Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The X-Files (Season 11) 
New Server, Same X

Post The X-Files (Season 11)

Some big things about the upcoming season of The X-Files. First, above is the trailer out of NYCC. Lots of interesting tidbits, including Langley of The Lone Gunmen still being alive possibly?? Could be a video he/they recorded before their death, or their fate from the comics will end up being on the series too.

Also:

-Season 11 might just be Gillian Anderson's last. I'd be okay if the show moved forward with new characters. The heart of the show will always be Mulder and Scully, but I would like to see a regular series again and I know that's not likely with David and Gillian. It would leave them open to guest appearances.

-Ten new episodes, eight of which are standalone episodes and the other two will be part of the overall mythology. Good choice, the mythology episodes were convoluted on the original series. In the revival, the mythology episodes were awful.

-Writers were originally announced to be Chris Carter, Glen Morgan, James Wong, Darin Morgan, and newcomers Gabe Rotter, Benjamin Van Allen and Brad Follmer. After Gillian chastised the show for not having any female writers, they hired two for the new season. Don't know if that means they'll pen their own or just contribute to other episodes.

-Also returning are Mitch Pileggi, William B. Davis, Annabeth Gish, Robbie Amell and Lauren Ambrose.

Season 10 was a mess, but The X-Files is my favorite show and I'm highly anticipating the new season.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:50 am
The Wall

Post Re: The X-Files (Season 11)
This will probably (unfortunately) suck.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:08 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

If Chris Carter runs the show again, most likely. The only hope was if Frank Spotnitz returned, which would have been feasible since he left The Man in the High Castle. But then again, he worked with Carter on the later seasons and it wasn't much better than Season 10.

Hopefully the standalones and the new writers will help.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:46 pm
Forum General

I'm hoping for the best, but if Chris Carter is coming back it most likely won't be good.

Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:24 pm
New Server, Same X

Sad but true. The man needs someone else working with him. On the original series, his episodes were normally co-written with Frank Spotnitz or David Duchovny (earlier seasons). He was able to do a lot of fantastic standalone episodes, but his lone "monster-of-the-week" episode in Season 10 was awful.

I suspect Season 10 was mainly a "write for yourself" type thing, where Glen Morgan, Darin Morgan and James Wong only worked on their respective episodes, whereas the expanded list of writers for Season 11 hopefully means a more collaborative effort.

Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:49 pm
New Server, Same X

Not sure why but after advertising The X-Files return for 2018, which I assumed to be late winter, the new season begins January 3rd. Anyone know if that's a recent development or the planned return all along?

Anyway, some episode titles:

1. My Struggle III (1/3/2018)
Written and Directed By Chris Carter

2. This (1/10/2018)
Written and Directed By Glen Morgan

3. Plus One (1/17/2018)
Written By Chris Carter/Directed By Kevin Hooks

4. The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat (1/24/2018)
Written and Directed By Darin Morgan

5. Ghouli (1/31/2018)
Written and Directed By James Wong

Hopefully the Disney deal doesn't make this the end of the show. Season 10 was deeply flawed and didn't feel like The X-Files very often, but I love this show and I'd rather see new episodes than none at all.

Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:28 pm
Forum General

So early reviews for this are saying it's an improvement over the first season, but the first episode is pretty awful. Makes me wonder if its better if I just skip it all together, but I'm honestly curious just how bad it is. Its honestly sad that a under the radar show like Ghosted did The X-Files much better than the actual show.

I guess we'll see, but my expectations are still very low.

Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:27 pm
New Server, Same X

The mythology episodes have largely sucked since probably the first movie, if not sooner. Chris Carter has created a convoluted mess in that respect, which sucks. But the strength of the show has always been the "monster-of-the-week" episodes, so I hold out hope that those reviews (which are really positive, noting an improvement over Season 10) are right.

The downfall of Ghosted, for me, is that it's half hour, which doesn't give them a chance to properly develop each episode. It feels like half the episode is spent creating humorous moments for its two leads, then suddenly they're thrust into something supernatural. But I still like it.

Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:01 am
Cream of the Crop

The season opener was okay - very busy. I did really enjoy the Smoking Man montage through history though.

I tolerate the endless continuing story episodes to just to get to see Fox & Dana & the gang, but I hope they can squeeze in a few of the superior freestanding episodes this season.

Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:52 am
New Server, Same X

The next eight (I assume) episodes are all standalone. We won't get the next part of the opener until the finale.

The premiere was weak. Poorly edited, poorly directed. It never sat still for the whole hour, and that's not a good thing. The dialogue was atrocious, so many unnecessary moments. Chris Carter had more than a year of sitting on those negative reviews of his mythology episodes and still couldn't craft something coherent. It's like he said "Fuck everyone, I'm just throwing it all at the wall", including undoing the entire Season 10 finale.

I liked tying this episode all the way back to the Season 7 episode "En Ami" (written by CSM himself, William B. Davis), but I doubt that tidbit will stay as true. There's too much business going on to have CSM by Mulder's father, as well as William's. But who knows? I don't trust in Chris Carter at all with these episodes. I hope his standalone one in two weeks is better.

On the positive, David and Gillian fit more into their respective roles this time, whereas last time it felt forced. Mitch Pileggi and Annabeth Gish were decent. Was fun to see Chris Owens again as Spender. And William B. Davis obviously loves his role as CSM. He has so much fun, despite the endlessly contrived dialogue.

Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:24 am
New Server, Same X

Chris Carter said he will not do the show without Gillian Anderson. She already said this is her last season. As far as I can tell, the season finale is not written to serve as a series ender. Ratings are down. Disney is buying FOX. So I don't feel hopeful that we'll see Season 12 or beyond. I suppose I should be grateful we've gotten 16 new episodes and a second movie since the show ended in 2002, but I'd like a proper ending.

Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:47 am
Forum General

Yeah that premiere was a mess, but its not like we weren't warned lol. I agree with you though that Duchovny and Anderson do seem more well suited in their roles, especially as the episode started out. It was cool seeing Spender back too and William B. Davis is still at least trying to give it his all despite the material being so subpar.

Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:31 pm
New Server, Same X

There were a lot of instances in the original run of these long monologue voiceovers from characters, but it was usually relegated to the cold open of mythology episodes. I'm assuming Frank Spotnitz and other writers reined in Carter. But now that he has essential full control, he just proves he is a terrible writer, at least of dialogue.

The more I think about it, the more I think this was his attempt at righting the wrongs of Season 10. Which makes it all the more sad. But thankfully we have standalone episodes next.

Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:52 pm
New Server, Same X

Last week's episode is as close to the original series as we've gotten so far. Dare I say it was actually really, really good. The idea was brilliant, a total X-Files episode. Feels like something that could be true as well. There are still some hiccups in interactions between Mulder and Scully. Something feels muted and completely inorganic. But I can forgive that because it was a damn fun episode.

Where Gillian was every bit as good as Scully last year, it's David that I feel is stealing it this year. He's Mulder again. And it's been a while since I watched the later seasons of the show, but their interactions with Skinner feel off too. Weren't they much closer by original series end? It's like they went back to Season 1 Skinner. Cold, distant, confusing.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:55 pm
Forum General

Last night's episode was pretty awesome IMO. Now, that was the classic X-Files that I grew up with and loved as a kid. The only difference is that that Mulder and Scully are a bit older and technology has obviously changed a lot since the 90's, but I hope we get more Monster of the Week episodes that are just as good.

Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:08 pm
Cream of the Crop

Yep, dopplegangers was a great episode!

Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:15 am
Keeping it Light

X-Files sounds like a show I'd enjoy watching, but damn, starting at the beginning feels frightening.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:42 am
New Server, Same X

I think the most daunting thing about watching from the beginning is that Season 1 is rough around the edges and the show becomes a shell of its former self in later years. But overall, it's my favorite show and it's a fun experience to watch. But I feel you, 202 episodes, 2 movies and 16 revival episodes is a lot to watch and I don't think I'd want to tackle that. I'm sure you could watch essential episodes and get an overall gist of the show, but it's best to watch them all.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:20 am
New Server, Same X

Plus One was as close to a classic Season 1 type episode as we've had in a while. Some of the genuine creepiness felt so much like something dark we would have seen in that premiere season. David and Gillian were in prime Mulder and Scully mode.

It was fun seeing Karin Konoval return to the show in a new role(s). And it was written by Chris Carter! That's a sign that the man still has writing chops, but he should ignore the convoluted mythology episodes if we ever get another season of the show.

Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:56 am
Cream of the Crop

Last night's 'The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat' was freakin' fantastic - vaults into the top 10 of the entire series. This is the reason I keep watching X-Files. Solid writing, not afraid to be self-referential/self-mocking, and outright hilarious. I loved it! *A+*

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:55 am
New Server, Same X

Definitely one of the strongest of the new series, with way too many incredible ideas to ignore. Some of it did get a little dialogue-heavy in spots, but Darin Morgan just knows how to fuck with the show without it being overtly a self-parody. Vince Gilligan may have done this thing in mid-to-later seasons, but Darin did it all first and still has it.

I loved them even throwing in reference to a Season 5 prequel episode, where Mulder talks to a Reggie on the phone.

It also vaguely reminds me of Rick & Morty, when Mr. Poopy Butthole was suddenly inserted into the show and the characters were made to believe he was there all along. I wonder if Darin got inspiration from that, coupled with the obvious political commentary of the current presidency (hundreds of millions in attendance).

Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:12 pm
New Server, Same X

Season 10 was a nice little starter season for the revival, but I'd honestly throw in the last three episodes with some of the best of The X-Files. Maybe not top ten quality for me, but definitely above most of the later seasons.

Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:13 pm
Forum General

I enjoyed last nights episode, but this season is still pretty hit and miss with me so far. Granted, its definitely still better than Season 10, but I'm still having some issues with it. However, we have reached the second half of the show already and if they can keep up the momentum from this week's episode we will be in good shape.

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:51 pm
New Server, Same X

There are a few things that bother me about the new season(s), especially interactions between the main characters. But I'm less bothered by them halfway through this season and I'm fairly content with the last few episodes (except that atrocious premiere, which probably damaged any chances of a 12th season).

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:53 pm
New Server, Same X

Ghouli is proof the mythology of the show can be done right in better hands than Chris Carter. James Wong crafted a fun, scary, enlightening hour. A monster-of-the-week paired with the overall mythology. The X-Files has been firing on all cylinders since the awful premiere. Yeah, maybe I'm just experiencing lowered expectations after the hit-and-miss Season 10, but I'd honestly rank episodes 2-5 up there with earlier seasons of the show. At the very least, they're all X-Files episodes, as opposed to any of the season book-ends that Chris Carter provides.

Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next