Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Feud (FX) 
Devil's Advocate

Post Feud (FX)
Bette and Joan debuts in a few days

Just announced Season 2 will be Charles and Diana. Wonder who they will cast? I can't believe Ryan Murphy has announced 4 American Crime Story seasons and 2 Feud ones without doing Harding Kerrigan yet, such a good fit for him

Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:48 pm
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Feud (FX)
Reviews are pretty great (81 on MC so far)

Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:41 pm
100% That Bitch

It's ryan Murphy, of course it's gonna have a great beggining. We need to worry after episode 6-7

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:58 am
100% That Bitch

I'm Murphy's bitch, I loved every second of it

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:40 am
The Wall

I liked it. The first 20 minutes or so felt a bit off (what was up with Slavic sounding Marilyn???), but the rest of it was pretty good. Though they did push a bit too much of Blanche into real life Joan and the same goes for Bette with Baby Jane.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:10 am
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

Wow this show is ginna win big at the emmys.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:54 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I'm not really feeling this show. I'll stick it out because it's so short but it's not as engaging or fun as it could be given this cast and premise.

Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:32 am
Profile YIM
Forum General

thompsoncory wrote:
I'm not really feeling this show. I'll stick it out because it's so short but it's not as engaging or fun as it could be given this cast and premise.

Out of the first four episodes, I've only really enjoyed Episode 3.

Definitely not living up to the formidable shadow cast by People vs. O.J.

Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:24 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Shack wrote:
Bette and Joan debuts in a few days

Just announced Season 2 will be Charles and Diana. Wonder who they will cast? I can't believe Ryan Murphy has announced 4 American Crime Story seasons and 2 Feud ones without doing Harding Kerrigan yet, such a good fit for him

I think they are avoiding it due to the film "I, Tonia" coming out this year. But I agree it would be a good one to do.

They should also do a Menendez twins one but i think it will be a network show.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:20 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This show sucks.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:30 am
Profile YIM
The Wall

Says a guy with The Leftovers avatar.

Anyway, I feel this show rewards those who are into classic Hollywood. Maybe the best (season of a ) show Ryan has been involved with.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:54 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

This is the type of Ryan Murphy I like, not the Scream Queens kind - light on the camp, deep on the layered characters. I absolutely love the cast, I wasn't not expecting to be Team Sarandon over Team Lange but I am pretty floored by her. Joan is a more reserved character so I guess Lange's work is different, she's great too though. Molina's character/performance is also great and it's important he works because if it didn't, the "Zzz, get back to Bette and Joan please" could have sunk this show. Then there's Tucci, Davis, Zeta, etc.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:01 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

_axiom wrote:
Says a guy with The Leftovers avatar.

Anyway, I feel this show rewards those who are into classic Hollywood. Maybe the best (season of a ) show Ryan has been involved with.

Which critics are calling the best TV series of the year, so I fail to see your point.

I haven't watched Sunday's episode yet but I just feel like this is dragging and not nearly as on-the-nose about the industry that it seems to think it is. Also, compared to "Big Little Lies" none of the actors are delivering except for Molina and Sarandon. Jessica Lange could play this role in her sleep. It's just a variation on her usual schtick.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:24 pm
Profile YIM
The Wall

thompsoncory wrote:
Which critics are calling the best TV series of the year, so I fail to see your point.

You can find similar claims by "critics" for at least 50 or so shows per year so I fail to see your point too. And the thing is that nearly all shows get better reviews as they go along. But nearly always it's not that they actually got better. You can see that they get much less reviews the further they go. Only the ones that liked the show decide to stick with it and bother with it thus heavily skewing the grade into a show's favor. TL isn't any different.

thompsoncory wrote:
I haven't watched Sunday's episode yet but I just feel like this is dragging and not nearly as on-the-nose about the industry that it seems to think it is.

But it actually is (which is surprising to me as usually Murphy shows always think they're more clever than they really are).

thompsoncory wrote:
Also, compared to "Big Little Lies" none of the actors are delivering except for Molina and Sarandon. Jessica Lange could play this role in her sleep. It's just a variation on her usual schtick.

Sarandon, Molina, Hoffman are all great. Besides Lange, others aren't given much to do, which is OK considering the focus is Davis vs. Crawford and it's a short show. I agree about Lange coming a bit short with her Crawford portrayal. Though I find it terribly pleasing that an actress playing Davis is upstaging an actress playing Crawford in a show about the same theme.

Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

_axiom wrote:
You can find similar claims by "critics" for at least 50 or so shows per year so I fail to see your point too. And the thing is that nearly all shows get better reviews as they go along. But nearly always it's not that they actually got better. You can see that they get much less reviews the further they go. Only the ones that liked the show decide to stick with it and bother with it thus heavily skewing the grade into a show's favor. TL isn't any different.

I am almost bradley level for TV critics at this point, but my take is that a lot is influenced by like 5 or 6 people (Alan Sepinwall, Emily Nussbaum, Matt Zoller Seitz, Mo Ryan, Todd VanDerWerff, maybe Andy Greenwald though more in Grantland days). I don't think you'll find many examples where the rest of TV critics disagree with the consensus opinion that group is pushing. If you look at The Leftovers Season 1 despite mixed reviews Sepinwall and VanDerWerff gave it immediate 100. Sepinwall ended up ranking it 1st in his best of 2014 and VanDerWerff 8th. Then Season 2 comes along and because of their support of the show and stature those two are seeing the early episodes and calling it an improved masterpiece and then from there it's become the buzz-y thing to call TL the most improved show on TV and this ambitious masterpiece. Obviously I'm not demeaning the people who think it deserved the acclaim from day 1 like thompsoncory, but that's my theory of how it got turned around critically with Sepinwall ranking it 1st in its year as the turning point, whether it deserves it or not. I have a similar theory about The Americans where I honestly think half the reason it got this "Best show on TV" buzz is one guy. I used to listen to the Greenwald/Ryan podcast on Grantland it's clear that Greenwald is a huge fan of spy material. They did podcasts about their favorite spy novels etc. So The Americans comes out in otherwise a pretty under the radar way (78 MC, low ratings), but for the spy fan Greenwald it's basically love at first sight, immediately writes a long post calling it the best new show since Homeland, he posts a review after every episode despite them probably getting about 30 page views each. I'm pretty sure he came up with the "The Americans is the best show on TV" claim that's now synonymous with its reviews. If not for him maybe someone else would have pushed the same idea, or maybe it's just Halt and Catch Fire level in its critical status

Tue Apr 11, 2017 2:58 pm
The Wall

Thank you for that. Interesting view. I never went much into why, but I definitely noticed as seasons go on even the shows that had really bad reviews when they debuted are suddenly named "underrated", "gems", "best", "magnificent" and they call out people on missing out. It's definitely something of a trend that's being pushed by fans of those shows (be it reviewers or fans) and not really something that's based on pure objectivity.

Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:38 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Great episode, Joan was just heartbreaking, and Zeta-Jones continues to kill in little screentime - hopefully they got her in a big role (Diana or Camilla) next season

Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:18 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Jessica Lange was excellent in the finale.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:58 am
Profile YIM
100% That Bitch

So, the Lead actress in a mini series at thr emmy is gonna be a fucking bloodbath.

Jessica Lange
Susan Sarandon
Nicole Kidman
Resee
Felicity Huffman

Damn. This might be the most stacked category in any awards this season

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:23 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

You're forgetting:

Oprah Winfrey for Henrietta Lacks
Carrie Coon for "Fargo"
Lauren Graham for "Gilmore Girls: A Day In The Life"
Bryce Dallas Howard for "Black Mirror"
Michelle Pfieffer for The Wizard of Lies
Regina King for "American Crime"
Viola Davis for Custody

It's a shitshow.

Last edited by thompsoncory on Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:24 am
Profile YIM
The Wall

thompsoncory wrote:
Lauren Graham for "Gilmore Girls: A Day In The Life

LOL, no.

I thought the finale was great even though I feel they slightly over-added some story to make everything seem much more satisfying for the viewers. Overall a very strong series throughout (which is a remarkable feat considering who it's coming from) and I'm looking forward to the next season.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:53 pm
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

Susan sarandon should go Supporting and she'll be unbeatble there

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:20 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

_axiom wrote:
thompsoncory wrote:
Lauren Graham for "Gilmore Girls: A Day In The Life

LOL, no.

I thought the finale was great even though I feel they slightly over-added some story to make everything seem much more satisfying for the viewers. Overall a very strong series throughout (which is a remarkable feat considering who it's coming from) and I'm looking forward to the next season.

I'm not saying she'll get nominated (for the record I don't think she will) but she's in the conversation. Netflix is already campaigning her.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:00 pm
Profile YIM
The Wall

There are lots of campaigns going on. That one is useless as hell. Even in weaker years she wouldn't get a nomination.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:42 pm
Profile WWW
100% That Bitch

Who do you think will get in then? This and big little lies have 4 spots locked in.

Tongue Pop!

I kneel with Magnus.

Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next