Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Channel Zero (Syfy) 
Pure Phase

Post Channel Zero (Syfy)

Created by Nick Antosca, who served as a writer on Teen Wolf and Hannibal, this horror-drama anthology series debuts on Syfy on Tuesday, October 11th. The first season is subtitled Candle Cove and involves a man's obsession with a mysterious, perhaps cursed children's television program from the 1980s. The cast includes Paul Schneider (Parks and Recreation) and Fiona Shaw (the Harry Potter films).

I am very intrigued by this. Horror-themed television is always welcome. Perhaps it could be a new, superior alternative to American Horror Story. Wynonna Earp- and Z Nation-caliber series are still in its system, but Syfy is sharpening its game with The Expanse, The Magicians, and hopefully this.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:11 am
The Wall

Post Re: Channel Zero (Syfy)
I thought the pilot was very interesting. It wasn't great by any means, but it showed lots of promise. Doesn't get much scarier than creepy puppet show murders.

Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:39 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I thought the premiere was great. Very creepy. Nice slow-burn quality. Really well-done. Feels like this will be a gem that sadly won't get the viewers it deserves.

Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:24 pm
Forum General

The pilot was decent, but last nights episode was pretty damn creepy. It's definitely an atmospheric show and very much a slow burner. I honestly would have never expected something like this to air on the Syfy channel.

Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:21 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I've never heard of this but it seems solid. Maybe I'll watch it this weekend.

Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:34 am
Profile YIM
The Wall

This is a slow show, but it's a good one.

Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:27 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

My feelings on this series are mixed, but leaning positive. It is often VERY creepy and atmospheric. It conjures a genuine sense of dread and disbelief one would not find on, say, American Horror Story. But it is perhaps a tad too measured, a sense arguably intensified by how uniformly glum and uncommunicative the characters are.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:13 pm
The Wall

Overall it was a very very very good show. After having seen the whole story it was on point the whole time. Looking forward to the second season.

Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:16 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

I liked the second season. Not as much as the first one (which really had a rather creepy and unique atmosphere), but it was still a very solid and intriguing season. IMHO it's better than AHS has ever been when it comes to horror stories. I'm glad it has been renewed for seasons 3 and 4.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:02 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Yeah if you want to watch a show that's actually creepy than you should definitely see this over AHS. I honestly kind of loved Season 2 myself. I enjoyed Season 1, but it was really on the slow side and I thought the pacing of this season was so much better. Also, John Carroll Lynch was fantastic in this and deserves some Emmy recognition IMO.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:37 pm
New Server, Same X

Both seasons were solidly creepy, but lacked a bit of substance. I found myself drifting in certain places, like they didn't have enough to sustain just a six episode season. The first worked better in that regard, but the second would have made a better 90 minute movie. But the ambition of the series is too much to ignore. I hope it keeps going, we need more horror anthology series.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:35 am
Forum General

Anybody watch Butchers Block? I thought it was a pretty significant step down in quality from Season 2, but I did still enjoy it. I kind of wish they would have waited though, because it definitely doesn't feel the same watching it in February as it does in October, especially with Halloween right around the corner.

Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:36 pm
New Server, Same X

Canada hasn't shown Butchers Block yet. Disappointed if it's a step down.

Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:37 pm
Wallflower

I still have a couple episodes left of Season 1. I suck with keeping up with shows. But I do think it's great. Looking forward to watching the rest and the other seasons.

Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:56 pm
New Server, Same X

Anyone watch The Dream Door? It had a three-night event run on Syfy in the US and Space in Canada, right around Halloween. Just watched the first episode and, if it keeps up, it'll be my favorite season so far. Ultra creepy and atmospheric, and revolves around a character that's equal parts silly and scary.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:34 pm
Forum General

Yep I binged it right around Halloween and I very much enjoyed it. Not quite as good as Season 2 for me, but it's definitely better than Season 1 and Butchers Block. Pretzel Jack is easily one of the creepiest and most effective movie monsters I have seen in a while and I actually found the story pretty interesting and engaging this time around. I love that they didn't over complicate things either like they have done with the past seasons.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]