Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Shack’s messy list of top 50 favorite tv shows 
Devil's Advocate

Post Shack’s messy list of top 50 favorite tv shows
I have to deal with some personal issues a few weeks from now so I won’t start until after then (probably like the week of Oct 29). But I’ll guess I’ll put the thread up early to advertise is and maybe drop a few HMs.

Tue Oct 10, 2023 6:21 pm
The Kramer

Post Re: Coming soon: Shack’s messy list of top 50 favorite tv sh
The messier the better!

Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:53 pm
Devil's Advocate

Honorable mentions

The White Lotus

Sexual tension and exotic locations is a cool combo, maybe the storylines could be a level better though.

Westworld

If this ended after season 2 it would have made the list but season 3 and 4 is one of the biggest trainwrecks I’ve ever seen for a former good show and borderline should be deleted from the streaming service.

American Auto

Because I don’t watch Netflix (yes, I run the top 10 thread despite that) this is the first time I’ve been burned by a cancellation in many years as a fun workplace comedy with some standout episodes like the plague and commercial ones.

Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:25 pm
The Kramer

I thought all of Westworld was deleted for tax purposes? Vintage Zaslav.

Auto was enjoyable but I liked Superstore way more.

Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:17 pm
Devil's Advocate

Honorable mentions cont.

American Idol

“I used to rule the world, seas would rise when I gave the word” - Simon Cowell

I was certainly in on the Idol water cooler train when I was younger, but winning felt less significant after a while once too many flopped on the charts, I made it up to the season Adam Lambert lost.

The Amazing Race

The Rat Race/It's a Mad Mad World concept in reality show format was cool and it was nicely produced, I’ve toyed with trying to get back into it since re-adopting Survivor during the all winners season was a huge success, although the latter was always the better show.

Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:31 pm
Devil's Advocate

Honorable Mentions Cont.

The Boys

They struck gold with one of the best TV villain performances of all time in Homelander and entertaining dipshit in The Deep, but some of the other parts of the show like the actual boys or Hughie and Starlight relationship is ok and not top 50 level.

Only Murders in the Building

Much like the Boys it has some strengths like great physical comedy work by Short and Martin, but the writing and directing can feel it’s missing something to take it to another level at times.

Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:06 pm
The Kramer

I'd have The Boys on mine even though it hasn't finished yet. Definitely the best amazon show.

Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:27 pm
Devil's Advocate

The real list might be delayed a bit longer than I expected but I’ll try to get a few more honorable mentions in

Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:03 pm
Devil's Advocate

Honorable mentions cont.

Ted Lasso

I was never 100% on the bandwagon especially in the 3rd season when they tried to do a Keeley spinoff show at the same time, but it still is a nice comedy with its one liners, heart, cast chemistry and the soccer scenes are better than they had to be.

Slow Horses

This Algren friendly show is carried by an amazing Oldman performance, some of the rest of it is just a solid-above average spy show with it clearly being a “series of paperback spy books” adaptation and supporting cast that could be better, although Saoirse’s boyfriend Jack Lowden makes a solid audition to play young/inexperienced James Bond.

Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:04 pm
Devil's Advocate

Endless honorable mentions cont.

The Simpsons

The Simpsons is cool, I think the supporting characters are the highlight for me and there is some great episodes like Homer’s Enemy and When Flanders Failed, but I never felt super attached to it, so I decided to leave it off.

The Eric Andre Show

This show is a work of art but much like Key & Peele, I mainly enjoyed it deep diving youtube clips rather than actually seeing the full episodes, so I’ll keep it off.

Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:16 am
The Kramer

Simpsons is hard to judge amongst other tv. Seasons 3-11 would probably be in my top ten, it was premium tv, but all the rest wouldn't even touch the top 50.

Lasso probably would make my top 50, but would be much lower than if it had just stuck to comedy the whole time instead of transitioning into a drama halfway through.

Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:05 pm
Devil's Advocate

Endless honorable mentions cont.

More Apple cuts as the master of this range as despite 5 HMs there is still 6 more in the bottom half of the list.

See

This was a cool “post Game of Thrones” show with a nice psycho villain and some of the best filmed action set pieces in recent memory, although sometimes it feels like the story was an excuse to show off with those, and characters fumbling around to walk could be moderately annoying. I appreciated that it didn’t overstay its welcome with 3 seasons and out.

