tv has been pretty weak in 2023, especially compared to the excellent lineup of films we have gotten. Its up to Scott Pilgrim to save the day!

Fri Nov 17, 2023 3:03 pm
The Kramer

I asked for better tv and Netflix delivered it!

46. Scott Pilgrim Takes Off season 1 (probably the only season) - 10
47. Upload season 2 - 7.5
48. One Piece (live action) season 1 - 10

Pilgrim getting a 10 is no surprise since its one of my favorite IPs, made by the original creator and it delivered way more than they promised.

Upload season 2 is still funny enough to warrant about the same grade as the first. My favorite joke was the rich old guy talking about where the line is between animals you can eat and can't eat. "We eat Octopus and by all accounts they are more intelligent than a six year old child."

One Piece is one of the biggest tv surprises ever for me. I tried a few episodes of anime and didn't like it. I tried first book of the manga and didn't like it. I really had no business even watching the show but it won me over instantly. Just toning it down a little bit made it not only tolerable, but irresistable. Love the entire crew and their rogue gallery of fiendish devilfruit eating pirates.

Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:59 pm
Don't Dream It, Be It

I say you give One Piece (anime) a try again where the live-action left off.

Will check out Scott Pilgrim in the coming weeks.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:36 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

Corpse wrote:
I say you give One Piece (anime) a try again where the live-action left off.

Will check out Scott Pilgrim in the coming weeks.
I'm gonna try to hold off so it will all be fresh. Might not be able to resist. Do you think they'll be able to cover it all or is it an insurmountable task? They said maybe fall 2024 for season 2!

Yay for SPTO getting another viewer. :wub2:

Have you tried Arkane? Have heard good things and Netflix is on a roll for me right now.

Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:03 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

The longer the live-action One Piece goes, the harder it's generally going to be to adapt on a technical level. What they did by adapting the first arc though (or like 4/5 of it) is pretty remarkable. All those failed live-action adaptations of series' that, on paper, should have been easier to do, yet One Piece is the one that succeeds. I imagine having Oda (the author) so involved went a long way. This was a tall task to be sure, but Oda has always made sure the hands on his baby treat it with care when he's on board.

I suppose it just comes down to its characters and stories in the end, which is true for anything.

One Piece still wouldn't be at/near the top of the anime/manga world after 26 years (and counting) if its characters and stories didn't connect with people. I always praise One Piece, but the way it's able to excel at having totally goofy and humorous moments to having very serious situations and messages in its DNA is unrivaled. You appreciate both sides, and everything in-between, without any of what should be distracting contrasts harm the other.

I've had Arkane recommended to be by several people. I'll get to it one day! Haha.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:36 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2