Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:02 pm

Reply to topic  [ 792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 32  Next
 What are you watching right now? 
The Kramer

Post Re: What are you watching right now?
I liked the first episode up until her reaction to being locked on the closet was “we’ll talk about it in the morning.” Any reasonable person would be done at that point.

It’s much more of a traditional set-up than the first. I hope they cut back and forth between then and the present more often, as Hill House was really more about the trauma received from the haunting than the haunting itself.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:45 pm
100% That Bitch

They go apeshit starting episode 5 and it just doesn't stop. Holy shit I'm up to episode 7 and I'm confused as fuck about this house lmao.

They turned the jumping up to 100

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:02 pm
Forum General

I thought the first half was pretty slow, but the second half is kind of great. It picked up for me significantly after episode 5 which was a complete mindfuck of an episode, but as far as scares or atmosphere go I still don't think ever came close to Hill House.

I really like the characters too, but they weren't as interesting or engaging as the ones from Hill House IMO and the same goes for the overall story.

The drama this season was aces though and it actually got me a little teary eyed at times, especially towards the end.

Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:16 pm
The Kramer

Glad to hear it picks up cause right now (through 2) it could be any random Conjuring spinoff (and those mostly suck.) I am getting some Skeleton Key vibes from the creepy kids though, maybe that will pay off.

Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:19 pm
100% That Bitch

So yeah, this has a much much much better ending than Hill House, overall I'd say they're tied both getting A

While this season is less into horror and more into the drama side. It's still has some good scary moments. The characters were less iconic tho, but the story picks up in the best way possible and episode 5 pretty much deserves an Emmy for everything.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Oct 10, 2020 3:09 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I recently watched Ted Lasso and damn that series is amazing, it really reminded me of Barry but more into regular comedy with sports where the titular actors are amazing in their turns that are surrounded by well written story/characters, the later felt much more original.

Also finished first season of "Emily in Paris" and while its cliched and disappointing considering Darren Star's previous efforts but it has its charms specially because four central characters/actors have great chemistry.

Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:50 am
The Kramer

The last episode was the best. Overall a big letdown though. The second to last episode where they “explained everything” was rough. And the “mindfuck” episode would have more of a lasting impact if they hadn’t done the same thing a few episodes later lol.

Will start The Boys season 2 tomorrow.

Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:51 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

The Haunting of Bly Manor did not connect with me as well compared to first. Its again told nicely and the setup has so much potential but there are just not enough horror elements in the start and once they start its not scary enough. The time jump is not explained well enough nor is the haunting in terms of why she leaves a few people and takes only a few when she really does not remember anything. The best episode was indeed Episode 5 but then again its still does not contain any scares.

I have restarted Supernatural from where I left it at Season 13 and I have to say even with its over-the-top storyline this series continues to have that zany energy that no other series have maintained after so many series. Its conventional episodes are also fun to unfold thanks to the leads.

Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:31 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Finished Supernatural Season 13 and 14. 13 came out a little stronger because of Jack's introduction. Season 14 ended in a whimper but overall that season was equally great.

Season 15 started poorly but I am hopeful that it will improve in further episodes specially once Jack is back.

Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:18 am
100% That Bitch

Alguien Tiene Que Morir is the first Spanish/Mexican Netflix missfire.

C-

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:44 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I watched the mini-series The War of the Worlds (2019) starring Eleanor Tomlinson and Rafe Spall. The acting as expected is AMAZING and they both sell the hell out of the love story but the somber ending and an uninspired direction which lacks tension brings this down.

There is another War of the Worlds series from 2019 (without preceding "The") that I plan to catch up soon.

Currently midway through The Boys Season 2 and this series continues to impress. Its an improvement over an excellent Season 1 thus far with better focus and tension along with big "wtf" moments throughout.

Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:54 pm
Forum General

The Boys Season 2 is definitely better than Season 1 IMO. I absolutely loved it and a lot of that had to with the introduction of Stormfront and her relationship with Homelander. You guys should also give Raised By Wolves a shot since it also just recently finished its run, but that's only if enjoy hard sci-fi horror in the vein of Alien or Blade Runner. I loved that show as well, but it won't be everyone which is definitely understandable.

Helstrom is another one I just finished today and man does it go off the rails in the second half. I was kind of enjoying the first half of it, but those last couple of episodes killed it for me and its just the most basic of Marvel shows out there and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't get renewed for a second season.