Servant

This was one of the most artistically directed shows around show and the emotional tension beneath its characters was palpable but sometimes it felt like it wasn’t going anywhere plot wise and wasted too much time with standalone episodes with bugs and animals acting up. Ultimately, interesting but it could have been a bit better.

For All Mankind

I really like the concept of this show and I’m down for anything involving shit going wrong in space, and their visual set pieces in those scenes can be amazing. This covers up probably some average character work and writing in the behind the scenes NASA plots.

Wed Oct 18, 2023 11:31 am
Keeping it Light

Impressive how much TV you've watched and still watch, look forward to the list.

Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:01 am
Devil's Advocate

I’m a longtime pirate which makes it easier, especially in streaming service era.

Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:26 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Shack’s messy list of top 50 favorite tv shows
I referenced “messy” cause in mid 2010s I kind of became a shell/numb mentally and harder to connect with things (maybe emotionally unavailable genes from my dad kicked in or something), in a curated punishment from the universe it affected my consumption of movies/tv/sports/wrestling/etc. So I decided not to finish all my favorite shows from the time period until it wasn’t a “tainted” experience, and regret forcing through the ones I did. That impact on my list isn’t the worst I guess since I had already formed my opinion on them, but the more complicated part is what to do with the shows I started watching after that point since I don’t trust my taste the most on those (I ended up having 19 on the list, but none in top 10). That’s in addition to it being complicated to rank shows that have only had one/two seasons so far, kid/teen nostalgia shows, rerun shows I’ve seen less than half the episodes of, etc.

50. Platonic (AppleTV)

This series mainly is carried by Rogen and Byrne’s chemistry and physical comedy talents (the husband actor is a bit bland although has some moments) but that’s ok. It’s just nice to hang out with them and a mid life crisis had some complex psychological material, and for a comedy it’s well directed. I would definitely be down for a second season but my idea would be to make it an anthology where season 2 stars another combo like Andy Samberg and Rashida Jones or something.

49. The Office (US) (NBC)

If it ended after 5 seasons or so maybe it would be higher, season 2 in particular is lights out, but I’m not sure how much I needed the later season stuff like Andy and Erin relationship or parent Jim and Pam, and of course, they definitely should’ve ended it after Carell left. Still, it’s a great sitcom overall where the mockumentary style helps ground it in some form of reality and create a reactive form of comedy that tapped into something new compared to the laugh track sitcoms, and its best comedy moments are some of the funniest in tv history.

Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:03 pm
The Kramer

Being on the top 50, but lower than what most people would expect feels right for The Office. I love seasons 1-3, but yeah, the show just isn't the same after Jim and Pam get together. Michael and Dwight are also especially less interesting when they are just lovable oafs who make mistakes in the later seasons compared to the near-psychopaths they are at first.

Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:44 pm
Devil's Advocate

48. Obi-Wan Kenobi (Disney Plus)

I thought this was the best of the recent Star Wars movies and tv shows, mainly I like the Obi-Wan and Anakin story and their dialog and fights. The surprising cheap looking budget kind of inadvertently gave it a grittier feel that worked and the Leia actress was fun enough. This was a nice addition to the prequels (the best Star Wars).

47. Severance (AppleTV)

I’ll always be down for a "mystery box" type of science fiction show and the cult subject matter is compelling. The scenes at the office are superb with great production and directing and cast member chemistry, while the ones at home like with his sister are not as good, you know they’re probably going to mess up their original concept like Westworld by making them escape the office and sentient for good, but in the meantime season 1 was a nice little ride. When judging it vs the other Apple shows that were honourable mentions I asked myself what seasons I want to see next the most I’m definitely looking forward to what happens next in this.

Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:35 pm
Devil's Advocate

46. Shrinking (AppleTV)

I thought this was made by having of the best casts I’ve seen for a comedy in a while, you knew Jason Segel and Harrison Ford would deliver however my favorite performance in the first season was Jessica Williams. Christa Miller and Ted McKinley also had great roles. They have the type of natural chemistry where I just want to watch them sit in the backyard drinking wine and hanging out. It uses the theme of unhealthy lack of boundaries in a subtly good way by making it seem like they always hanging around each other’s houses and giving their take on each other’s lives.

