Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 am

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 SNL Season 43 
New Server, Same X

Post Re: SNL Season 43
Jessica joins a long line of talented actors who ends up treating SNL less like a live show and more like one of many rehearsals. She gave it her all, but I don't think she adapted at all to the live sketch format.

Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:17 am
Superman: The Movie

I think I might watch a full episode live for the first time this season with Ferrell this week. I don't know what it is but I just haven't been able to get into this season at all.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:49 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

For me, SNL needs to let a lot of people go. I won't even mention Kenan, he's not even the biggest problem. Beck Bennett and Kyle Mooney are just kind of there. Bennett is in that group of guys who are good utility players, but he doesn't really add anything. And Mooney seems like the guy that a year after leaving, he'll claim SNL kept him down creatively. Pete Davidson doesn't ever do much. Leslie Jones, she fits her niche every week but that's it.

And as talented as Kate McKinnon is, I feel it's predictable where she'll steal a sketch, and while that was great a few seasons ago, she's kind of keeping the spotlight off a few people who deserve it.

On the flip side, Cecily Strong and Aidy Bryant are strong utility players, Mikey Day and Alex Moffatt continuously steal the show, Chris Redd is finally proving his worth (the Fresh Prince sketch was great), and Heidi Gardner is the season's MVP, making a major mark in the same way Moffatt and Day did last year.

It'll never ever happen, but the show should move away from its current model for political sketches and focus on maybe just eight cast members. Cecily, Aidy, Heidi, Mikey, Alex and Chris Redd definitely. Hire two other new members and you have a show that's SNL but something fresh and new. This bloated cast thing isn't working any more. And too many people hanging around that aren't worth it now.

Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:48 pm
Cream of the Crop

They're not so bad as performers, but they suck as writers.

Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:25 am
Superman: The Movie

Mister Ecks wrote:
For me, SNL needs to let a lot of people go. I won't even mention Kenan, he's not even the biggest problem. Beck Bennett and Kyle Mooney are just kind of there. Bennett is in that group of guys who are good utility players, but he doesn't really add anything. And Mooney seems like the guy that a year after leaving, he'll claim SNL kept him down creatively. Pete Davidson doesn't ever do much. Leslie Jones, she fits her niche every week but that's it.

And as talented as Kate McKinnon is, I feel it's predictable where she'll steal a sketch, and while that was great a few seasons ago, she's kind of keeping the spotlight off a few people who deserve it.

On the flip side, Cecily Strong and Aidy Bryant are strong utility players, Mikey Day and Alex Moffatt continuously steal the show, Chris Redd is finally proving his worth (the Fresh Prince sketch was great), and Heidi Gardner is the season's MVP, making a major mark in the same way Moffatt and Day did last year.

It'll never ever happen, but the show should move away from its current model for political sketches and focus on maybe just eight cast members. Cecily, Aidy, Heidi, Mikey, Alex and Chris Redd definitely. Hire two other new members and you have a show that's SNL but something fresh and new. This bloated cast thing isn't working any more. And too many people hanging around that aren't worth it now.

Yeah, I feel like they tried to overcompensate by adding additional cast members when Wiig and shader left and they just never got out of that mode. 16 is an insane number.

I’d keep...

Beck Bennett
Aidy Bryant
Michael Che
Mikey Day
Heidi Gardner
Colin Jost
Kate McKinnon
Alex Moffat
Chris Redd
Cecily Strong
Keenan Thompson
Melissa Villaseñor

I tried to get it down to 10, but I couldn’t do it. That saying, I think they could lose Che and still be fine.

Davidson started off with potential, but he’s really only good for his once a season Update bits. He’s the very definition of expendable and his rehab stint only made that more evident.
Jones is funny but she’s basically “black screaming lady” and can’t read a cue card for shit. Her commercial this week was embarrassing.
Mooney is an incredibly poor man’s Andy Samberg.
Null has been null and void. (I’m clever)

Mooney especially could leave tomorrow and I wouldn’t even notice.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:55 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Will Ferrell shows 'em how it's done - although even he is too often let down by the weak writing. Luckily, there were a couple of funny moments: the YouTube movie reviewer, all on the awesome performance by Heidi Gardner, and the three couples dreading discussing the metoo schmozzle. And of course, Ferrell's George Bush is funnier than any Trump imitation on SNL.

Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:35 am
New Server, Same X

SNL went on their Olympics break after the Will Ferrell episode. Everything felt like a rehearsal last night more than an actual live episode.

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:05 pm
New Server, Same X

As was made abundantly clear in the finale, SNL has to rely today on cameos and past stars rather than the current cast. They even joked about it in Tina Fey's monologue. That should say something over the summer for next season. I say it every year, but this is the year they should cut a lot of the cast.

Keep them: Mikey Day, Alex Moffatt and Heidi Gardner. The stars of the last two seasons, they have been constant strengths in any sketch they're in. Heidi and Mikey even got to share "Live from New York" with Baldwin, Stiller and De Niro on Saturday. I'll throw in Chris Redd because I think he has potential, but we only saw it briefly this year.

Cut them: Luke Null and Melissa Villasenor. Luke did nothing all season, and Melissa has tried but it's not enough to make her presence felt. She's a good impressionist, but that doesn't always make for a good SNL performer.

Keep them: Aidy Bryant and Cecily Strong. The only long-term cast members that should stick around for another season or two. Always seem to bring something to a sketch, and they can't axe everybody.

Cut them: Kyle Mooney and Beck Bennett. Beck reminds me of Chris Parnell. A good utility player, but he could easily be replaced. Mooney shouldn't be on SNL. He seems like someone that is held back by the show. Leslie Jones and Pete Davidson don't add much either. Both have been treading water for two seasons at least. And please make Kenan Thompson move on with his life. I know he's scared of not being anyone after SNL, but it's time. It's been time for at least six seasons.

Kate McKinnon is the wild card. She is the obvious MVP, but she also needs to jump soon if she wants to try her hand at being a legit movie star. Much longer on SNL, and she'll be associated with the show for too long and her potential will diminish.

Mon May 21, 2018 8:51 pm
Keeping it Light

Good analysis, agree with those keeps and cuts.

Tue May 22, 2018 12:59 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Heidi Gardner's "teen" character is my favorite character in a LONG time.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue May 22, 2018 11:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2