The final episode of Lovecraft Country aired tonight as well and while it stumbles a bit in the middle section overall I do think its a pretty great show. The racism aspects might bother some, but it definitely didn't disappoint when it came to the horror and gore which is all I really wanted at the end of the day.

I plan on watching Grand Army and Alguien Tiene Que Morir next even though I haven't heard the best things about it. It's only three episodes and I will pretty much watch anything with Ester Expósito in it now.

Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:13 am
Veteran

Rewatching The Wire - my 4th watch
Star Trek: Discovery - I really enjoy it
Tehran - im a sucker for mossad thrillers
Raised by Wolves - it’s interesting
Fargo - I’m slogging through it and seeing the season through to the end

I was blind, but now I see.

Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:17 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

The Boys Season 2 lived up to expectations and more with focused and tighter script and new additions.

I also finished War of the Worlds (2019) French series(?) and it does an amazing job in creating the silence of a post-apocalyptic world. The sci-fi stuffs was cartoonish and the end reveal landed with a thud but I hope it will get better with Season 2.

Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:27 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I watched four episodes of the new HBO series "Industry" and highly enjoyed them.

I finished "Emily In Paris" recently too. It was fun fluff.

Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:24 am
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Idiot

I have recently started to rewatch New Girl (now that Big Bang Theory is almost over). I didn't love the series enough before but this rewatch has brought forth the shows strengths (the cast) and the witty writing throughout.

I also started Brooklyn Nine-Nine Season 7 and I really have missed this show so happy that they have renewed the series for 2 more seasons.

Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:19 am
Forum General

I just got done binging both Grand Army and Alguien Tiene Que Morir and honestly I quite enjoyed them both. Grand Army is like a lesser Euphoria or Elite, but its still a pretty good show even if the majority of the characters are pretty unlikable for the most part. I found Alguien Tiene Que Morir to be entertaining from start to finish though even though its on the weaker side of the Netflix/Spanish shows I have seen so far.

Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:23 pm
Forum General

Binged both Blood of Zeus and Barbarians which were fortunately very easy to binge thanks to the short episode count. I really enjoyed both shows, especially Barbarians which was actually a lot better than I was expecting.

I honestly enjoyed it even more than some of the later seasons of Vikings which definitely says something and hopefully it gets renewed, but considering its Netflix I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't.

Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:08 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I watched "Ratched" which was better than "Hollywood" but still not very good. The performances were all over the place. I thought Sophie Okonedo in particular was cringeworthingly awful.

I'm making my way through "The Queen's Gambit" right now.

Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:41 pm
Profile YIM
KJ's Leading Idiot

I finally finished Season 1 of The Punisher (have been holding on this for last few months), its good and much better than the movies and John Bernthal is a decent Punisher but it fails to build Ben Barnes/Jigsaw as a main villain (specially compared to other greats of Netflix's Marvel series). I also gets a little predictable at times but the gore is great at all times.

Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:58 pm
Forum General

Truth Seekers was a pretty fun show to binge yesterday, but Simon Pegg was way underused IMO and I definitely enjoyed the first half more than the second half. Nick Frost is great in it though and really him and Pegg are the only reasons I even watched it in the first place. Cryptid was an okay show, but there wasn't enough focus on the creature itself IMO and I didn't care for the teen romance/drama stuff at all, but it had potential.

Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:30 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

"The Queen's Gambit" is absolutely fucking brilliant. Anya Taylor-Joy should be a frontrunner for the Emmy next year.

Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:07 pm
Profile YIM
Rachel McAdams Fan

thompsoncory wrote:
"The Queen's Gambit" is absolutely fucking brilliant. Anya Taylor-Joy should be a frontrunner for the Emmy next year.

God this was so good. Maybe the best show of the year.

Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:27 am
Profile YIM
Forum General

It's a great show and apart of me was thinking that it wasn't going to live up to the hype but it did. Anya Taylor Joy is just one of the best, young actresses working today and she absolutely kills it in this show, especially her scenes with Marielle Heller. I wanted way more scenes with Bill Camp though because I thought he was also pretty fantastic.

Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:52 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

I have restarted "How to Get Away with Murder" Season 4 now, this series is great.

Finished The Punisher Season 2 which was almost on par with Season 1 but the stakes were a little lower. Also finished The Big Bang Theory Season 12 re-watch and this time I liked the finale a little better than the first time.

Edit: How to Get Away with Murder and not How I Met Your Mother :sweat:

Sun Nov 08, 2020 5:29 am
Reply to topic   [ 792 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 32  Next