45. Downton Abbey (ITV)

This was an enjoyable drama not just due to the famously good loking costumes and production, but it also had a nice assortment of characters with the will they or won’t they romance, sisters dynamics and some of the more morally grey servant characters. Unfortunately all the actors who quit the show did a number after a while and I never got around to watching the rest of the series after its most shocking death.

Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:06 pm
The Kramer

I watched a few Downtons on a plane ride once. Never bothered to continue, but I get why people like it.

Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:06 am
Devil's Advocate

44. The Morning Show (AppleTV)

When I was trying to rate my favorite Apple shows I watch, on one hand, it seems like this had one of the most clear flaws. On the other hand, during its recent 2 year layoff I genuinely missed it and was annoyed that it was gone so long, which I’m not sure I would feel about some of the HM Apple mentions, so I guess that means I like it more. It’s always nice to see Jen and Reese, I like the relevant subject matters and the Carell character’s plot worked for me. Crudup is a bit much but has his moments.

43. Black Mirror (Channel 4/Netflix)

I recently started watching this (through season 2 and White Christmas) have been impressed by it as a modern Twilight Zone with intelligent predictions and concerns about technology, while also having room for human elements. The classic episodes would probably rate higher than this while the iffier ones lower, so I guess it can be here for now until I see more episodes.

Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:45 pm
The Kramer

So Black Mirror makes it on without you having seen USS Calister and San Junipero? Well its in for a jump by the time you finish!

Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:37 am
Devil's Advocate

42. Justified (FX)

The dialog and pace of this show was entertaining and Olyphant and Goggins charisma and masculinity played off each other worked along with the supporting cast. The big bad structure makes me think of it as a cousin of Dexter except small town sheriff is less fun concept than serial killer structure in Miami. It lost me during the season where Michael Rapaport as Florida drugpin was the villain.

41. The Rehearsal (HBO)

When this series starts it looks like it’s just going to be an isolated rehearsal to help someone out every episode, which would have been enjoyable anyway, but then with the extended house/kid storyline it goes in a direction that can only be described as the work of a mad genius. The episodes where the kid grows up too fast and where the kid thinks he’s his real daddy are unbelievable.

Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:03 am
Devil's Advocate

40. Mythic Quest (AppleTV)

The gaming setting is fun for a workplace comedy (even if I’m a noob myself in the subject) and I enjoy theme of talent and ego clashing, balancing art vs getting recognition/success, etc. There is some stronger supporting characters like Jo and weaker ones like the testers and its best episodes like the quarantine one are better than its weak points, but the best stuff is enough to put it here. It helps that I’m a little in love with Poppy (my ship with her and Ian is a ghost ship going nowhere, but I can kind of respect the decision and like their platonic relationship/rivarly).

39. South Park (Comedy Central)

Like the other ancient comedies South Park has had its ups and down quality wise and I feel it peaks in movie musical form, but episodes like the Warcraft one, Scott Tennorman, the Simpsons doing everything already, Imaginationland, gay fish, etc. are better than most shows entire runs. In modern day it’s nice to see have it still chiming in on the nazi Kanyes and Prince Harry events of the day.

Sat Nov 04, 2023 1:38 pm
The Kramer

Way too low for South Park!

Mythic Quest is one of the two best Apple shows. The Rehearsal is also a great pick.

Sat Nov 04, 2023 3:33 pm
Devil's Advocate

38. Louie (FX)

The creativity of this show was cool, he basically did whatever he felt like doing that episode, and Louie’s strong performance as the alt version of himself was a key to the show. It also helps that he had new A level stand up material in every episode. Unlike every other list online where it no longer exists, I’m not going to punish it for real life events, it probably makes the exploration of his deep rooted issues more complex if anything.

37. How I Met Your Mother (CBS)

This is the only multi can sitcom I can remember binging the whole series, and actually the discussion over the ending was what prompted me to, overall I think it makes the show more interesting (I have a bigger problem with the whole last season being one wedding weekend) and I feel like why Barney and Robin’s relationship was doomed but her and Ted need each other makes sense psychologically. I also enjoy the analysis I’ve read of Ted as an unreliable narrator. Having some of those relationship dynamics combined with the episodic fun stuff made it a great sitcom.

Sun Nov 05, 2023 11:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next