Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 SNL Season 42 
New Server, Same X

Post Re: SNL Season 42
Also, I've never seen newly-hired featured players make more of an impact with TV time in their rookie year than Mikey Day and Alex Moffat. And they're really good utility guys too. That guy from last year may have had one role I remembered the entire season, but I can remember a bunch of appearances by Day and Moffat.

Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:08 pm
Keeping it Light

Agree with those last 3 posts. I didn't see all sketches, but this episode seemed a bit too much wanting to show off and actually not being so good.

Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:38 pm
On autopilot for the summer

SNL hasn't been watched this most since the 94-95 season (The OJ Simpson Trial, but one of the most horribly reviewed seasons in retrospect) Unlike that year where everyone was leaving or fired, anyone here now has to love it. I mean I haven't heard of a non political sketch this year. (And it is mostly Baldwin and McCarthy TBH)

Kate is fantastic and we know, but is the rest of the cast up to par now?

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:08 am
Don't Dream It, Be It

Mister Ecks wrote:
I kind of knew SNL wouldn't bow to the public's demand to have Rosie O'Donnell play Steve Bannon, but it was definitely too soon to have Melissa back as Sean Spicer. Although it is a winning performance. No way she doesn't win a Guest Actress Emmy.

I appreciate SNL trolling the administration. Word is Trump and Co. were unhappy that a woman played Spicer, so they upped it with Kate McKinnon playing Sessions.

Has it been officially announced that Rosie is out? She'd make for a perfect addition.

Kate = Sessions.
McCarthy = Spicer.
Rosie = Bannon.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:20 am
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Corpse wrote:
Mister Ecks wrote:
I kind of knew SNL wouldn't bow to the public's demand to have Rosie O'Donnell play Steve Bannon, but it was definitely too soon to have Melissa back as Sean Spicer. Although it is a winning performance. No way she doesn't win a Guest Actress Emmy.

I appreciate SNL trolling the administration. Word is Trump and Co. were unhappy that a woman played Spicer, so they upped it with Kate McKinnon playing Sessions.

Has it been officially announced that Rosie is out? She'd make for a perfect addition.

Kate = Sessions.
McCarthy = Spicer.
Rosie = Bannon.

SNL did make it clear that they're not willing to have Leslie Jones take over the Trump impersonation.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:17 am
New Server, Same X

Rosie isn't officially out, but I think it's unlikely Lorne will go for it. He reminds me of someone that doesn't bow to audience anticipation like that.

Zach Braff wants to play Stephen Miller, even willing to shave his head. To me, it would border on stunt casting if they go for celebs rather than their actual cast. I was not a fan of Baldwin taking over Trump from Darrell Hammond, but it obviously worked in their favour. And Melissa was a nice, unexpected surprise, though it will be overkill if she's back more than once, maybe twice, before the end of the season.

Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:14 pm
Cream of the Crop

Yet another crappy episode - Poor Octavia Spencer never seemd to get comfortable with the live format. I think this is the most consistently unfunny season of SNL in years.

Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:40 am
New Server, Same X

The highlight was seeing Melissa Villasenor get to break out some of her impressions. Bonus points for doing Kristen Wiig, someone I didn't think had an imitable voice. Too bad I don't think the format of SNL is for Melissa. She doesn't do impersonations that can be used in the cold open or anything beyond an impersonation sketch like last night's.

Major off week for the writers though. Not sure I laughed once. Their strength lately are the pre-taped segments, and had three of them last night and they all sucked.

Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:26 am
Sbil

This was a pretty rough episode. Octavia really gave it her all though.

Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:05 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

I thought the bar segment with all the guys being "feminists" was pretty decent.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:07 am
Cream of the Crop

Marginally better writing in some of the skits last night, but the real difference is Scarlett Johannsen who has enough talentand confidence to actually perform on live TV (eg: talking dog bit).

Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:31 am
New Server, Same X

I can't believe this was Scarlett's 5th time hosting. Her first time was so wooden, she had zero ability to adapt to the live format as far as I remember. Definitely has come along since then. She was a reliable player last night.

Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:23 am
Cream of the Crop

I haven't even able to bother reviewing the past two new episodes - SNL has reached one of it's periodic nadirs. It's not the cast's fault - the writing is entirely to blame - it's awful.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:14 am
New Server, Same X

Last night's episode was pretty much the show they needed for their big coast-to-coast thing. It had cameos, Trump, McCarthy as Spicer, opening musical number, safe skits (Family Feud, timely United skit) and a musical guest that appeals to the young audience. Of course the writing was subpar, but I don't blame them.

The saddest part of the writing is that last week's best sketch, the clown one, was completely ripped off a Tig Notaro short film.

Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:40 am
Extraordinary

Tuned in for Styles and McCarthy.

Love the song, didn't like the live performance. McCarthy was gold again. I hope she wins and Emmy.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:32 am
New Server, Same X

Chris Pine proved to be a great host, able to wring laughs out of each sketch. Too bad the writing gave him nothing to work with. Even the cold open felt like it should have been on after Weekend Update on a good night.

Sun May 07, 2017 2:57 pm
Cream of the Crop

Saw it, forgot it already.

Mon May 08, 2017 2:40 am
Romosexual!

I watch Morning Joe and that cold open was hilarious

Mon May 08, 2017 6:02 am
New Server, Same X

The finale was good. Nothing spectacular. It was alarming to see Bobby Moynihan and Vanessa Bayer more than any other cast member for their final show. Moynihan was a decent player for his run, but too easily forgettable. I don't see him ever getting to host. Bayer was extremely dependable and rarely had a strong starring role in many sketches. There's something about a good utility player though. Just a shame she was always in the shadow of either Kristen Wiig or Kate McKinnon.

Mon May 22, 2017 6:58 pm
Keeping it Light

Moynihan is my favorite member of the last few seasons, so sad to see him go. I actually think he fitted the format perfectly and I wonder what he's going to do next.

Mon May 22, 2017 8:49 pm
New Server, Same X

stuffp wrote:
Moynihan is my favorite member of the last few seasons, so sad to see him go. I actually think he fitted the format perfectly and I wonder what he's going to do next.

Getting his own comedy on CBS in the fall. Sounds ambitious, especially on the largely-formulaic network.

Tue May 23, 2017 1:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4