Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
 Fall 2017: Let's talk the new shows here 
New Server, Same X

Post Fall 2017: Let's talk the new shows here
Unless a show warrants its own thread, let's talk all the new shows here that we watch.

I watched Young Sheldon. I absolutely hate The Big Bang Theory and especially Sheldon. But the idea of a single-camera, Wonder Years-esque version of his childhood was intriguing. The pilot was as obnoxious as Sheldon, but I don't think it was as god-awful as some have said. If Sheldon wasn't an established character on an overrated sitcom, it might be better, but knowing who he grows up to be and knowing he doesn't ever change, ruins any potential.

In the age of the retro, 80s-90s set family sitcoms (The Goldbergs, Fresh Off the Boat), it's not a terrible addition. Just not in any way original.

Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:30 pm
The Wall

Post Re: Fall 2017: Let's talk the new shows here
I have no idea what new shows are premiering. None of the names stuck with me since the upfronts.

Wed Sep 27, 2017 4:21 pm
Profile WWW
Hold the door!

Young Sheldon wasn't bad. It has potential.

Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:04 pm
New Server, Same X

Me, Myself & I is an interesting idea for a movie, but I'm not sold on it as a show. The pilot was extremely hectic, jumping back and forth in the timeline. I liked the little bits I'd see, but just when I was getting into one scene, they jump back or ahead in time. Each timeline is interesting (I did prefer the youngest version), but the show's star is kind of the biggest liability. I don't buy him as a leading man. He's upstaged by John Larroquette and Jack Dylan Grazer.

And the whole plot feels like a Disney series: a ne'er-do-well inventor is fighting to catch a big break with a new idea. Lots of hilarity ensues with his arsenal of Inspector Gadget gizmos. I don't feel any sort of connection to his plight.

The show's greatest achievement might be how it'll explain a short, chubby Bobby Moynihan will grow up to be a tall, lanky John Larroquette. And completely changes hair styles.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:27 am
New Server, Same X

Also, as someone who is unashamed to be a King of Queens repeats watcher, I gave Kevin Can Wait another shot with the addition of Leah Remini. I didn't even finish it. Possibly the worst sitcom I've seen in a long time.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:29 am
The Kramer

Ghosted premieres on Sunday. The ads aren't very good, but the talent is on point.

Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:12 pm
Your Knife, My Back. My Gun, Your Head.

I'm looking forward to '10 Days in the Valley' with Kyra Sedgewick. Premieres this Sunday on ABC.

Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:24 pm
New Server, Same X

I watched 25 minute of Marvel's Inhumans. I wanted so badly to give it a shot and at least finish the first hour, but I couldn't. I had no investment. It's a smug comic book series with, what I watched, nary an interesting character in sight. Iwan Rheon is firmly in Ramsay Bolton territory without the sadism. Serinda Swan's Medusa has moving hair? I don't know, it looks so fake and it's meant to be majestic and powerful. And it's very, very light. I think the series may benefit with a darker tone, and to be fair, maybe that happens after I stopped? But with poor ratings, worse reviews and my own judgement, I didn't believe it was worth a full shot.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:20 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I'm enjoying "The Good Doctor" so far. Freddie Highmore is great and Antonia Thomas is so charming.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:59 pm
Profile YIM
New Server, Same X

The Good Doctor is a good medical drama. Freddie Highmore is solid (although he's very much Norman Bates without being a psychopathic killer), and it has all the right checkmarks for the genre. I'm not inclined to watch again anytime soon though. It's not up to the level of House, the last and only medical show I watched consistently.

I sampled the first half hour of Law & Order True Crime: The Menendez Murders. It is a paltry addition to the crime series of late, looking very much like an extended Law & Order. Unlike OJ, I didn't have any investment or care for the characters in this. It felt less like an interesting exploration of a horrific chapter of the 90s and more like a starring vehicle to give Edie Falco another Emmy.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:36 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Annoying teenage boy aside, The Gifted was very enjoyable. Wish it had better ratings than it did.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:13 pm
Forum General

I'm not a big tv show guy, but so far I'm enjoying The Deuce, Star Trek: Discovery, Channel Zero: No End House and Vice Principals: Season 2 the most. I also liked the pilot episodes for Ghosted and The Gifted. American Horror Story: Cult is fun, but messy, and as bad as reviews are for Marvel's Marvel's Inhumans I honestly thought the two premiere episodes were alright enough to at least make me stick with it for the rest of the season.

As far as Netflix stuff goes I really enjoyed Narcos: Season 3 even though it's not as good as the last two seasons and more people should give American Vandal a chance, because that one really surprised me by how genius it is.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:55 pm
New Server, Same X

Ghosted wasn't quite as good as I was hoping. Adam Scott and Craig Robinson are great supporting characters, but I'm not sure I buy either one in their leading roles. The concept is definitely interesting, but isn't executed well in the pilot. I don't know, I was really indifferent to the whole thing, and I was hoping for so much more. Of all the pilot I didn't care for though, I'm giving this another shot.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:54 am
Extraordinary

I enjoyed the Gifted. I am curious what happened to the X-Men and Magneto. Probably will be an ongoing mystery.

Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

Dil wrote:
Channel Zero: No End House

I had no idea new season started. I really liked the first one. So thanks for mentioning it!

Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:41 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Yeah I don't think Channel Zero starts until later this month in Canada. I'm keeping my eyes open. I rarely buy new DVDs anymore, especially actual DVD and not Blu-ray, but I picked up the first season.

Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:50 pm
New Server, Same X

I'm halfway through Kevin (Probably) Saves the World and ready to give up. It's a flimsy idea that I don't have any interest in. I'm disappointed because the writing team behind it also created Reaper a few years ago, which I found enjoyable. Jason Ritter doesn't have the charisma of his father to carry a series, and the woman playing Yvette is a poor casting choice. In a word, I find the whole thing boring.

Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:00 pm
New Server, Same X

I watched episode 2 of Ghosted. Considering it was a Halloween episode and there are a few more episodes airing before Halloween, it's not promising that FOX decided to air this last night. Other episodes must be not as strong. I still like the idea of the series, but I'm not completely sold. I'll keep watching though.

Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]