Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 The Boys 
Devil's Advocate

Post The Boys

Really enjoyed this 8 episode watch. They really nailed putting superheroes in a cynical modern world, and the casting is tremendous with my favorite being Antony Starr as twisted Superman equivalent in Homelander. Erin Moriarty could be a future household name, and Karl Urban is now ready to take his spot as the new Gerard Butler. This feels like one of the biggest, most essential streaming shows to date and a game changer for Amazon

Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:04 pm
Forum General

Post Re: The Boys
Yeah this show is dope and I absolutely cannot wait for Season 2. Fantastic performances from Antony Starr, Erin Moriarity, Karl Urban and Elizabeth Shue. I might not have quite loved it as much as most, but I'm really happy it ended up being such a huge success.

Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:14 am
Extraordinary

One of the few shows I've been able to binge though I think it was only 8 episodes. Can't remember. It was very entertaining and interesting. Some heroes are a bit more powerful than others. Looking forward to see season 2.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:11 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Was A Train trying to intentionally channel Anthony Mackie? Because I kept getting that vibe.

The show is terrific. Much better than I thought it would be. I was really worried it would be gratuitous just to be gratuitous, but it wasn't. Most everything felt natural and flowed well. Though I thought the focusing on The Deep was strange and out of place half the time.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:52 am
Extraordinary

Almost done with S1, wow, I'm impressed.

Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:49 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

I am waiting for Season 2 to finish entirely before starting it. The reviews for Season 2 (early episodes) are even better than Season 1.

Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:51 am
The Kramer

This is so much better than all the other modern "wouldn't it suck to actually have superheroes?" type of projects. It never focuses on how cool they are for thinking up this idea. In the opening scenes of the series you get everything you need to know. The Flash kills a girl by running through her and it just immediately tells you that there will be no consequences, no accountability and pressing any further will alienate you from society. Hmm, it's almost like we hear real world stories like this every single week about the people who are supposed to "protecting us from evil." That gives it the grit that Doom Patrol, Project Power, Code 8, etc... all missed on despite how desperately they wanted it. The Boys is the true successor to Watchmen that we have waited so long for.

Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:27 pm
KJ's Leading Idiot

Code 8 was about suppression of good guys/heroes, Project Power was about amplifying your inner powers. Never watched Doom Patrol but reading overview it looks like about traumatized heroes. The Boys to me is different, it looks at how people blindly follow their superheros and what happens when these people take these privileges/trust for granted. Its a reflection of our current society as well where not all but some of the "heroes" are treated as gods and people blindly follow what they do/speak (look at our Politics section for more details :P).

Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:23 pm
Forum General

Season 2 is off to a great start IMO. I'm already loving it way more than Season 1 and yes this show is a lot closer to what you would probably have expected the Watchmen tv show to be, although I did end up loving that show as well. Homelander is just a creepy and scary fucking character all around and what they have done with him so far in Season 2 is even darker and more twisted than anything in Season 1. Stormfront is easily the most despicable character this season though. After episodes 3 and 4 I really hope she gets somekind of comeuppance by the end of this season.

Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:24 am
Devil's Advocate

The Homelander Doppelganger scene was great. Doppelganger could've pulled it off if he didn't tell Homelander it's totally not gay and that everyone loves him

Stormfront is a good villain that ties in pretty well to current events and how people's emotions are manipulated. Pretty sure she's a nazi.

The show does a good making the Boys part of it entertaining. It could've gone bad if every time they got on you just wanted them to go back to Homelander and co.

My biggest criticism is there's a lot of plot armour. Starlight should be dead.

Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:43 pm
The Kramer

Wow season 2 lived up to all expectations. I didn't like how Stormfront at first, since it was a little to conveinant of a way to make someone the most evil on the show. But watching her turn Homelander into SuperTrump was a harrowing reflection of our time. So many shows have tried the "what if superheros were real? wouldn't that suck?" trope but The Boys actually SHOWS how and why the supersystem would be corrupted just like the rest of our instituions. It's a show that remains grounded even when a room full of senators have their heads exploded and it somehow never treads into the territories of cruelty and nihilism (looking at you Thrones). The Boys is a show about how people can still be heroes even when the public heroes are actually villains.

Sun Oct 18, 2020 9:08 pm
Forum General

Season 2 was on a whole other level of greatness IMO and it could not have been more timely or relevant than it is right now. Stormfront was such a great villain and seeing her with Homelander was all kinds of dark, fucked up awesomeness that perfectly fits the tone of this show. It made that finale all the more satisfying too and I can't wait to see what they do with that final character reveal/twist in the next season, because it completely changed things entirely.

Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:19 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

Finished Season 2 and its easily better than Season 1. It felt there was more focus this time and all side stories connected well. Stormfront is a great villain, the finale is absolutely bonkers and even though I did see that coming from the moment Homelander takes away his son its still very good. I didn't buy into the whole reason for Homelander not killing Billy and Starlight/Maeve returning to the team but it does break the whole thing and is a small complaint in comparison to what greatness that comes before it. I loved the finale reveal and Hughie's part in the end.

Also felt that Hughie was somehow demoted this season to just being Starlight's love interest rather than do something important. Karl Urban's Billy has some cool lines but the whole gang has very little to do with the main story and/or central conflict.

Season 2 - A-

Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:43 am
100% That Bitch

Why aren't we discussing how perfect this eason of The Boys has been?

And the #Herogasm? Holy fuck this episode is just perfect, the final 10 minutes. Omg

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:44 pm
The Kramer

With power comes the absolute certainty that you'll become a right cunt.

-Wise words from Billy Butcher

Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:36 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]