Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ] 
 "24: Legacy" (FOX) 
You must have big rats

Post "24: Legacy" (FOX)
Set to debut after the Super Bowl on February 5, 2017. Corey Hawkins plays the lead. Carlos Bernard has just been confirmed to return as Tony. They are still playing coy about whether Sutherland or Mary Lynn Rajskub will pop up at some point.

Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:23 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: "24: Legacy" (FOX)
Loved the script for the pilot of this. Really excited for the series.

Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:18 pm
Profile YIM
New Server, Same X

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Set to debut after the Super Bowl on February 5, 2017. Corey Hawkins plays the lead. Carlos Bernard has just been confirmed to return as Tony. They are still playing coy about whether Sutherland or Mary Lynn Rajskub will pop up at some point.

That's cool, except I thought they were making it a clean slate, at least for the first season. Still, 24 has basically built itself on bringing back old characters, so it makes sense.

I would really prefer Kiefer Sutherland to never appear, unless they do an entire season of Jack Bauer for closure. I don't want him to pop up in any recurring role. But I do want some sense of closure for the character.

Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:14 am
You must have big rats

I hope they clean up the mess they have made of Tony in Season 7...

Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:23 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Michael Massee passed away. Most remember him as the actor who accidentally shot and killed Brandon Lee on the set of The Crow, but my first time seeing Michael Massee was as Ira Gaines, the first major villain on 24.

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:17 am
You must have big rats

Just watched the pilot. Classic 24 stuff. Potential mole, insubordination, badass kills, split-screens, superfluous drama subplot...several callbacks to the original series (an unexpected character gets name-dropped). But I missed Jack Bauer.

Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:31 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

These first two episodes have been very 24 by-the-numbers. Not having Jack Bauer additionally makes this to be a slightly unnecessary revival. The school story line so far is one of the worst I've ever seen on 24.

Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:39 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I've only watched the first episode, and while it was definitely good and it's fun to have 24 back on the air, it didn't do much to separate it from some of the lesser previous seasons. Corey Hawkins is not a strong enough lead to replace Kiefer either. I'm not one of these people that cries that they cast a black actor to lead the show, but Hawkins is just not a strong enough actor to lead the franchise.

And it plays like people that read a book on how to write for 24 have created this show. But it's actually the people who wrote for 24. And it was a cute nod to the original series to have a family member of Edgar Stiles work for CTU, but it's so silly and throwaway.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:34 pm
The Wall

3 episodes in and it's not even trying to separate itself from the original series. It's as derivative as it can be. Every plot is familiar and there doesn't seem any need to go through it all again. Also the high school story has a completely different vibe and tone from the rest of the events going on. Reminds me of the dreaded Kim and jaguar plot.

I wish they tried a different story setting with this spin-off instead of going back to CTU. The 24 idea can be easily applied to various scenarios.

This is really disappointing.

Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:31 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Disappointed doesn't begin to describe my feelings. Honestly, half the time I don't have any interest in what's going on so I miss plot points but I still know what's going on. The show needs a better central character than Eric Carter. Corey Hawkins just doesn't have the same commanding presence as Kiefer Sutherland. It feels like a show written by people who loved 24 but cannot write a cohesive storyline. But it's somehow run by the very people who wrote 24 and the vastly superior Live Another Day.

I wanted to give up after 3 or 4 but I've held out to see Tony. My interest has minimally rose, and I'll probably finish it now, but... even Tony can't save this. Honestly would have been better if they gave the show over to him as the main character. Would have been so much more interesting.

Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:57 pm
New Server, Same X

And it's such a silly aside that one of the CTU characters is a cousin of Edgar Stiles.

Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:08 pm
New Server, Same X

This 24 is like a greatest hits of past episodes. Next week, an attack on CTU. You know, for a place that has been attacked that many times, maybe it's time to shut it down.

I can't muster any interest. Thank god there are only four episodes left. I feel like I have to see how it ends now. But it's a far cry from the best days.

Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:00 pm
The Wall

This is slightly painful to watch. It has all the ingredients 24 is supposed to have, yet everything is so boring.

Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:31 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

And I don't even know if anything is that different except that Kiefer isn't there. Maybe he just made the whole thing work. Without him, all of the show's flaws are magnified. And I wanted to give Corey Hawkins a fair shot, but he's a terrible lead. I get that they didn't want a Jack Bauer clone, but for all intents and purposes, Eric Carter is going to be compared to Jack Bauer.

Speaking of Kiefer, Designated Survivor is doing 24 better than this actual 24.

Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:22 pm
The Wall

Designated Survivor is definitely better at pulling off 24 than the official reboot/sequel series. It feels as if Jack Bauer became president and presidents were always a major figure in 24 series.

And I don't think it's just being Kiefer-less that's hurting 24: Legacy. It's really too naively plotted. It's 2/3 through and there wasn't a single WTF, WOW, OMFG moment 24 used to deliver every episode.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:56 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I think the Ben Grimes death was supposed to be shocking, but if I'm being honest, I wasn't even paying attention and didn't realize until I watched the next episode. That's the main problem: it's not holding my interest at all.

And the complete waste of Tony so far is criminal. He's torturing 70-year-old Gerald McRaney. And Jimmy Smits has a conscience. Yay.

I was thinking Edgar Stile's niece/cousin/sister/not sure what relation was going to be a mole or something, but I think she is Legacy's version of Chloe. Mission failed there.

Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:38 am
New Server, Same X

Three episodes left. It's gearing up a bit, but I doubt it'll be that exciting. Someone major has to bite it soon.

It's weird seeing the main character on 24 with a love interest that will probably survive the season (killing off Nicole would be way too much dipping into the 24 well).

Thu Mar 30, 2017 1:31 pm
The Wall

They killed his brother though. One family member per season.

Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:12 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

His brother is still alive. I am still watching it but it isn't really that great. Not sure what they are doing with Tony. They better not make him a villein again.

Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:48 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Legacy ended just as it began: a shadow of a better series. For the first half of the episode, I thought how disappointing it was that no major characters were killed. Then when it happened, it felt so lifeless and lacking in impact. The greatest takeaway from these 12 episodes is that they tried to mimic the original series and did so poorly, even with (largely) the same crew. And even though all the new characters sucked, they probably offed the only one with potential.

Not that it matters. I can't imagine FOX trying for another season.

Biggest letdown was Tony. They completely wasted him. Honestly, the show would have worked better if it was focused on him, or at least had him in the fold for the whole season.

And there were way too many characters and subplots going on.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:16 am
The Wall

This was a complete waste. I would prefer if they just took the format and not have the show anything to do with CTU. This way the show tried desperately to check all the 24 tropes instead of just trying to be a good show on its own accord.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:38 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

And if they were going to go in a different direction from a white male lead, they should have went for a female lead instead.

Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:36 pm
New Server, Same X

I rewatched a few scenes of the Live Another Day finale, and it's not my imagination: that show blew Legacy out of the water. It had way more emotional heft to it. I kind of wish Legacy didn't exist now, as it tarnishes what was a really fitting end to 24. Even the sad ending of Live Another Day is fitting. Legacy was 24 without any balls whatsoever.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:53 pm
The Wall

I actually don't see Legacy as having much to do with Bauer's 24, even if some characters appeared.

Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:55 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]