Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Curb Your Enthusiasm 
Keeping it Light

Post Re: Curb Your Enthusiasm
Glad you're catching up on this season, your takes are relatable, but I felt the amount of comedy made me not pay as much attention to any of those forced elements.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:03 am
now we know

The fact that EVERY character is coming back makes it a bit shit too. Like, really, Shara has no place in this new season. Leon is getting tired too. Marty, Jeff, Richard are obviously fine. But Mary and Ted are needless (unless they actually get something to do later on). Cheryl is also pointless.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:16 pm
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Partly yes, everyone making an appearance in the first few episodes is a bit overkill, but Shara had a place because of the Fatwah thing, and Leon is just a great supporting act. Cheryl is annoying now, but I enjoy, or well can imagine, the frustration Larry has with them dating which adds another good element for me.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:47 pm
now we know

Of course Shara had a place. They all do. That's not my issue. You can make a place for anyone. Larry just has to write it into the story. That's my problem here. They shouldn't have been written into the story. Shara is a one story character. Recycling her here is nice but it feels more like a "best of Curb" season or a reunion season than a proper, new season.

Cheryl dating Ted makes total sense. It's a follow-on from Larry's insecurity at the ménage à trois and Ted/Cheryl's friendly touching from previous seasons. But her and him popping up after a decade of inactivity. Hmm. Feels a bit forced. I wanted this season to know better and not act like it can just slip back into old shoes. This season so far has a feeling that Larry finally started to believe all of his praise and has just sat back on that rather than push for fresher material and ideas.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:40 am
Profile WWW
now we know

I liked the third episode. Banks calling him "Elvid" was great. His smugness in that situation was great.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:06 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Curb is coming back for a 10th season!

Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:50 pm
Yay, some good news. I'm always happy to watch CYE and spend time with the group. S9 definitely felt like Larry David had this outlet re-awakened for him so even if it wasn't their best year, so what? I laughed plenty.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:13 pm
now we know

I might be happier about the news if the rest of S9 is good.

Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:00 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Episode 4 is back to what I expect of Curb. Great stuff. Or maybe I'm just over the quibbles with it (though I really think that E1 and 2 are low quality Curb episodes).

Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:41 am
Profile WWW
now we know

So I've watched season 9 now. Very good (B+) but still the worst season of the lot. The last two episodes didn't really have any/desired conclusion to many of the plot strands. I hope season ten can improve.

Larry is just better when he is with a wife or girlfriend. It's being the grump/realist because he is expected to be a sheep that's fun, whereas when he's a lone gun it's no fun to see him being an asshole.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:41 am
Profile WWW
Keeping it Light

Yeah, nice conclusion.

Was hoping for a more episode by episode review, but it's all good.

This season does feel a bit rusty in the beginning, and I find it lacking some really iconic moments, but as mentioned great still nonetheless.

Algren wrote:
Larry is just better when he is with a wife or girlfriend.

This reminded me of the great scene where they do the couples game at Funkhouser home I think in one of those seasons, "if you could sleep with any of your friends' partner who would it be" :funny:

Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:18 am
now we know

Richard Lewis definitely has cheek implants or excessively uses Botox.

Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:43 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Rest in peace, Bob. :tears:

Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:42 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

So sad. He was great on the show.

Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:42 pm
now we know

PS: Your cunt is in the sink.

Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I remember Super Dave Osborne when I was a kid and it made me laugh back then. Stuff I'd have to revisit now on Youtube. But he reached a new audience and was so good on Arrested Development and especially Curb Your Enthusiasm. I remember being put off the first time he was on Curb by his very dry delivery, but you appreciate it more and more as you realize what he's going for. The joke he tells Seinfeld is perfection.

Going to miss him if we get more Curb. Wikipedia says Season 10 went into production in October but I haven't heard much else or if he was a part of it at all.

Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:25 pm
New Server, Same X

Never mind. He was expected to be in the new season, but his health prevented him from doing so. So we wont get any final episodes with him sadly.

I'm also kind of surprised by how old he was. He's been around for so long and I didn't realize how far back his career goes. I figured he was well into his 60s but not 76.

Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:27 pm
now we know

It's interesting how people age. I feel when men get to around 60, they stay the same until they get to 80 where they become frail, withdrawn, saggy, arched or any combination of those four. I share your thoughts about his age. I was surprised to see he was 76. If I had to guess I'd have said around 55-65. I guess largely because he wasn't grey-haired.

Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:02 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Loving the new season of Curb. Hard to believe the show has been on for almost 20 years. I thought the latest episode was one of the best yet and showcases why Larry David needs to win some Emmys this year for Curb.

Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:38 pm
Grill

For the past few weeks my wife and I have been binge watching the entire series. I don't know how I have never watched it before since I am a huge Seinfeld fan and have loved Larry David for years. The show is fantastic. I don't know how they can keep putting him in these scenarios and still make it funny.

We just started the new season last night and I am already missing Bob Einstein's Marty Funkhouser. Easily my favorite character of the show.

Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:40 pm
New Server, Same X

Curb is definitely treading into later-seasons-Seinfeld territory, but even the most ludicrous Seinfeld storylines were still great. Curb is no different. Seeing Larry deflate a blow-up doll was terrific.

Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:55 pm
Keeping it Light

Yeah, I think the new season is still great, it feels better than season 9 so far...but at the same time the freshness it had in the earlier seasons has worn of a bit, it's still great TV..but it's turned a bit more into Larry's greatest hits, than being great new material, well it's a bit more of a mix of both I guess.

Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:46 am
Grill

Last nights episode was one of the best episodes in a few seasons in my opinion. Easily the best of the new season.

Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:31 am
New Server, Same X

The ugly section was so beyond ridiculous but the best part of it came when Larry berated Susie for sitting in the beautiful section with Ted Danson.

Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:36 am
Keeping it Light

Yeah, felt the same, it really threw it back to Curb's best.

Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 114 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next